Great to hear investment on education...

Lurker

From Manmohan Singh's speech to the nation on 15th August In order to promote science and professional education, we are setting up five new Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research, eight new Indian Institutes of Technology, seven new Indian Institutes of Management, and twenty new Indian Institutes of Information Technology. These will generate new educational opportunities for our youth. I am sure that, working together, we can ensure that at least a fifth of our children go to college as compared to one-tenth now. http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/press_release/2007/Aug/6.asp Long time coming. Lets hope this happens sooner than soon!! :two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

Guest dada_rocks

Long time due it should have been put in place by now but thanks to our politicos fixation with blocking every step initiated by the previous regime.. To put things in persepctive Maywati in few months has intiated 70,000 cases where one or another order of previous regime has simple been stalled.. eventually they do realize though but these things slow the process down.. Anyway der aaye durust aaye.. I just pray things are put in motion to this effect swiftly otherwise election is not that far and if regime changes hands then that will lead to yet another round of drama..

^^ Should be very interesting to see how it affects the mindset of common youth. If the quality is not diluted we would end up with lot of world class institutes within India. That should help India directly but will it also diminish the brain drain in some ways? More so because of the increased oppertunities within India itself? Plus of course if Indian Institutes start producing world class products(finished products) that would take India on an exponential growth. Unless of course we eff it up. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

As far as quality is concerned, finding equally competent group of faculties to man these new isntitutes will be some ask.. OTOH I have no doubt in my mind the institute won't suffer from the porblem of lack of quality students, India is bubbling with starry-eyed smart kids who don't get opportunity to show their talent.4000 number for a billion population was too little in first place just a decade back in our days it used to be hardly 2300. Induction process smacked more of an elimination round than selection.

As far as quality is concerned, finding equally competent group of faculties to man these new isntitutes will be some ask.. OTOH I have no doubt in my mind the institute won't suffer from the porblem of lack of quality students, India is bubbling with starry-eyed smart kids who don't get opportunity to show their talent.4000 number for a billion population was too little in first place just a decade back in our days it used to be hardly 2300. Induction process smacked more of an elimination round than selection.
I think that is a concern but I also look at it as an oppertunity. This shall bring back a big thrust as far as Education in India is concerned. There are a lot of wannabe academics as well as research oriented people in India. They choose to not follow it much because of the returns. The more quality Institutes you open the more would be the need for quality faculty and should be a bonanza for academics and scholars. In a strange way this will make Institutes compete against each other to attract the best brains. xxx

Long time due it should have been put in place by now but thanks to our politicos fixation with blocking every step initiated by the previous regime.. To put things in persepctive Maywati in few months has intiated 70,000 cases where one or another order of previous regime has simple been stalled.. eventually they do realize though but these things slow the process down.. Anyway der aaye durust aaye.. I just pray things are put in motion to this effect swiftly otherwise election is not that far and if regime changes hands then that will lead to yet another round of drama..
i dont know much about indian civics but dont we have a legislative weapon where once funding for a particular initiative has been approved (by the way, does funding for any federal programe in india require approval from the lok sabha as does it from the congress here in the united states?), this funding cannot be withdrawn till the next time funding needs to be approved? if so, cant our politicians approve funding to say a particular programe from the next five years and then not have to worry about renewing the funding till that five years are over? and secondly, do we have black budget spending? like for the defense and research sector? and finally, do bills in the indian parliament contain earmarks and if they do, are they made public?

hey dada what about teachers? this bloke i know here who finished his Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering wanted to teach at IIT and the best they could offer his was 16K a month. can we expect to see a pay rise for our college teachers and more significantly, will there be more funding for graduate studies and higher?

