here they go again!!!

Tugga

arre Lurker mia...i tell you....how hard it is for girls to speak in Hindi...they are all so comfortable in English words...but come to speak in Hindi...they make many excuses.... do you agree that it gives more pleasure to ears to hear hindi words..:D
GIB, I know this might sound sexist and all but you are correct in some ways. I have seen that girls, generally speaking of course, always are good in languages. So while it may be uncommon to meet a Pakistani guy who speaks English very well(dont hate me MP or Kablooee) it is much easier to meet a Pakistani dame with better grasp on English. Of course the situation is not any different when it comes to Indian chicks. They are much better in English vis a vis guys. At the same time they seem to get progressively worse in Hindi, specially in relation to the topic. I wonder why that happens. As for Hindi being more pleasurable I say one would always be closer to him Mother tongue. I mean when I meet my friend from School I dont go , "Heyyy man, whats up?"...most likely I shall go " Abbbbbe saala ch****ya....." and all that jazz. xxx xxx

Aisi koi baat nahi hai Lurker miaan.. Bandiyon ko sab hindi ke shabd pata hote hain, and it gives them great pleasure to use them.. (speaking from personal experience :hysterical:) . They don't do it in open much probably 'coz it's taboo in india, but that's also precisely the reason why many of them find it liberating and exciting.

Aisi koi baat nahi hai Lurker miaan.. Bandiyon ko sab hindi ke shabd pata hote hain' date=' and it gives them great pleasure to use them.. (speaking from personal experience :hysterical:) . They don't do it in open much probably 'coz it's taboo in india, but that's also precisely the reason why many of them find it liberating and exciting.[/quote'] Yes yes do tell :D And that also merits a question. Why are the Indian words taboo in India while non-Indian words arent? what does that say about us?:sad_smile:

And that also merits a question. Why are the Indian words taboo in India while non-Indians arent? what does that say about us?:sad_smile:
It says a couple of things: 1. We were ruled by the British where the only way to do well for the common man was to learn english and thus be more "refined" than the common Indian. 2. Movies play an important role among desis. Hollywood movies are rife with english abuses, as well as sexual topics that are handled in a mature way. Most hindi movies are "mummy-daddy baccha hansi-mazaak away-from-reality song-dance with-a-hint-of-machismo" types. So since you find hollywood stars spouting off english abuses, you get the stamp of approval, but the only ones you hear saying hindi abuses are the supposed "lafangas", or the "third-grade-person on the street" (elitism again). Hence English abuse = good & hindi abuse = bad. Btw, a footnote on point 2. above. Omkara was a big catalyst in the sudden popularity of hindi-abuses among women in the past year :P

It says a couple of things: 1. We were ruled by the British where the only way to do well for the common man was to learn english and thus be more "refined" than the common Indian.
That is what I tag as "elitism of Indians". Slang words in English are fine because English is the language of polished/upper strata. Verancular slangs are bad because local populace follows it..
2. Moves play an important role among desis. Hollywood movies are rife with english abuses, as well as sexual topics that are handled in a mature way. Most hindi movies are "mummy-daddy baccha hansi-mazaak away-from-reality song-dance with-a-hint-of-machismo" types. So since you find hollywood stars spouting off english abuses, you get the stamp of approval, but the only ones you hear saying hindi abuses are the supposed "lafangas", or the "third-grade-person on the street" (elitism again). Hence English abuse = good & hindi abuse = bad.
Tell me about it! English RAP songs with all those thirteen letter words and utterance of b*tch every second sentence is widely popular amongst teens, just replace those with MCs BCs and see the turnaround. xxx

Tell me about it! English RAP songs with all those thirteen letter words and utterance of b*tch every second sentence is widely popular amongst teens, just replace those with MCs BCs and see the turnaround.
If there's someone "cool" saying it, or if it's perceived as cool by someone cool, and so on.. you'll have kids jumping all over it and trying to imitate it. Always remember that humans are after all APES

Influence of movies on day to day lives of Indians - what are the influences and how much of an influence is it - now that is a thread someone should open for debate (be it hollywood, bollywood, kollywood or tollywood) My take - they are an influence, but I think its minor and not major (but again, it probably varies depending on the person)

Okay I know I am going on a tangent here but let me tell you a real-life story/anecdote/observation. Background first: This happened when I was in Little Rock, Arkansas. I had a friend who was from England(Wales) and was working on a work visa. She got laid off and was in danger of being sent back so she took up college. One of her subjects was Pschycology. In that she had to do some statistical surveys of Social Studies of Culture and Sex. I have always had an interest in Pschycology and so I proposed to help her. We created a questionairre of about 50 questions and sampled about 100 or so students of her college, cutting across races to get meaningful data. Relation to the subject: Guys in general did not mind responding to questions, but sometimes girls got a tad conscious with me around(I would move away and let my friend handle it). But by and large it was a rather fun incident. Indians, guys and girls, were not so much into sexual activity as Western counterpart and that was not astonishing. What was astonishing was to see educated girls, in early 20s, not knowing how to express their sexuality in their native tongue. I dont know how else to express this but what do you say when a girl knows what a butt is but doesnt know its Vernacular word??? And if you mention the G word there is a good chance she would cringe with a "Chi". Or if you are Tamil try the K word..Punjabi the B word and so on. Why are we unable to express ourselves in our own language?? :sad_smile::sad_smile: xxx
What about a chick abusing in Hindi??:finger: :D

