Bond reported to be on ICL radar

Feed

According to a New Zealand-based Sunday paper, the Indian Cricket League has made a "staggering" offer to fast bowler Shane Bond in a bid to sign him. More... Crowe hopes Fleming will concentrate on his Test career Bond reported to be on ICL radar Cricinfo staff August 26, 2007 spacer.gif New Zealand fast bowler Shane Bond has been made a "staggering" offer by the Indian Cricket League, the Herald on Sunday has reported. However, Bond has refused to comment on whether he has been approached. The ICL already has several international batsmen on its roster but no renowned bowlers. The Herald said the ICL had approached Stephen Fleming, Chris Harris, Chris Cairns and Nathan Astle, besides Bond, and had five other targets. Former captain Martin Crowe told the paper that getting a lower pay compared to cricketers in other countries was "a reality of playing in New Zealand". "There's two ways of looking at it. You either have a desire to play for your country, or you look at it [the ICL] as an opportunity to get a retirement package going." Regarding Fleming, who was reported to have been offered around $440,000, Crowe said, "I took it he gave up the one-day international captaincy to focus the rest of his career on Test cricket. I hope that's still the case." The New Zealand Cricket Players' Association manager Heath Mills urged the ICC to support the ICL but New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan said the board would decide on its stance on the ICL next week.

Bond probably is the biggest fish if ICL can get him. I don't know if Flem is going to join ICL. The other day I saw was him practicing at the academy and I reckon that points to him getting ready for the upcoming season.
Apparantly, Fleming has been advised to wait for the professional league thing. If that doesn't materialise (I think if CA is working on it, they will make it materialise) then he can join ICL. But Bond?? Well, now your question about injury to contracted players in ICL will be quite valid, Ravi. Because no bowler is as injury prone as Bond is. But doesn't Bond have a central contract? I read that players contracted to NZ cricket board won't be allowed to join ICL?