Recipe for chicken bombay please?

Guest dada_rocks

hmmm okay..i still say saute onions first and then do everything on top of the onions..just fry the onions till they are golden and then add the cream, reisins,tomatos etc. on top of it...most of that stuff has water in it and gives out water when cooked, so your onions wont burn anyways....it might stick at the bottom but thats what the stirrer is for :D. That way, the onions get optimal flavour in them..though if you are pressed for time, your method is more time-saving (it shaves off 10-15 min from cooking time).

hmmm okay..i still say saute onions first and then do everything on top of the onions..just fry the onions till they are golden and then add the cream' date=' reisins,tomatos etc. on top of it...most of that stuff has water in it and gives out water when cooked, so your onions wont burn anyways....it might stick at the bottom but thats what the stirrer is for :D. That way, the onions get optimal flavour in them..though if you are pressed for time, your method is more time-saving (it shaves off 10-15 min from cooking time).[/quote'] Thats the way most curry are made. Try it the way I have mentioned sometimes. That is boil tomatoes, peas,resin etc till they are soft. Get them in a mixer, pour whatever masala/cream you want to and mix some more. Then add some chicken to the sauted onion(should be brown). Heat the chicken and onion for a bit and then pour the prepared masala. The taste, colour is so very different and yummy too! Speaking of cooking, for the first time I cooked Paneer in Pressure cooker the other day. It came out sooo soft..I think I am gonna stick with cooking it in cooker for a while. xx

Hmm okay..i guess there are regional variations in technique...my mom is a rather good cook but she still has a strong traditional bengali sense of cooking ( eg: minimal/no use of garlic because of its strong smell, raw/undercooked onions are a strict no-no in curries, much craftier at cooking fish than meat,etc). And i've seen my mother ( and most of my aunts/uncles/dad even, he is a decent cook, etc) always do the method of 'onions first, everything cooked on top of it then in the same pan'.

Speaking of cooking, for the first time I cooked Paneer in Pressure cooker the other day. It came out sooo soft..
As far as i know, it depends on how you've pressed your paneer and allowed it to set. Some people mix a lil bit of flower (maida or gram flour) in it to give it more form and compress the hell out of it until the paneers are lil hard pellets. Its that kind of paneer that can go inside the pressure cooker and not fall apart. But if you've just hand-packed your paneer or simply left it under a kitchen pot or two to compress it, you are better off lightly frying it and then adding it to the curry. I prefer the latter method anyways- the paneer tastes a helluve lot tastier ( juices can actually go in for a change, instead of factory-pressed paneer or paneer pressed with 2 dozen text-books on top of it) and is easier to make. Hope this helped. But i will try your method- it just means i will have to cook the onions even more thoroughly this time.
Thats the way most curry are made
'Thats the way' as in you described or i described ?

But i will try your method- it just means i will have to cook the onions even more thoroughly this time.
Yes you will have to or else you shall have uncooked onions that shall spoil the taste. I tend to prefer a bit roasted onions anyway. You know the kind thats just a bit burnt with masala slrrrrp.

Who's arguing ? this is information/tips- exchange' date=' brother.[/quote'] Ok ok ! with all the quoting and stuff, i thought u guys had dug deep or something ! :D P.S - Discuss vegetarian stuff guys. will be of some use to me too.

Ok ok ! with all the quoting and stuff, i thought u guys had dug deep or something ! :D
Sriram, food is one thing where everyone has an opinion and everyone is different. People may or may not like cricket or movies but they gotta eat right? Ever wondered how every little town in a South Indian city has over a dozen places that serve great dosa? And ever wondered how everytime you go to the same place the dosa is just different? Well thats the beauty of Indian cooking, its all hand made. Of course if you go to McDonald's its all the same.
Discuss vegetarian stuff guys. will be of some use to me too.
Since I mentioned it try Paneer Masala cooked inside Pressure cooker. All you need is onions, tomatoes, peas, green chilly(raw), turmeric, coriander, ginger garlic paste and some Paneer(if it is non-fried so much the better). Take about 250 gm paneer and cut into small cubes. Take say 3 large tomatoes, cut across into 4 pieces and heat alongside some peas in warm water till they both get soft. Then pour them into the mixer and add whatever masala you want to, or you can simply pick paneer masala from local grocery. Warm some oil(butter is best) in a pressure cooker and saute the onions till they are brown. Then pour the paste into it and let it cook for 5 minutes. After this add the paneer and put the lid on. Let it cook till it gives 2 whistles. Serve it with naan or fried rice..:two_thumbs_up:

Sriram' date=' food is one thing where everyone has an opinion and everyone is different. People may or may not like cricket or movies but they gotta eat right? Ever wondered how every little town in a South Indian city has over a dozen places that serve great dosa? And ever wondered how everytime you go to the same place the dosa is just different? Well thats the beauty of Indian cooking, its all hand made. Of course if you go to McDonald's its all the same.[/quote'] You are right Lurks , cooking/eating is as much a passion as it is anything else.
Since I mentioned it try Paneer Masala cooked inside Pressure cooker. All you need is onions, tomatoes, peas, green chilly(raw), turmeric, coriander, ginger garlic paste and some Paneer(if it is non-fried so much the better). Take about 250 gm paneer and cut into small cubes. Take say 3 large tomatoes, cut across into 4 pieces and heat alongside some peas in warm water till they both get soft. Then pour them into the mixer and add whatever masala you want to, or you can simply pick paneer masala from local grocery. Warm some oil(butter is best) in a pressure cooker and saute the onions till they are brown. Then pour the paste into it and let it cook for 5 minutes. After this add the paneer and put the lid on. Let it cook till it gives 2 whistles. Serve it with naan or fried rice..:two_thumbs_up:
That seems pretty easy Lurks. shall try it out and let you know for sure ! Thanks ! :two_thumbs_up:

yaar lurker, if its not too much trouble, can you kindly give us info on # of whistles for the appropriate steps ? I find that when cooking in pressure cooker ( for newbs or ones who havnt used pressure cooker much-eg: me), if we dont have an idea about how many whistles to wait for, its gonna be total soup that comes out. Edit: nevermind, i am being idiotic. Just re-read it again.

Sriram: Dishes are always easy. It is just your feeling whether you enjoy cooking or are cooking forcefully(I mean given other option you will never cook)
I like Cooking Apo ! Its actually kinda stress buster for me ! The only problem is , i dont have the patience/money to go for lavish cooking every day. I try to keep my food habits simple, nutritious and as less time consuming as possible. :D

I like Cooking Apo ! Its actually kinda stress buster for me ! The only problem is , i dont have the patience/money to go for lavish cooking every day. I try to keep my food habits simple, nutritious and as less time consuming as possible. :D
same with me... I don't do lavish cooking. I try to use what is present in my refrigerator

yaar lurker, if its not too much trouble, can you kindly give us info on # of whistles for the appropriate steps ? I find that when cooking in pressure cooker ( for newbs or ones who havnt used pressure cooker much-eg: me), if we dont have an idea about how many whistles to wait for, its gonna be total soup that comes out. Edit: nevermind, i am being idiotic. Just re-read it again.
CC , if its rice based stuff - 4 whistles should suffice. If you are keeping veggies in the cooker - 3 should do. Add one for potatoes. And for Dal , 5 even six is okay , as long as you have enough water.

same with me... I don't do lavish cooking. I try to use what is present in my refrigerator
Hehe.. I know. I am stuck with frozen veggies , burritos and Tortiallas for now. Waiting for independence from grad life ! But yea , i make sure i have enough amounts of vegetables, fruits , juices , carbo and protein everyday.