Salman Khan's hit and run case eye witness dies

Guest dada_rocks

Basic question, Why is Bihar so lawless ? Surely illiteracy couldnt be the only reason. Is it got to do something with the social/caste fabric of the state ?
Casteism is a big factor yes. Most of the strongmen in Bihar today belong to upper caste. Quite a few of these are perceived as Robin Hoods within their followers, more so after Mandal Commission set UP/Bihar ablaze. It was given further fuel by the lower caste focus by Lalloo and his cronies(I cant beleive this man is running Railways and getting popularity in India otherwise). So basically it boils down to groupism and might is right scenario. The other issue is land reforms. Without these there has always two classes - landless and landlords. The fight continues even today, only it gets increasingly violent with Naxalites having entered the picture in past 10 years or so. xxx

So Lurks, what you are essentially saying is that there are many reasons for people to arm themselves , from sort of self-help groups and protect themselves from rival gangs and warlords ? That is one vicious cycle that is almost impossible to break . Still cant believe that people like Shahabuddin have actually become MPs and was seated in the same place that was adorned by some outstanding and distinguished Indians. Wasnt he charge for treason and even supporting Pakistani terrorists ? If there is one thing that i like the communists for , it is that very few of them have criminal backgrounds

So Lurks, what you are essentially saying is that there are many reasons for people to arm themselves , from sort of self-help groups and protect themselves from rival gangs and warlords ? That is one vicious cycle that is almost impossible to break
Yes, that and the simple fact that Biharis, in general, dont sing by the same hymn sheet. It is as much due to casteism as is the fact that people are fiercly Independent. So unlike Bombay which has a major Don(or perhaps 2-3 Dons) in Bihar most of the towns have pockets of influences. So even the most powerful strongmen often find themselves not respected within their own sphere of influence.
Still cant believe that people like Shahabuddin have actually become MPs and was seated in the same place that was adorned by some outstanding and distinguished Indians. Wasnt he charge for treason and even supporting Pakistani terrorists ? If there is one thing that i like the communists for , it is that very few of them have criminal backgrounds
Well Shahabuddin, or the likes of him, becoming MP is the step most criminals are taking these days. Their influence derives a lot due to Politicians and hey if a criminal is getting a Politician elected why not go ahead and get elected himself? The reason why Communists(excluding the likes of Naxal ones) dont have criminal backgrounds is because they almost always come from poor background and in general always fight against the system. Now you and I may not agree to their philosphy but they sure do not make the crime rates go up in Bihar(or other states)..atleast not to the same level as these Casteist strongmen. xx

Guest dada_rocks

First of all it'ss not just Bihar whole India is lawless.. On every crime index some other state tips Bihar somehwere it;s UP somewhere it's rajshthan somewhere it's maharashtra..

Guest dada_rocks
Well that is always an apprehension but I dare say it does look like things are getting lot tougher for these goonda politicians. Anand Mohan isnt the only one facing the music, Shahabuddin has already been penalised and seems like Pappu Yadav is gonna face music as well. Not to mention all those numerous Singhs and Pandeys. Early days yes but things look on the up. And full marks to that Patna SSP who thrashed Anand Mohan at station. By the way I can't beleive that only 2 weeks or so we were discussing about this guy and here he is now, on death row. xxx
That SSP Kundan Krishana btw is also sort of don albeit in uniform.. He draws this power from being kurmi ( Nitish kumar's caste).. Recently he gave death threat to one of his colleague Patna DSP.. But as long as he keeps using his power to thrash people like Anand Mohan I ain't complaining.

The Jury-Sys and entire executive admin. structure needs to be reformed through suitable referendum that takes commons into account. At present our democracy really doesnot care about commons Recently, on Orkut.com I cam across a very good suggestion, from one Gujarati fellow. I was kinda impressed by his detailed accounts of how Jury-Sys of India is corrupt and nepotic from core and how collecting taxes from governmmnet owned lands can really benefit India. I may post it later here, when have some time.

Well Shahabuddin, or the likes of him, becoming MP is the step most criminals are taking these days. Their influence derives a lot due to Politicians and hey if a criminal is getting a Politician elected why not go ahead and get elected himself? The reason why Communists(excluding the likes of Naxal ones) dont have criminal backgrounds is because they almost always come from poor background and in general always fight against the system. Now you and I may not agree to their philosphy but they sure do not make the crime rates go up in Bihar(or other states)..atleast not to the same level as these Casteist strongmen. xx
Precisely. Its because the politicians have sought the help of criminals to blackmail opposition party candidates from withdrawing their nomination , or rig election booths that the criminals have started to have political ambitions as well. Its a disgrace to Indian democracy that men like Shahabuddin became an MP. Imagine a man like Somnath Chatterjee being the speaker of the house when this character was part of the parliment . He must have felt so bad everytime he called Shahabuddin's name.

That SSP Kundan Krishana btw is also sort of don albeit in uniform.. He draws this power from being kurmi ( Nitish kumar's caste).. Recently he gave death threat to one of his colleague Patna DSP.. But as long as he keeps using his power to thrash people like Anand Mohan I ain't complaining.
He is the same guy who had stormed the Chapra jail after it was taken by the prisoners, killing 5 of them in the shootout that ensued. So yes the man does take on fights but mostly on the side of law(atleast what it seems till now). Frankly we need people like him to get these goondas out of the picture. Hate to use the analogy but kinda like KPS Gill taking on Punjabi terrorists. xxx