BCCI sacks Kapil, bans ICL players

Feed

I don't blame them... Not only is he working against their interest...he is rubbing it in their faces. If this thing doesn't take off and settle down ,then he should be ready to take the blame of misleading a bunch of promising cricketers and ruining their chances of playing for the country.

Disagree ICL is a threat and needs to be destroyed. BCCI is under attack. If you were under attack what would you do?
yeah i agree... its a threat alright. how dare they bring more money to the usually depodent domestic level players and improve the quality of the domestic matches by using top notch international players!

Washed out cricket players/ Not all of them i would guess. And having seen a few vids of the Twenty twenty of the West Indies i think the ICL is on a correct path here. The quality of play wasn't great but the matches were exciting finishes which longer formats won't be because they require skill.

I don't blame them... Not only is he working against their interest...he is rubbing it in their faces. If this thing doesn't take off and settle down ,then he should be ready to take the blame of misleading a bunch of promising cricketers and ruining their chances of playing for the country.
This will take off, Radhika. Reasons: 1. It is more professional 2.It will take care of what the spectators will like. 3.It will take care of the players, unlike BCCI. 4.It'll present a smarter package in the long term 5. It has very high quality plans of coaching and nurturing youngsters from U-15 level and various academies are set for it. 6. It is a commercial venture, as is BCCI but it takes pride in saying so unlike BCCI who are still working in medieval ages.
This will take off, Radhika. Reasons: 1. It is more professional 2.It will take care of what the spectators will like. 3.It will take care of the players, unlike BCCI. 4.It'll present a smarter package in the long term 5. It has very high quality plans of coaching and nurturing youngsters from U-15 level and various academies are set for it. 6. It is a commercial venture, as is BCCI but it takes pride in saying so unlike BCCI who are still working in medieval ages.
I can't see how you and others can say half those things.. How do you know its professional? As far as we know they aren't even sure when they can host the games, or even where they can host them. High quality coaching plans? They may have said so but I really don't see how twenty20s 'nuture' players any better then the currently existing domestic setup. At least in that there are ODs and tests. If they wanted any credibility for what they promise: improving the skills of domestic talent, they should have started in one day format rather then twenty20. Right now only your 6th point is correct, it is a commercial venture, and unfortunately thats ALL it looks like being. If its entertaining then great, all I'm worried about is decent players like Sehwag being roped in and then never being accepted back into the international team. As an INDIAN fan, thats my loss, and ICL's gain. Thats why I hate this whole idea.. and I should be worried too, look what just happened to Pakistan..

20-20 is for the players who've signed. And looks like you've not heard about theit expansin plans.

High quality coaching plans? They may have said so
Does BCCI even say so?
If its entertaining then great, all I'm worried about is decent players like Sehwag being roped in and then never being accepted back into the international team. As an INDIAN fan, thats my loss, and ICL's gain. Thats why I hate this whole idea.. and I should be worried too, look what just happened to Pakistan..
That will be BCCI's loss. Once main players start moving that way, on which basis will BCCI say that it'll choose team for India? It hasn't got any authority from the Govt to do so. It does this by default. Once ICL can find its feet, it can tell BCCI that it'll find a better team for India than BCCI can. But all that is just optimism at the moment. If the BCCI want to get over this threat, instead of banning those players, it should pull its socks up to be more professional in funtioning, be more caring for the players, make domestic cricket important and interesting. BCCI might do that if the threat would loom large. And it'll be for the good of Indian cricket.

"Soon we will change to one-day format and perhaps tests blah blah". I have heard it before you told me. But even when that happens I doubt its going to help. The only difference between playing domestically for ICL rather then BCCI is more money for participants. BCCI doesn't need competition, its having enough trouble as it is. All it needs are more competant people to make better decisions for it. As long as ICC is the governing body for international cricket, BCCI being its Indian representative, will always have rights to select its set of players (for series and tournaments under ICC organisation). So whether you like it or not, unless another rebel international body is made (with respective rebel leagues in other countries), the BCCI will always select players for "India". The government has nothing to do with this.

You too are living in medieval agae it seems. It takes just $20,000 and few criteria to be an ICC affiliate. Had you heard that too. If after say two or three years, ICL gets affiliated under ICC, who'll decide that which body has the right to choose Indian team? As it is, BCCI doesn't have a copyright to choose Indian team. It is a private organisation as is ICL.

BCCI doesn't need competition, its having enough trouble as it is. All it needs are more competant people to make better decisions for it.
And BCCI won't appoint competent persons to run it unless it is pushed to the hilt. I hope ICL does that!

Chandan...I fear that this circus cricket will be the (if it takes off)death of test cricket in India. We on the message board may like to disagree but I don't see too many people around me who care about test cricket . As it is these is a major shift in the loyalties of people from tests to ODIs.Only the die hard cricket fans watch test cricket .The only saving grace till now has been the continued support of the sponsors. If this thing takes off...I see a major shift of sponsors from tests to this circus.I also see a lot of part time, non serious fans who form a major chunk of the fan population, shifting loyalties.I strongly believe now that this is going to change "cricket "as it is now.

Chandan...I fear that this circus cricket will be the (if it takes off)death of test cricket in India. We on the message board may like to disagree but I don't see too many people around me who care about test cricket . As it is these is a major shift in the loyalties of people from tests to ODIs.Only the die hard cricket fans watch test cricket .The only saving grace till now has been the continued support of the sponsors. If this thing takes off...I see a major shift of sponsors from tests to this circus.I also see a lot of part time, non serious fans who form a major chunk of the fan population, shifting loyalties.I strongly believe now that this is going to change "cricket "as it is now.
You don't have to worry for test cricket Radhika. It has survived for more than 135 years and will keep ruling the heart of the purists. Of the the average fans would look for entertaining stuff and hence these 20 overs or 50 overs matches. But these are necessary too as these are the feeder of cricket's finance system. If the ICL takes off, BCCI will tighten its functions, try to become more professional or else ICL can take over it if it is really successful. Read the following thread about legalities and why BCCI is feeling so insecure after the advent of a competitor! http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?p=131991#post131991

We should all hope for the sake of Indian cricket that BCCI pulls up its socks, gets out of the medieval ages and starts working for the betterment of cricket in India. And it won't do so till someone drags it out and forces it to do so. Let us hope that ICL succeeds in doing so. I'm very impressed by Kamanth's views and hope to find the views of few more lawyers. I'll do anything to drag Indian cricket from mediocrity. If that means watching all the matches of ICL, I'll do so. I want to discuss the steps taken by BCCI yesterday, but there are few takers here.