The Other Pathan's all round double

Mr. Wicket

MM, Don't get so excited. I have seen this guy bat and he is a pure slogger. He can hit cleanly and that is the only thing he knows in batting. And I can't imagine that he improved so much from last year's benign off-breaks bowler to become a menacing unplayable bowler this year. He did get Tiwary out cheaply, not once but twice in this match. But we have to observe for a ittle more time. He is okay for T20 team and that is where he should remain.

^ Chandan , does the name Shahid Afridi sound familiar ? He his in his 11 international season and i can imagine him perfectly fitting the description that you have given for Yusuf. Even in the lone 20/20 match i saw this guy play , he looked the part, even though he didnt do anything significant. I say he would be a tremendous addition to our limted overs team.

The day and age of grafters in the one-day game has come and gone. History says that the sides that have done always lots of utility players and power hitters in the lower order.Yusuf Pathan perfectly fits the bill. Considering the current composition of the Indian team and the age of its players who may for it in the coming years ( Yuvi - 25 , Dhoni - 26 , Rohit Sharma - 22, Gambhir - mid 20s , Uthappa - 22 , Karthik - 22), i think Yusuf Pathan fits the bill well. As i said before , he has all the qualities of an EXCELLENT one day player - Athletic fieldsman , hard-hitting batsman and decent spinner. With regs to Badrinath , Tiwary and Singh , I can probably give Manoj Tiwary a slight preference , but Badri will be hopelessly lost in our one-day team and Gagandeep's time has come and gone i think.
It wasnt so much about his style ... its just that 1 game ... no matter how good it was shouldnt automatically fast track someone into the national side ... this was what we did before Basically ... if we go by one-off displays of brilliance as a guide for national selection we get one-off displays of good form at international level. However, if we go with consistent run machines and consistent wicket takers year in year out at domestic level we get consistent run machines and wicket takers at international level. Proof of what happens when we ask people to grind out runs and wickets for years before getting their spot: * Jaques * Hussey * Clark * Pietersen Proof of what happens when we dont: * Afridi * Irfan Pathan * Parthiv Patel * Nathan Hauritz
It wasnt so much about his style ... its just that 1 game ... no matter how good it was shouldnt automatically fast track someone into the national side ... this was what we did before Basically ... if we go by one-off displays of brilliance as a guide for national selection we get one-off displays of good form at international level. However, if we go with consistent run machines and consistent wicket takers year in year out at domestic level we get consistent run machines and wicket takers at international level. Proof of what happens when we ask people to grind out runs and wickets for years before getting their spot: * Jaques * Hussey * Clark * Pietersen Proof of what happens when we dont: * Afridi * Irfan Pathan * Parthiv Patel * Nathan Hauritz
except that it does not work that way in india. grinding out runs and accumulating wickets in the domestic season hardly amounts for much if the player is older than the magical age of 24 years and 9 months. beyond that age, a herculian performance gets you a quick eye in (i.e. jp yadav) and at the first sign of less than satisfactory display you are cast aside into the bottomless pit of have nots (where the likes of gagan khoda, nikhil chopra, msk yada, s ramesh, ss das will give you company). only one player, and one player only since 2000 has made a comeback against the tide (i.e. age working against him) and he is wasim jaffer. if we must desire to groom our players on a tough domestic circuit, arrange for them to play in either the australian or english league. maybe form a team that plays in the pura cup which is made of all prospective indian players. long shot i know.