Viv Richards vs. Dennis Lillee

Tugga

I wish just for one frigging game' date=' I can get Agarkar Zaheer et al bowl at Richards, Greenidge and Lloyd, defending 300 in 40 overs, on any bowlers pitch in the world , any guesses on the result ?:D[/quote'] I will pass that. :sad_smile: I still have memories of West Indies posting 330 plus in Jamshedpur against an attack that included Kapil Dev, Madan Lal, Roger Binny etc. I think Greenidge and Richards put 220 or something in 30 overs.
Guest HariSampath
I am always a bit skeptical of the " Uz Zamane mein" types of people. It is an acknowledged fact that skill level in any sport progresses with time. There is absolutely no basis for claiming that the Windies team of the 80s will beat the best team our era handsomely.
This is no "in the olden days" nostalgia.... This is a straight forward fact : Windies of 1980s would have clobbered todays Australia as well as ANY world XI of today. Period
Tendulkar when he started off in the mid 80s used to play all his cricket on the rough maidans of mumbai without any protective equipment ... if he had continued that he and most other players would have developed techniques to play that sort of cricket ... its silly to think that the art of playing without protective gear just died in the 80s ... and that people born after words were simply not capable of doing it anymore ...
Why are you worried about Tendulkar all of a sudden? I cant see anyone taking a shot at Tendular so quit it. Indian batsmen in 70s/80s specially Sunny, Amarnath, Vishy, Vengsarkar etc definitely managed to stand against the best pace bowlers of their times. Contemprory batsmen dont face that kind of attack and have odds stacked in their favour(shorter boundaries, heavier bats, no-ball restrictions etc) so obviously they would be found wanting against quality pace bowling. Still greats like Lara, SRT should have no problem adjusting to it. xxx
Guest HariSampath
I will pass that. :sad_smile: I still have memories of West Indies posting 330 plus in Jamshedpur against an attack that included Kapil Dev, Madan Lal, Roger Binny etc. I think Greenidge and Richards put 220 or something in 30 overs.
I know One gentleman who fielded in that game and always used to give him hell about it. He described the experience as "Leg and Leg" :haha:
This is no "in the olden days" nostalgia.... This is a straight forward fact : Windies of 1980s would have clobbered todays Australia as well as ANY world XI of today. Period
Straight-forward fact ? Dunno how something that can at best only be speculated about become "straight-forward fact". Well, That is what YOU think. The Aussie team which won the ashes will be more than match to ANY team of any generation. And as i said , its a proven fact that skill and sophistication levels of any sport increases with time.
Dude they couldnt even win a series against Pak ... in their own times ... what makes you think they would win automatically against the Aussies ...
What do you mean by "even". Do you seriously do not realize that the Pakistani team then was pretty darn solid? And which series are we talking here? The one where Qadir dismissed Windies at 53? Or a different one.
Even the Indian teams used to give them a solid run for theor money ... with memorable performances by Kapil, SMG , Vishy , jimmy ... and rememeber that dude by name Hirwani ... your hero Viv Richards was reduced to knots by a no name debutant ...
In shorter version yes. In longer version Windies clearly had the upper hand. And again what do you mean by "even Indian team"? The Indian team of 80 was very solid. It had Sunny, Kapil, Amarnath, Vishy, Kirmani etc, how is that team worthy of "even" mention? As for Hirwani I am pretty sure you realize how great a bowler he was and whether his performance was on-off or not. xxx
Hmmm okay so let me understand why you think so Holy baba' date=' go right ahead plz[/quote']Skill level goes up with time. Simple. Think about it this way... When the windies were batting, what was the "par" score in 50 overs? The aussies make 300 consistently, on any kind of surface. They also save atleast 30 runs in the field, compared to the windies. The aussies would murder, absolutely demolish the windies.
Guest HariSampath
Dude they couldnt even win a series against Pak ... in their own times ... what makes you think they would win automatically against the Aussies ... Even the Indian teams used to give them a solid run for theor money ... with memorable performances by Kapil, SMG , Vishy , jimmy ... and rememeber that dude by name Hirwani ... your hero Viv Richards was reduced to knots by a no name debutant ...
I know about the Hirwani test, I saw the game, and was even meeting with the Windies players through that game in the evenings.... that game was not a proper testmatch. When I say Windies of the 1980s, I mean players like Greenidge, Haynes, Richards, Lloyd, Roberts, Garner, Croft, Holding Marshall, Roberts et all in their form of the early 1980s
Guest HariSampath
Skill level goes up with time. Simple. Think about it this way... When the windies were batting, what was the "par" score in 50 overs? The aussies make 300 consistently, on any kind of surface. They also save atleast 30 runs in the field, compared to the windies. The aussies would murder, absolutely demolish the windies.
Oh skill level goes up with time ?? Then why hasn't ANY batsman come anywhere close to Bradman's average of 99 in all these years , if batting skill levels have gone up ?
Skill level goes up with time. Simple. Think about it this way... When the windies were batting' date=' what was the "par" score in 50 overs? The aussies make 300 consistently, on any kind of surface. They also save atleast 30 runs in the field, compared to the windies. The aussies would murder, absolutely demolish the windies.[/quote'] Lets take it one by one. Skill levels go up. How? Compare Richards and Ponting and prove your point. Second where did 50 overs come from? Is your argument limited to LOI? Thirdly Aussies save 30 runs, name me 5 good Aussie fielders and then name me 5 solid West Indies fielders that you know and then we shall talk. Till then stay away from words like "demolish", "bs" and all that hyperbole. xxx
Guest HariSampath
Skill level goes up with time. Simple. Think about it this way... When the windies were batting' date= what was the "par" score in 50 overs? The aussies make 300 consistently, on any kind of surface. They also save atleast 30 runs in the field, compared to the windies. The aussies would murder, absolutely demolish the windies.
You may be aware that in the 1980s there was no 30 yard circle and u could have 9 men on the boundary in ODIs
Oh skill level goes up with time ?? Then why hasn't ANY batsman come anywhere close to Bradman's average of 99 in all these years ' date=' if batting skill levels have gone up ?[/quote'] Umm.. dude..skill level goes up on both sides. Bowlers get better, batsmen get better. Stuff like this cannot be represented by stats.
Guest HariSampath
yeah have bowlers like Sami and Ronnie Irani bowling non stop from bother ends with fielders like Inzi ... yeah sure you will get your 99.94 avg wala batsman ...
You wanna start the Bradman debate again ? I thought that was closed, and the whole world knows it. Among batsmen, first there is Bradman , then space, time, and plenty of daylight, and then greats like Viv Richards, and somewhere down along of course Sachiin and others
Guest HariSampath
Umm.. dude..skill level goes up on both sides. Bowlers get better' date=' batsmen get better. Stuff like this cannot be represented by stats.[/quote'] True, stuff of the kind Bradman dished out cannot be represented by stats.... however the 99 average is just a mere hint of his total domination of the cricket world itself over 2 decades both sides of the war, a small indication for us to just imagine what it must have been like