Dravid - Worst Captain

sacsachin

Another indictment of Rahul's captaincy " Where England had toasted Ravi Bopara and Stuart Broad at Manchester, India celebrated the emergence of their latest finisher, Robin Uthappa. He walked in with 83 needed in 9.4 overs but guided the chase with an audacious 33-ball 47. "I have never seen him batting at No. 7," said Dravid, who has watched his development for Karnataka and India. "He's always had power and a good cricketing brain. "He has been with the team for the last one year and half and developing his cricket all the time. The way he bats in the nets is something like he's begging to be selected. Credit to him because he might not have batted at No. 7 in his life, but here he managed to control the chase." Honestly , what was the team management thinking when they they had sent Uthappa at 7 ? The captain says he knew Uthappa hadnt batted at no.7 before , didnt know how he would play in that position and yet decides to play him there. This is all too puzzling. If this was just a calculated gamble to replace Karthik with Uthappa , its fine. But , is this way players are slotted in their batting order ?
Do u expect Dravid to share the entire thought process from the dressing room to the press? Wont he become Ganguly of Zimbabwe then? I think a couple of things that could have gone through dravid's mind was 1) Uthappa was replacing Karthin our current #7. 2) Uthappa is an aggressive batsman and has a lot of shots in his kitty along with t he ability to hit through the line. He is a fast runner. All ideal characteristics for a #7 batsman
Another indictment of Rahul's captaincy " Where England had toasted Ravi Bopara and Stuart Broad at Manchester, India celebrated the emergence of their latest finisher, Robin Uthappa. He walked in with 83 needed in 9.4 overs but guided the chase with an audacious 33-ball 47. "I have never seen him batting at No. 7," said Dravid, who has watched his development for Karnataka and India. "He's always had power and a good cricketing brain. "He has been with the team for the last one year and half and developing his cricket all the time. The way he bats in the nets is something like he's begging to be selected. Credit to him because he might not have batted at No. 7 in his life, but here he managed to control the chase." Honestly , what was the team management thinking when they they had sent Uthappa at 7 ? The captain says he knew Uthappa hadnt batted at no.7 before , didnt know how he would play in that position and yet decides to play him there. This is all too puzzling. If this was just a calculated gamble to replace Karthik with Uthappa , its fine. But , is this way players are slotted in their batting order ?
Yes being honest to us is an indictment. He should just ask the reporters to fack off.

No doubt .Dravid will be remembered as the worst and selfish captain in the history of Indian cricket.If he has the guts he should have bowled the last over (as he was preffered over Vinod kambli because he can bowl off spin during his early stages of his career).If Sachin can do it so many times why can't Dravid.

I think a couple of things that could have gone through dravid's mind was 1) Uthappa was replacing Karthin our current #7. 2) Uthappa is an aggressive batsman and has a lot of shots in his kitty along with t he ability to hit through the line. He is a fast runner. All ideal characteristics for a #7 batsman
Question -- Then why wasnt Uthappa played at no.7 before. And , to actually claim the team thought Uthappa was a better one day no.7 than Karthik is a bit iffy , simply because karthik made his name as a one day batsman at no.7. There have already been 3-4 matches in his short one-day career , where his presence at no.7 was the main reason for an Indian victory.

Dravid got the batting order right. I would have preferred utappa to come in instead of gambhir but that would still mean that gambhir had to come in at #7. So can't blame him for that. He changed the batting order acc to the situation. But bowling Sachin and yuvi at the last 2 overs when powar had 1 over left wasn't such a good idea. Sachin.......yeah maybe but yuvi??

Question -- Then why wasnt Uthappa played at no.7 before.
RD was a lil slow... i have been harping since the beginning of this series.... he has been oscillating between making foolhardily bold moves like inserting the opposition on flat tracks to making unimaginative changes in the batting lineup like promoting KKD to number 3... Uthappa at 7 was better late than never, as he himself admitted....

When sachin was the captain he was criticized (and he was sacked as the captain)as he was not utilizing Dravid's off spinners. Dravid was preffered over Kambli in few of the matches because Dravid can send few overs of off spin. So Dravid is a decent bowler!!!!. If the bowlers are not confident then the captain should think of some surprises. I still remember Jadeja has bowled few overs in Shajah to win against England (He picked up few wickets may be 4 or 5) Once Azhar has utilized Srikkanth against Newzeland and he picked up 5 wickets twice. Even Azhar was utilised by Kapil during world cups.That is using some batsman to bowl few crucial overs like sending a bowler as the pinch hitter. My point is Dravid strategy is monotonous.He has no surprises when things were down.Remember Sachin used Ganguly to upset Pakistan in Canada.The captain should evolve few unorthodox strategies rather than stick to few.He could have given ball to Gambhir, Uthappa or by himself. A GOOD CAPTAIN SHOULD TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITIES NOT JUST SHOWING SELFISH AUTHORITY BY DECLARING WHEN SOMEBODY IS BATTING AT 194 N.O .!!!!

RD was a lil slow... i have been harping since the beginning of this series.... he has been oscillating between making foolhardily bold moves like inserting the opposition on flat tracks to making unimaginative changes in the batting lineup like promoting KKD to number 3... Uthappa at 7 was better late than never, as he himself admitted....
Gats , where do you think Uthappa's hitting capabilities will be more useful ? No.1 or No.7 ? We already have two power players in the lower middle order. I honestly think we need firepower at the top and hence for me , Uthappa opening makes more sense. For all you know , playing at no.7 , he might hardly get one decent knock every 6 innings.

When Chetan Sharma was sent one down by Srikkanth people like were making funny comments on Srikkanth and we have won the match because Chetan sharma scored 80+in 60 odd balls.Nobody will believe Agarkar has score one of the fastest fifty in onedayers and a century in Lords.If Azhar has not taken the risk Sachn would have never opened the innings andhe would have never bowled the lat over in the Titan cup Semi against South Africca. COME ON DAVID JUST GROW UP RATHER THAN COUNTING SACHIN'S RUNS.BECAUSE YOU'LL NEVER REACH HIM.

I think, it's time to give Yuvraj a chance......he has enough experience of ODIs behind him and a lot of seniors including Master Himself is still around to groom him. Somehow, I have this impression that Dhoni may not be THAT accomplished a batsman as is portrayed through media......may be Sehwag hangover has left me confused.....:confused_smile: