1990-present : Your top 20 batsmen (Tests)

Bongosamaj

Mine : 1. Sachin Tendulkar 2. Brian Lara 3. Steve Waugh 4. Rahul Dravid 5. Ricky Ponting 6. Andy Flower 7. Jacques Kallis 8. Adam Gillchrist 9. Martin Crowe 10. Graham Gooch 11.Inzamam 12. Kumara Sangakkara 13. Mahela Jayawardene 14. Justin Langer 15. Virender Sehwag 16. Kevin Pieterson 17. Aravinda deSilva 18. Shivnaraine Chanderpaul 19. Damien Martyn 20. Mohammed Yousuf

Younis Khan' date='Miandad & Saeed Anwar[/quote'] Miandad- doesnt qualify (best years were in the 80s, he was mediocre by the time 90s rolled around and didnt play much). Younis Khan- no, he is a flat-track-bully for most part and hasnt done enough against good bowling. Anwar- yes, very compelling and i wanted to make room for him- but there is only place for 20 and i don't see Saeed ahead of any of the 20 mentioned there.
Definitely think Laxman should be in the top 20. Just watch his innings of 281 not many batsmen have done something like that not even Tendulkar.
And exactly how many times has Laxman played that good, to receive a credit. Stop comparing player's best inn with someone else
Good effort but i think 20 is just too big of a #. Tier 1: SRT and Lara Tier 2: Ponting and Waugh. Tier 3 would probably have about 6 or 7 batsmen.
I think Ponting with 112 innings for an average of 59.7 stands far and away above Tendulkar and Lara at this point. He will become the greatest scorer of runs in Test cricket, albeit any major injuries, and he only seems to becoming better with age, whilst Tendulkar and Lara waned with age.
Not really. most of his runs and centuries have come after the great bowlers retired. Ponting, when there were bowlers like Ambrose,Walsh,Donald,Pollock,Wasim,Waqar and the old England attack around, managed to average 45-46 after 6 yrs of test cricket. he suddenly exploded into productivity when the greats retired. i don't find that a coincidence. Plus Ponting is an utter failure batting in India and if your batting average is like that of a tail-enders in a major test playing nation, your position is very much questionable. Not to mention, Ponting's always had a completely pressure-free career- he's never had to carry the batting on his own like Lara/Tendy did and neither did he have to worry about the opposition putting up more runs than his team, thanks to his awesome bowling unit at his disposal. Tendulkar and Lara have been successful against all opposition in all conditions. Ponting is damn good but not in that bracket. Ponting has a major hole in his resume and that is India plus playing spin competently in tracks that take spin. Until he fixes that, his stats are irrelevant. he could average 65 with 50 test centuries for all i care, but will still figure behind Lara, Tendulkar and a dozen others through the years at the very least.
Agree for a change. Said it before and gonna repeat it again, you can pinpoint exactly when the bowling quality waned by Ponting's stats. Now be ready to meet the GWB fans. I'm gone.