Tendulkar shoulder before wicket....

CC1981

That is uncharted territory for him. Its something he CANNOT judge , the first time.
And that is where you are wrong/not good enough in your umpiring technique. If your fundamentals are right and your checkpoints far well defined, you CAN judge an unforseen scenario. As i said, the fact that the umpire had never ruled on a ball hitting the shoulder, is irrelevant. What is relevant is that the umpire could see that Tendu wasnt offering a shot, the ball hit the shoulder which is a couple of feet forward from the stumps & 1 cm (at best) higher and the ball is falling. It is most definitely out. Remember that if you are NOT offering a shot like Tendu was, benifit of the doubt does NOT go to the batsman. People have been declared out lbw not offering a shot for a lot less clear-cut than this incident.
since you know "exactly" how these things work, could you elaborate?
Oh ffs ! I have no idea how i can explain the physics behind this without pen and paper and i really am not arsed enough for it. The physics involved behind the method in which the speed gun records speed makes it an inaccurate instrument. It will give high readings for the yorker/full tosses AND bouncers/short pitched ones than any other kind of deliveries.
What is relevant is that the umpire could see that Tendu wasnt offering a shot, the ball hit the shoulder which is a couple of feet forward from the stumps & 1 cm (at best) higher and the ball is falling. It is most definitely out. Remember that if you are NOT offering a shot like Tendu was, benifit of the doubt does NOT go to the batsman. People have been declared out lbw not offering a shot for a lot less clear-cut than this incident.
Actually not really sure if you're on the right track. Benefit of doubt goes to the batsman even if he's taking a pi.ss. It should be more than couple of feet and the ball was NOT falling. And earlier mistakes don't make this one fine. If that was the case then every ball missing the edge would be out given the precedence Mr Batman set. Now hoping not to see another thread tomorrow how that was the right decision
Benefit of doubt goes to the batsman even if he's taking a pi.ss.
NOT when the batsman is not offering a shot. Don't you ever hear the commentators and about blindly padding up deliveries ?
the ball was NOT falling.
it most definitely was. Basic knowledge of projectile motion and basic eyesight confirms this from a side-on slow motion replay.
NOT when the batsman is not offering a shot. Don't you ever hear the commentators and about blindly padding up deliveries ? it most definitely was. Basic knowledge of projectile motion and basic eyesight confirms this from a side-on slow motion replay.
I may be wrong, so would like others to confirm, but not offering a shot only allows chances of lbw even if hit outside the line. So, what exactly do we need, extra slow mo or basic eyesight?

P_efi3p5jQ4 This video clearly shows that the ball was FALLING and not rising when it hit the shoulder. And i am NOT basing this on the still-shot in the feed (where the ball is shown just moments after its hit tendulkar's shoulder) but on the trajectory of the ball. After repeated viewing, it is clear that the ball MUST end up on a lower point than tendulkar's shoulder if it was allowed to go on.

that means some doubt, which should automatically mean not out
False. Doubt in a process cannot be descerned from the length of the process. He might've just been thinking it over again since it is not a very common occurance. But that doesnt mean tendulkar should be given not out simply because of how 'uncommon' it is. It doesnt mean doubt either- it simply means 'i want to reconfirm'.
Umm, if you are not offering a shot and you are hit on the line with stumps, you are a goner, 100.00% of the time. That is, provided the umpire is not a retard.
Yep, since the height is never a factor. Oh wait, now another endless circle begins.
Yep, since the height is never a factor. Oh wait, now another endless circle begins.
Don't be a jerk- i've already mentioned that height is a factor repeatedly. You didn't mention height either when you said ' but not offering a shot only allows chances of lbw even if hit outside the line'. I simply took it to mean that you are talking of this PROVIDED the height requirement has been met, not laying a rather pedantic and obvious 'trap' for chest-thumping purposes.
And i must say that you are NOT observing the slow motion trajectory of the ball carefully enough.
Nah, I did and probably long before you cause I saw that match part live on tv too. BTW, are you sure the impact is only a couple of feet away after watching it so many times.
False. Doubt in a process cannot be descerned from the length of the process. He might've just been thinking it over again since it is not a very common occurance. But that doesnt mean tendulkar should be given not out simply because of how 'uncommon' it is. It doesnt mean doubt either- it simply means 'i want to reconfirm'.
Missing the point, which is benefit of the doubt goes to the batsman ALL the time
probably long before you cause I saw that match part live on tv too.
And seeing this 2 yrs before i saw this makes your assessment of the same fscking replay better. Right- i am out of this thread- this is no longer logical or in good faith with you.
impact is only a couple of feet away after watching it so many times.
The phrase 'couple of feet' is not used literally in english in conversation. Again, like i said, it is no longer worth discussing this wth you if you are going to be a git about it and make such lame attempts at twisting words and playing the fool.
Please note: Radar is subject to "Angle Error". The formula is Cosine of angle X actual speed = radar reading. At small angles the error is very small. If angle is 5 degrees, then radar will read 99.6% of actual speed Example speed 50 MPH gun reading 49.8 MPH If angle is 10 degrees, then radar will read 98.5% of actual speed Example speed 50 MPH gun reading 49.2 MPH If angle is 15 degrees, then radar will read 96.6% of actual speed Example speed 50 MPH gun reading 48.3 MPH
http://www.onsitetools.com/measuring/speed/sports-radar-gun/detail/STRG/