Okay I know I am going on a tangent here but let me tell you a real-life story/anecdote/observation. Background first: This happened when I was in Little Rock, Arkansas. I had a friend who was from England(Wales) and was working on a work visa. She got laid off and was in danger of being sent back so she took up college. One of her subjects was Pschycology. In that she had to do some statistical surveys of Social Studies of Culture and Sex. I have always had an interest in Pschycology and so I proposed to help her. We created a questionairre of about 50 questions and sampled about 100 or so students of her college, cutting across races to get meaningful data. Relation to the subject: Guys in general did not mind responding to questions, but sometimes girls got a tad conscious with me around(I would move away and let my friend handle it). But by and large it was a rather fun incident. Indians, guys and girls, were not so much into sexual activity as Western counterpart and that was not astonishing. What was astonishing was to see educated girls, in early 20s, not knowing how to express their sexuality in their native tongue. I dont know how else to express this but what do you say when a girl knows what a butt is but doesnt know its Vernacular word??? And if you mention the G word there is a good chance she would cringe with a "Chi". Or if you are Tamil try the K word..Punjabi the B word and so on. Why are we unable to express ourselves in our own language?? :sad_smile::sad_smile: xxx
Sex is not talked about in public in India, especially between strangers. It is between a private affair between a man and a woman. It is a culture thing and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't have to copy the west in every facking way.

Influence of movies on day to day lives of Indians - what are the influences and how much of an influence is it - now that is a thread someone should open for debate (be it hollywood, bollywood, kollywood or tollywood) My take - they are an influence, but I think its minor and not major (but again, it probably varies depending on the person)
Your question has to do with the whole - Does life imitate arts OR does arts imitate life - discussion. Obviously arts include lot more than movies(or music) but for argument's sake lets limit ourselves to movie for now, specially Indian movies. I personally think movies get inspired by life and not the other way around. Sure you can pick an odd instance here and there(we are a country of a billion plus afterall) but by and large movies are a reflection of the society we live in. Take the example of Hindi movies that were anti-Pakistan. Even though Indian movie industry is about 75 years old plus now, and during this 75 years we have seen Partition, 3 wars with Pakistan etc. you would be hard-pressed to find a anti-Pakistan movie till early to mid 90s. The reason has to do with the fact that even though India and Pakistan were sworn enemies, Indians and Pakistani citizens were not neccessarily hostile towards each other. There was little interaction/communication between the two countries and the wars were either fought in battlefields or Diplomatic channels like the UN. It was only after Kashmir exploded in late 80s that Indian citizen mindset started to change towards Pakistan. It started as veiled reference "parosi mulk" and finally came out first time in Aamir Khan/Naseeruddin Shah's "Sarfarosh". The situation was worsened by Kargil adventure as also the Internet boom which effectively insured that Pakistanis and Indians on Message boards would only poisen the mind of others. The result? A deluge of such movies in early 2000s. You would be hard pressed to find such movies in say 60s or 70s, even when we were fighting Pakistan. Or take another phenomenon of 90s. That of Indians moving abroad. This effectively changed how movies were made. The profits started to come from overseas territories and not Indian cities. More movies were made for NRIs or atleast catered to NRI interest in some ways than ever before. Obviously you can not discuss that phenomenon as Indians watched such NRI based movies and started moving abroad, what actually happened was due to Liberalisation Indians moved abroad and created a lucrative market for Bollywood. So in short arts imitate life much more than the other way around. xxx

Sex is not talked about in public in India' date=' especially between strangers. It is between a private affair between a man and a woman.[b'] It is a culture thing and there is nothing wrong with that. We don't have to copy the west in every facking way.
Your simple argument is wrong on 3 accounts Yoda: 1) What do you mean by Culture thing? What is Indian Culture? Are we talking about a culture where finding out sex of an unborn child is illegal? You do realize why that is right? Are we talking about a culture where girl kids are wrapped up in clothes right when they are 2 months old and taught modesty while a boy child can run amoke till he is much older? Are we talking about a culture where girl childrens are often kept at home since the parents can pay for only 1 kid and that has to be the boy child? This culture thingy is a bastion of guys, simply because we do not get the wrong end of the stick. I bet the CM was also uttering this whole "culture" thingy before he said he wanted to see the pictures. 2) Where exactly does it say in our culture that we can not express ourselves in our own language? It is not that I am suggesting we take a leaf from Western book and start tasting the forbidden fruit when we are 14, am I? Or have I suggested things like teenage pregnancy etc etc. My question was why do we express ourselves, including sexually, in a language that is foreign to us. 3) Lastly you only proved my point when in a moment of frustration perhaps you wrote - We don't have to copy the west in every facking way. You do realize that you had to cuss in a language that you were not born with. Do me a favour and translate that sentence in your Mother tongue(Tamil, Telugu, Hindi whatever it is). Not exact same meaning just a literal meaning shall do. And do tell me if you don't cringe for a second..or get conscious on some levels. xxx