Guest dada_rocks
hey dada what about teachers? this bloke i know here who finished his Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering wanted to teach at IIT and the best they could offer his was 16K a month. can we expect to see a pay rise for our college teachers and more significantly' date=' will there be more funding for graduate studies and higher?[/quote'] tell me about it, I guess salary has gone upto 50000 before tax but it's still too little.. All govt needs to do is give these instittutes autonomy thereby givignt them power to pay eligible candidates above and over govt stipulated amount and I am certain they can raise their money.. there is no need of govt funding. Fopr instance in iit kanpur in funded phd programs students these days are getting as much 25000 per month that's decent number similarly those profs who forsee those research programs draw Rs40-50000 per month on top of their govt salary.. but yes its not there for everyone.. Heard govt is mulling over the salary hike of prof fo centrally funded educatinal institutions.. They better do it otherwise just iit tag is not going to help attract people in large number to these institutes..

Guest dada_rocks
i dont know much about indian civics but dont we have a legislative weapon where once funding for a particular initiative has been approved (by the way, does funding for any federal programe in india require approval from the lok sabha as does it from the congress here in the united states?), this funding cannot be withdrawn till the next time funding needs to be approved? if so, cant our politicians approve funding to say a particular programe from the next five years and then not have to worry about renewing the funding till that five years are over? and secondly, do we have black budget spending? like for the defense and research sector? and finally, do bills in the indian parliament contain earmarks and if they do, are they made public?
Everythign is posisble in india they might institute enquiry on one or another pretext and if all else fails they just slow donw the money release. Precisely this is what happened in the "Golden-quadrilateral" project with arrival of UPA and project development came down to crawl till media took notice and then they had to do it.. I seriously don't understand this tendency of stalling projects just to score a political point . Doesn't matter which party it comes from but this kind of behaviour is uncalled for. IIT/IIM expansion project is the classic case of this malice prevalent in indian polity.. I am still not sure how far this will go and if you have a cursory look at the time-gap over things said by leaders from the heights of red-fort to its actual implementation on the ground, you will know what I am talking about.

hey dada what about teachers? this bloke i know here who finished his Ph.D. in Environmental Engineering wanted to teach at IIT and the best they could offer his was 16K a month. can we expect to see a pay rise for our college teachers and more significantly' date=' will there be more funding for graduate studies and higher?[/quote'] That is the problem with most Government jobs in the country. The way I see it is that the President of India gets paid about 50,000 Rs per month(plus all the perks like housing etc etc). So it is only natural to expect Government official to make less money than 50,000 as President is the Highest Indian Officer so to speak. Still then 16,000 is too low I think. You sure about that number? I would think thats just the basic salaries and with all the benefits it must come to around 25,000 in top institutes. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Indian president perk leaves him in bracket of most highly paid individual on face of the planet.. Raisina Hills rent would run into several 100 crores . White hosue will pale into comparison. Recently saw an article where it was suggested let these politicians pay themselves little extra in name of perk like other govt servants and vacate those regal houses which they occupy. Every minister sits on 2 acres of prime land in heart of delhi. Every MP has around 1 acre piece of land with the usual buyngalow.. I say make a high security zone erect mutli-story building where each of these clowns get a regal foour bedroom apartment . LEss expense easy to provide security cover.. And the money thus saved goes towards salary of profs..

I say make a high security zone erect mutli-story building where each of these clowns get a regal foour bedroom apartment .
What a dumb idea. No security is 100% foolproof and no security remains 'unbreachable' indefinitely. So now, thanks to your dumb idea, indian federal govt. can be wiped out in one well planned attack. Good thing that those who run the country come up with more sensible plans than your nonsense.

