I can fill the all-rounder's spot: Tiwari

Feed

Manoj Tiwari is looking to prove his worth in the home series against South Africa A. More... I can fill the all-rounder's spot: Tiwari TNN / Arghya Ganguly NEW DELHI, September 12: Some address him as the Chota Dada, others define him as the bumptious young upstart with a smashmouth attitude but Manoj Tiwari prefers to be called India's KP (Kevin Pietersen). Tiwari, the Bengal middle-order batsman, is more a bust-a-gutters than a play-within-yourself player. This attitude proved counter-productive though when he dived for the ball "as if it was going for four" and hurt his shoulder during a simple fielding drill on the eve of his international debut against Bangladesh four months back. The 20-year-old is now looking to prove his worth in the home series against South Africa A. How frustrating was the injury phase? It was boring because I had to keep doing the same exercise for two months to strengthen my shoulder. But I used to grind it out thinking that if I don't do this exercise I won't be able to play for Bengal again. How did you utilise the period? I have stored some of my better knocks in my laptop. I went through them again and again to motivate myself. Like the 210 against Mumbai in the Ranji league phase which was a make-or-break game for me; the 94 against Mumbai in the Ranji final...I was the best in the domestic season last year. First Dr Anant Joshi, then physician TK Bannerjee and orthopedist Ronnen Roy and then Dr Wallace. Why were so many doctors consulted? I went to Dr Joshi in Mumbai after my injury. He immediately prescribed surgery. Next day was my surgery but my mother started crying after I told her about it. That's why I had to take a second opinion. I consulted some more doctors and they also advised surgery but just when I was about to go through with it, Sachin Tendulkar gave me a call and asked me to contact Dr Wallace, who had operated his shoulder. Thanks to Sachin, I got the best treatment. Can you make it to the Indian Team for the Australia series? I've got a realistic chance. Right now India need an all-rounder and I can fill the spot.

Legspin. Or more precisely, ineffective, useless, part-time leg spin that has bought him 5 first class wickets in 15 games at at an average of 60+. Let him focus on his batting and try and force his way into the side on the strength of his greatest ability rather than turning into a jack of all trades like a Shane Watson.