Ganguly is not opening material

Just like Indians do in every other walk of life, we are way too sentimental to let go of past. In indian movies 50+ guys romance 20+ gals because fans are simply not ready to let go of their sentiment, love for the hero. Similarly in Indian cricket, everybody wants to go back in time and watch SRT & SG open again never mind the following 1. SG is no longer the same batsman 2. There is a new power play rule and even vintage SG cannot have taken advantage of this since he was always a slow starter. 3. SG still plays the old lazy indian cricket where there is glory in hitting 4s and singles are for lesser mortals. A strike rate of below 50 for any batsman during power plays is simply not acceptable especially so when we are not in trouble in terms of loss of wickets etc. Result is, indian cricket continues to wallow in mediocrity and fans who watch the game for sporting competition are left to deal with a few brilliant momemts here and there while the gangulys and gangulians of indian cricket clap for their hero's every edge and nick.

lol lagta hai ganguly ne yeh thread pad liya :laugh:
agar banda thread padke batting karega tho how many times do I have to start such threads? Anyway, a couple of 4s and six is not going to disprove my original contention above. Today he got a chance to make it, but the same cannot be done every time. That is why Aussies are always on the look out for singles and they rarely get into a rut. International cricket has moved on and constantly looking for singles is the order of the day. All successful teams inevitably are the teams which gives singles a lot of value. A batsman whose strike rate is below 50 for a long time is not the correct choice for playing in power plays. Taking 10-15 balls to settle is ok, but after that you have to be constantly on the look out for singles seeking to keep the strike rate atleast in 80s.
arre I am not negating your views. Thats why in 20-20 none of our old powerhouse is playing btw he is gone
apocalypse, eventhough I quoted you, I was answering others on this thread. only the first line was for you -:) btw, SRT too is guilty of not concentrating on singles but it is not evident because he made up for it with boundaries. Also, SRT was probably not too keen because SG doesn't wanna get run out by SG. As for SG, I think he is slowly loosing that lean, fit & eager attitude that he displayed for a short while after come back. ah well, GC atleast changed his attitude for sometime.
Why not any such thread about UV? 5 off 15 so far
if you read my post above, I mentioned may you can take 10-15 balls to settle in but after that if your SR is too low, then you are not playing it right. Also, we have to consider a few things 1. Yuvi is coming back 2. Yuvi is known to be pretty quick between wickets unlike SG who habitually converts 2s to 1s and 1s to 0s. On top of it, SG even runs out his partners. Neverthless, Yuvi might probably get some leeway but nobody should be allowed to practice or get to form in international cricket. if you are rusty, go get your cricket in order and then join the team. many a times, indian cricket loses matches or throws away advantageous positions because indian cricket is allowing all these luxuries to its players. we think about winning after we give deal with sentiment, our hero glory, giving a fitting send off to our hero , allowing a injured player's return etc. Ruthlessness is something alien to indian cricket and hence the mediocrity.
Excuses galore :hysterical:
old ploy by ganguly fans. if you criticize SG, you have to criticize others too immediately and more forcefully if not, "excuses" :regular_smile: I clearly gave my reasons and I am not giving any certificate for Yuvi afterall he played only 15 balls compared to 50+ balls that Ganguly played for below 50 SR. if you do not agee with me, give some logical cricketing reasons instead of characterizing my posts as excuses.
old ploy by ganguly fans. if you criticize SG, you have to criticize others too immediately and more forcefully if not, "excuses" :regular_smile: I clearly gave my reasons and I am not giving any certificate for Yuvi afterall he played only 15 balls compared to 50+ balls that Ganguly played for below 50 SR. if you do not agee with me, give some logical cricketing reasons instead of characterizing my posts as excuses.
When you have srt flowing in the other end, there is usually no need to emulate him, common sense