Voluntary Retirement vs non-performance

dial_100

I wanted to find out if there is any relation between voluntary retirement of a player vs being dropped for non-performance. Here is the analysis of these 5 of the great ODI batsmen in the history. V Richards Steave Waugh Brian Lara Inzmam Ul-Hk Sachin RT S.C. Ganguly Here are their averages in last 50 ODIs they have played. Our own indian openers are on the verge of their retirements. IVA Richards ---- 50 1134 29 Brian C Lara ----- 50 1300 31 Inzmam Ul-huk - 50 1472 40 Steve Waugh - 50 1249 41 S. C. Ganguly --- 50 1659 36+ S Tendulkar ----- 50 1960 43+ I picked these players for obvious reason as they had played beyond 37 years of their age. With 18 years of cricket, SRT is still going Very strong with avg more than any of these batsman. And SG after returning to Indian team in 2007 has scored @ healthy 45. His avg of 36 reflects his poor avg of 17 in 2005. Despite poor avg, both Lara and Richards both kept on hanging to WI odi team. After getting some good alternatives like Gautam Gambhir, R Uthappa, I strongly believe that Ganguly should retire voluntarily by the end of this Pak series. He will be hailed by everyone if he takes this decision now. By playing Australia, he may not have a chance to retire on high. Avg of 45 in this year with 30 plus ODI is a good achievement in itself. Extend his Test cricket by may be another year. I want to see a big 100 from SG in one of the last 2 games. :pray: Point here is not that he deserves to be dropped so he should retire but rather, he is on high, should hang his boots. I would hate to see him humiliated again and to me he doesn't need to prove much to anyone after what he has achieved.

Oh damn not again! Not another of those "Save the old brigade, see what they have done..compare them to Richards" routine. For starters you really should take away Sachin and Viv since they are head and shoulders above the rest(in LOI). Secondly as a cricket fan you have to be asked if you ever watched Viv live? Or is your knowledge of him relegated only thanks to stats? Would you, for example, realize that probably for the bulk of his career Viv averaged over 50. This at a time when most batsmen's averaged in low 30s(check Srikkanth, Sunny, Amarnath, Patil, Kapil or any other gents for that matter). For a good while Viv touched 70 plus and was in 60s for a decent run. Compare this to Sachin who has never averaged 45 plus, though he plays in an era where lot more batsmen score at 40 plus. Lastly the amount of cricket that Sachin has played (140 tests and 405 LOI) in 18 years is much much more than what Viv played (121 tests and 187 LOI) in 17 years(hence lot more wear and tear etc etc) That all said Sachin is doing fine in LOI so he should continue, his test form is what bothers a lot of us. xxx

Huh???:omg_smile:... Lurk. I aint even talking of SRT retiring here. I am strictly talking of SG i.e. Saurav Ganguly. Is it so hard to keep your brain away from SRT subject for god sake. I want to focus on this ODI, Ganguly. a timing of retirement. intentions and personal aspirations.

But Lurk. trouble is he has not played a big innings. he should give us couple of big scores some charming innings as He is prolly our #2 ODI batsman after SRT. Period. He is no less. But trouble is lot of people on this forum dun like his style of batting. Anyway, if he doesn't retire I tell you, they will sit him out very soon. I want him to retire Grand unlike the other 4 I mentioned in OP. Especially after seeing what happened to RD, I wont be surprised the same thing happening to SG as well. Infact right after this series.

The reason why Ganguly will continue to play is rather simple. He provides one-half of a very stable partnership. In last 10 innings SCG/SRT average 56 runs per game. In other words Indian score, on an average, has read 56/0. Not bad eh? Add to that the fact that Ganguly's replacement - Sehwag - is hardly setting the stadium ablaze. I am personally not so taken in by Ganguly of late but I do see him staying in this Indian LOI line-up for now.