Mohammad Nissar trophy, 07 : Mumbai v Karachi from Sep 8-11

shailesh

I see where you are coming from Shwetabh but considering the weak bowling attack the Indian team has the following 2 options a) Show some intent with the bat and give the bowlers enough time to bowl the opposition out. b) Do the complete opposite and KILL time. In most cases the Indian team will go for option B.
There have been occasions when India have gone into a shell when they could have avoided doing so, but over the last few years the batting has been pretty positive generally, a run rate of 3-3.5 on most occasions. That coupled with a better bowling attack has meant more wins as well. Remember in the 90s it was not only a poor bowling attack but a batting line up too dependent on Tendulkar. But take the Oval test as an example. One would expect 110 overs to be a reasonable number to bowl out the opposition in the last innings with Kumble part of the attack and the pacers having a decent series. It turned out that England got a pretty comfortable draw in the end because the bowlers just could not get it right. Similarly, in Johannesburg, despite the poor batting in the 3rd innings by India, 200+ was a defendable score but again Kumble could not get it right at all. With this kind of inconsistency, I don't blame the Indian safety first approach, as much as I would like to see a more positive intent. Home tests are a different story. Batsmen, bowlers, and captain have more confidence in everything they do and seldom take the safety first approach.

Here is the bulletin of the last day's play! Karachi salvage draw after follow-on Cricinfo staff September 11, 2007 Karachi Urban 172 for 4 (Saeed 47*, Kamal 38*) and 389 drew with Mumbai 623 for 6 dec Scorecard Karachi managed to hold on to a draw after being forced to follow-on on the fourth and final day of the Nissar Trophy match against Mumbai. Bowled out for 389 in their first innings after resuming on their overnight 339 for seven, Karachi had a few hiccups with two quick wickets falling twice in their second innings but managed to bat out the rest of the overs without further loss. Khurram Manzoor was Karachi's hero as he compiled a career-best 200 but failed to save his team from a follow-on. Resuming on his unbeaten 167, Manzoor did not get much support from the tail and was the last man out after hitting 28 fours and a brace of sixes in his 427-ball knock. The 21-year old, playing in only his twenty-third first-class match, already has four centuries and three fifties. Vikrant Yeligati was the pick of the Mumbai bowlers and finished with three wickets while Iqbal Abdulla, Abhishek Nayar and Aavishkar Salvi grabbed two wickets each. Manzoor was in action straight away as Karachi batted for the second time. This time, however, he was dismissed for 9 as Karachi lost their other opener, Agha Sabir, on the same individual and team score as well. Hasan Raza and Asif Zakir added 56 for the third wicket before Raza was leg-before to Abdulla for 25 while Zakir's wicket was picked up by Yeligati two runs later. Saeed Bin Nasir, with a 92 in the previous innings behind him, and Asim Kamal ensured no further loss on Karachi's part as Mumbai, who had given debuts to five of its team members, came out top in all departments of the game. ---------------------------------------------------------- This was a good performance from Mumbai, considering that they were playing five debutants and the whole squad was second string. I'm impressed by this Nayar fello. I'll certainly keep an eye on him in the coming domestic season!!