Womens name change after marriage

Rajiv

Is this still practiced? What's the origin of this name changing anyways Most of my friends had love marriages but then reshma became karina, sherrina to haseena, roma to priyanka etc etc. They were still called by their original names but why go through all this name changing anyways? I mean, no similarities but a big jump Is this a total hindu tradition
its another bimar from bimaru...

it is still practiced...my mom's name was changed...but no one used it....similarly my wife's name was changed..but we still use her maiden first name.. The reason for this tradition I believe is to woman is suppose to be "gruhlaxmi" and to start of her new life with her in-laws she is given new name.. I must say its big hassle. Recently went to visit my cousin in hosptal. She had just delivered the baby. I did not know her surname (changed after marriage) and did not have clue of her changed first name...I used her old name and was taken to wrong person, wrong room. Thank God, my parents remembered her new name and I was able to trace her..