Womens name change after marriage

Rajiv

Is this still practiced? What's the origin of this name changing anyways Most of my friends had love marriages but then reshma became karina, sherrina to haseena, roma to priyanka etc etc. They were still called by their original names but why go through all this name changing anyways? I mean, no similarities but a big jump Is this a total hindu tradition

AllI know since childhood, womens name is changed when they get married. The in-laws strictly use the new name I am sure there many of these little specialties in all religions/castes but I was really curious if this name change is still followed

As long as both parties in a marriage don't bring equal aspects to the table.such tradition will be followed. It will stop as soon as women don't expect men they wanna marry to earn higher. Once that happens men have to stop expecting women to be a housemaid,to be prettier or change their last name. Marriage, like any business proposition, always profits the person who puts more into it initially,higher.

All girls used to change their first name and last name before. (up til the 70's)and then it became only the last name (though in some csts they still change the first name as well). It has to do with some "new beginning" or some other absurd ideology :giggle: