India's sage turns back clock

King

INDIA'S Test series win over England, clinched with a third Test draw at The Oval today (AEST), has turned 2007 team management ideas on their head. More... India's sage turns back clock From Julian Guyer in London August 14, 2007 INDIA'S Test series win over England, clinched with a third Test draw at The Oval today (AEST), has turned 2007 team management ideas on their head. Without a coach, following Greg Chappell's departure after a shock first-round World Cup exit, 73-year-old team manager Chandu Borde provided the kind of sage advice that comes from a lifetime's involvement in the game. For example, the former India batsman and chief selector's tip to opener Wasim Jaffer, to skip in the dressing room just before he went out to bat - to get his feet moving - was especially inspired. Venkatesh Prasad (bowling coach), Robin Singh (fielding coach) and Greg King (trainer) completed the support staff. "Even though we might not have had a head coach, we've had great guidance," said captain Rahul Dravid. After deciding against enforcing the follow-on, Dravid his side slump to 3-11. The man nicknamed "the Wall" made 12 in 96 balls, contributing just five in a stand of 65 with Sourav Ganguly, who completed a 53-ball half-century. "It must have been excruciating for you all to watch so you can imagine how excruciating it must have been for me," said Dravid. "That's the way I can be, a bit bloody-minded and not give it away. But I knew we needed a partnership." Dravid, criticised in some quarters for not enforcing the follow-on and instead leaving England with what would have been a record-breaking fourth innings total of 500 to win, said he didn't want to tire out his attack. "As a captain I get a pulse for what's happening. I have to back my judgment - that is what I earn my corn for. India's victory came just 48 hours before the 60th anniversary of the country's independence from Britain, and Dravid was well aware of the significance of his team's achievement. "As Indian players we understand we do bring a lot of joy to a lot of people with our successes. "It's nice to know that there are so many young kids, in small villages and towns in India who will be taking out a cricket bat and ball and just enjoying the moment with us."