How much do you think India train and prepare?

bharat297

I can tell you that rugby players (in most countries) train something like 7 to 8 hours a day for 5 days a week in preparation for a match each week. They train at a much higher intensity than other sports. For cricket, obviously it doesnt need to be intense training, like 8 hours in the gym or something ... but we should be training at the very least 5 days a week, for about the 8 hours a day as well (40 hours a week, just like most full time jobs). Also, its not just the amount of training ... it must be quality training too. Australia are figuring out new training methods all the time. Before the Ashes series in 2006, the Australian team undertook a grueling army training "boot camp", to develop their toughness and help them work better as a team. Many Australian players didnt like it. Shane Warne and Stuart MacGill publicly said it was useless. Well, useless or not, when the Ashes series came along, every player was ready, Australia hammered England 5-0, and not a single Australian player had a bad series.

bharat297, You make valid points. But, I dont know how any one in this forum will know what the training regimen currently is for the Indian team. Ofcourse I was taking potshots at Viru's aloo paranthas :-) But I dunno the exact regimen, suffice it to say a fair guess would place it at levels far far below the Aussie practice regimen.

No i know no one will know ... thats why the question was how much do you "think" India train and prepare?
ok, you are purely asking for the opinions of forummers. In that case, as stated, IMO - if 100% is what I would call best preparation, I would rate the Indian team preparation 45 points out of 100.

Looking at the fitness level of some of our cricketers, I would say very little overall preparation goes into their regimen. Heck, I try to condition myself, lose a few pounds etc. for some mickey mouse squash tournaments I play occasionally. And these guys are supposed to be professional representing an international outfit.

Yeah its dissapointing to look at how underprepared they are for these types of matches. They rely predominantly on their natural talent, which can only get you so far. I think its fair to say Andrew Symonds probably didnt have much natural cricketing talent as a youngster, but has achieved what he has through a lot of hard work. This makes me wonder about how good we could be if we put in a lot more. How do you think we can fix the problem? Can it be fixed? This is much more difficult to answer.