India Lack An Afridi

Dhondy

Sacrilege? But think about it. He routinely comes in after the seamers for Pakistan, picks up two or three wickets and puts a lid on the game. For me, he is the best attacking ODI spinner in the world. None of our spinners, Powar, Bhajji or Chawla, fit the bill. Powar and Bhajji are defensive bowlers and Chawla has a lot to learn. So when one of the seamers has an off day, we have no backup. There's no Afridi-equivalent to come in in the middle overs and turn the game around. The man may have lost a bit of his batting oomph, but India don't have his equal in bowling.

About a year ago, he was the most underrated bowler in the world. By now, people have realized his importance. Like Osman Samiuddin said in a recent article, his bowling is inspired from that typical galli cricket bowling attitude. Rush through the overs. Bowl every kind of delivery. Surprise the batsman. Don't let them get settled. That's all that needed.

i believe there is no need to commit to self loathing after one incomplete match. notice that the past three ODI series we have played have been against the very best middle orders in the world: Sout africa with kallis, kemp and the lot; England with Pietersen, Bell and Collingwood and now Australia who save for hussey in the middle were at their full strength when it comes to middle orders. its not a matter of lacking a decent spinner or fast bowler, but its a matter of playing strong lineups on insipid pitches from the perspective of the bowlers. we did everything right today: fielded like possessed men (heck even ganguly was throwing his 35 year old behind about the field to good effect and save for one misfield by sreesanth that conceeded 2 extra runs, we were exceptional); bowled rather well in the opening overs and had it not been for the fortuitous survival of brad haddin in powar's second over when the ball just skimmed over the stumps, we would be subjecting ourselves so such reproachment. that being said, i do feel that we are wasting pathan as a second change bowler. he is able to contain the batsmen for a couple of overs at best, wont be a wicket taker and might as well be substituted for another spinner such as chawla or harbhajan. powar when bowling with harbhajan on the other end is absolutely brilliant.

I dont know about Afridi as a consistent wicket taking option. Is he better than a full time bowler ? Am not so sure. He is doing what Pathan used to do an year ago. Fallback on his batting when his bowling is avg & bowling when his batting is avg. Fortunately for him, Pak players are busy whipping each other in the dressing room and no one is really pushing him for his spot. His real test will come during the Ind-Pak ODIs. I'll reserve my judgement on him as a bowler until then.

Are you sure :
[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]                     Mat    I  NO  Runs HS1  HS2  HS3     Ave 100  50   0[/FONT]
[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]overall               47   47   1   868  92   69   53   18.86   0   4   6[/FONT]

:hysterical::hysterical:WTF..an earth shattering average of 18.86 after 47 matches.....Pakis are a truly democratic team...no difference in batting avg between number1 and number 11:haha:

Afridi is rubbish. Bowling, batting, everything. Especially against India. He is a useless piece of sh*t who wouldn't make an Indian "C" team. Just a worthless bits and pieces player. Only a crap team like Fakistan would play someone like him. OK, Banglastan too. I am surprised Dhondy, of all people - came up with a thread like this.

we also seem to overlook the fact that afridi is a rotting banana peel that pakistan persisted with for over 10 years. and it was only since 2006 did he start performing consistently with the ball. so if we are looking for a decent middle overs ODI bowler with an eye to world cup 2015, yeah lets recruit one.