ODI Records ( Without Powerplay )

Rajiv

Tendulkar has 15K in ODIs I am not sure how many he has scored since PP started ( i.e, after the 15th over ) - should there be a different record. We had 60 over ODIs which means batters could have scored more but PP extends it this time, would it fair to compare ODI scores and avg's collectively?

all odis after 2000 will produce inflated stats for batters.... i will be more generous with bowlers' records and more stringent with batters'.... a master blaster like Srikkanth had a SR of 70 in those days... there were bigger ground, more fast bowlers, non-flat pitches, unshaven outfields... i would add 5 to the averages of 70s/80s... thts where a batter like Dean Jones is legendary.... his average of 45 is almost 50 now... and Viv is the alltime great for an average of 47 in a career spanning 70s/80s/90s.....

But doesnt this kind of an analysis hold good across several sports: 1. Soccer: Players in the older times would have scored a lot more goals with the easier offside rules..doesnt mean that we can doscunt Pele's records to comapre him to a Ronaldo 2. Tennis: With the advent of technology and things like graphite racquets subsititing wood, power players came in to vogue and touch players had to sttrugle. There can be several other examples which one can come up with. Rules change, technology changes, circumstances change..its how you adapt to these changes and deliver as a player that defines you.

But doesnt this kind of an analysis hold good across several sports: 1. Soccer: Players in the older times would have scored a lot more goals with the easier offside rules..doesnt mean that we can doscunt Pele's records to comapre him to a Ronaldo 2. Tennis: With the advent of technology and things like graphite racquets subsititing wood, power players came in to vogue and touch players had to sttrugle. There can be several other examples which one can come up with. Rules change, technology changes, circumstances change..its how you adapt to these changes and deliver as a player that defines you.
more in some cases, and less in others... in cricket, like i mentioned earlier, 70s/80s/early 90s were better for bowling and last 10 yrs were better for batting due to rules, pitches, lack of good bowlers, gear, bat materials etc