Indian president perk leaves him in bracket of most highly paid individual on face of the planet.. Raisina Hills rent would run into several 100 crores . White hosue will pale into comparison.
True but that doesnt mean the President puts Raisina Hills on kiraaya. Yes his(and now her) perks are all too wonderful. I would not be surprised if 500-1000 people actually work at Rashtrapti Bhavan lekin the amount that goes in his bank account is 50 hazaar na. Which is why I fail to see how an Indian civil servant shall get any more than that number. Indian civil servant salary definitely needs an upgrade.
Recently saw an article where it was suggested let these politicians pay themselves little extra in name of perk like other govt servants and vacate those regal houses which they occupy. Every minister sits on 2 acres of prime land in heart of delhi. Every MP has around 1 acre piece of land with the usual buyngalow..
Forget politicians. They are haramkhor. I would not be overstating it if I say 90% plus of them are corrupt.
I say make a high security zone erect mutli-story building where each of these clowns get a regal foour bedroom apartment . LEss expense easy to provide security cover.. And the money thus saved goes towards salary of profs..
That used to be the norm before. If you have been to Patna you would perhaps know of MLA hostel. Thats where MLA used to be put before, abhi ka pata nahin. I am pretty sure there are MLA hostels in other part of the country too. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
True but that doesnt mean the President puts Raisina Hills on kiraaya. Yes his(and now her) perks are all too wonderful. I would not be surprised if 500-1000 people actually work at Rashtrapti Bhavan lekin the amount that goes in his bank account is 50 hazaar na. Which is why I fail to see how an Indian civil servant shall get any more than that number. Indian civil servant salary definitely needs an upgrade. Forget politicians. They are haramkhor. I would not be overstating it if I say 90% plus of them are corrupt. That used to be the norm before. If you have been to Patna you would perhaps know of MLA hostel. Thats where MLA used to be put before, abhi ka pata nahin. I am pretty sure there are MLA hostels in other part of the country too. xxx
50 hazaar hai president ka basic salary actual amount karib double hoga.. BIhar mein bhi ab nakhare ho gaye hain ak ak ke paas ak separate bungalow hai with usual half acre backyard and frontyard. CM's bungalow ka to jaba nahin total ten acre ka plot hai.. right next door opposition leader ka bungalow bhi equally huge hai.. in haramkhoron ko itan bara bara field mein jaise racing karni hai.. wo bhi karte to mante ki kuchh to hua sadupyog property ka par sare do -do matka latkaye ghumte hain pet par..:haha:

tell me about it, I guess salary has gone upto 50000 before tax but it's still too little..
Not true. I was offered a position at one of the better joints in India a couple of years back for Rs. 22,000. Sure housing came at an extremely subsidized cost but it was way to little money for me to even think about it for more than a week.

Guest dada_rocks

I have not yet tried so can't provide first hand information. Are u sure that was total salary offered or just basic. I can understand the predicament on this kind of salary particualrly in pure science where one can't rely much on money coming from privately funded research programs.

I have not yet tried so can't provide first hand information. Are u sure that was total salary offered or just basic. I can understand the predicament on this kind of salary particualrly in pure science where one can't rely much on money coming from privately funded research programs.
There is another side to it that people do not realize. Let me first state uncategorically that the salaries of Indian Government Official needs to go up. Specially for key institutions so as to attract the best talent. However Indians will also have to sacrifice a bit. There is no way an Indian Professor is going to be paid what his counterpart in USA gets. As an example if a Professor gets paid 60K USD per annum in USA(generally thats the range they get in, give or take 10 K), that still translates to a whopping Rs 250,000 per month in India. Thats not gonna happen. The Indian Professor should be happy if he gets paid in the range of 35-40,000. Anymore than that and the prices in this highly subsidised institutes will go straight up! In USA if a professor is paid highly then it is also true that the students pay from their arse and are in debt for atleast 5 years once they come out of the college. It would be stupid to expect more money for Professors in India without the cost of education going up. We will all need to make sacrifice here, the point is would we? xxx

Guest dada_rocks

You have a point but the institutes we are talking about can self-fund the cost.. Even students get easy loans( whihc they mostly never pay back in india) so the question of any eligible one getting denied admission doesn't arise.. Education cost in this high end institute in my view is immaterial. Look at ISB Hyderabad, there fee runs in ten lakhs and there is no problem with it not even a single student has been denied admission so far thanks to student loans. [ But yes we common man who all the time take corrupt politicians to task need to imbibe some honesty in our own behaviour, every year IIM's release list of loan-defaulter students and as of today 50% of the pass out do not bother to pay loans back.] With this kind of behaviour am not sure how long will the loan-system last.