Guest HariSampath

Why Not Krish Srikkanth for Coach ?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Foreign coach better

Guest HariSampath
Does he want the job ?
He will take it if it comes by itself, but will not lobby for it one bit, whether with BCCI, former players, present players, media, sports journos....no nothing. If offered the position, he will happily take it up.
Guest HariSampath
@ Hari, did cheeka sir applied for the coach job in the recent application call???? of course, this is not like the traditional approach... it is professional alright...
No he did not apply. He is of the view that no one should aplly for the Indian coach's job and it must be offered to some senior former cricketer of India. Such a cricketer's capabily and earlier accomplishments in coaching/captaining/India A/ U-19 etc will be known to the whole world and where is the need for application, he says.
No he did not apply. He is of the view that no one should aplly for the Indian coach's job and it must be offered to some senior former cricketer of India.
I can see why people would have a problem with that. Patil, Madan Lal, Gaekwad, and worst of all, Kapil Dev were average to downright pathetic coaches (Gaekwad the only one being average). Foreigners like John Wright made a far bigger impact on Indian cricket by bringing in a different approach.

While I am impressed with the CA offer for Sreeks, I somehow have a brash impression of him due to his role as a commentator. The opinions he's put for in that role, somehow left me with a belief of him not being a stabilising influence but instead emulating his swashbuckling style of play into his coaching role. But it's also possible that he might have tailored himself to that role of the commentator and might be a better coach than I think. Anything's possible.

i can see a point on cheeka's favour there preds... see he was a great player, but would he have dared to teach batting lessons to our trio... the thing is he keeps the spirits up of the indian players and thats what you look for in a coach... PS: I was talking about a team coach rather than a personal one...

Guest HariSampath
i can see a point on cheeka's favour there preds... see he was a great player, but would he have dared to teach batting lessons to our trio... the thing is he keeps the spirits up of the indian players and thats what you look for in a coach... PS: I was talking about a team coach rather than a personal one...
Exactly.... at this level, Cheeka too says no one can give lessons on batting stance, defence, cover drive, outswinger etc. But the facts are he will have a FAR better rapport with Tendulkar, Ganguly, Kumble etc, because he has actually played ODI/tests with them !! Their comfort level too will be better as they have known him as a player since 1989.... in fact Tendulkar made debut under Cheeka, Ganguly and Kumble played their first ODI along with Cheeka. Sehwag, Harbhajan etc were all coming up in cricket when he coached them in India A...and others in U-19...just see the immense value of having such a coach. He will have full authority to criticise in private even the senior most cricketers and they will receive it well, because they had shared a field.. so will other players. He will be looked up to, he can demand high standards in fielding and no one can ask him " were you yourself doing it", because he was one of India's most brilliant fielders... there are so many other perfectly valid points.like rapport with Vengsarkar with whom he played for 11 years, selection issues will be no problem as Cheeka can have very honest discussions with Vengsarkar and vice versa too... see my OP How many foreign coaches have the above qualifications ?
No he did not apply. He is of the view that no one should aplly for the Indian coach's job and it must be offered to some senior former cricketer of India. Such a cricketer's capabily and earlier accomplishments in coaching/captaining/India A/ U-19 etc will be known to the whole world and where is the need for application' date=' he says.[/quote'] Hari, My personal opinion: if he is interested, he should apply. Nothing wrong in "highlighting" coaching skills. Everyone knows his batting skills, not all will know his coaching skills.
Guest HariSampath
Kris Sree is/was my all time favourite Indian batsman. However' date=' I dont hink he disciplined enough to be a coach. He was never big into physical fitness [b']nor a good fielder.We need a coach who can crack a whip and make our team more sharp in the field. Of course that is just my opinion. :two_thumbs_up:
Srikkanth not a good fielder ???? Have you seen the 1983 WC games on video at least ? He was consistently described as the "fastest mover in the competition" , even in the WC finals at Lord's, and that's no joke considering the kind of fielders who played world cricket in 1983. I am totally confused because this is the first time in my life I hear Srikkanth being described as "not a good fielder". Kapil Dev had once said " give me 11 Srikkanths on the field and I will beat any team any day" Next time Srikkanth checks this site, and sees his pic on your avatar and what you had to say about his fielding, I think he may board the next flight to Calif...to sort it out with you:D

haha... Chrish was a very good fielder.. he was quickest between the wkts despite being a small guy. He was a good catcher too. My complete vote for him...Him with Mohinder Amarnath were really good fighters in those days. For either of them and my 100% vote will be with them. Trouble is, IS BCCI LISTENING????

Kris Sree is/was my all time favourite Indian batsman. However' date=' I dont hink he disciplined enough to be a coach. He was never big into physical fitness nor a good fielder.We need a coach who can crack a whip and make our team more sharp in the field. Of course that is just my opinion. :two_thumbs_up:[/quote'] Cheeka was a fantastic fielder and a great athlete. Cheeka supported players during the pay hike rebellion phase and paid the heavy price. The irony is that the so called senior players (Kapil, Shastri, Gavaskar etc.) who cheeka supported and stood for them during the pay hike issue got away without any price but cheeka was the ONLY ONE who was punished by the board Srikant was offered captaincy for LONG period if he supports the board. But the great man ignored it. Hats off to cheeka......He is one of the smartest cricket brain around the country

It is truly disappointing that BCCI has to seek another foreign coach. I was hoping that they would realize from our performances under Indian "Managers" that we dont need western ideas to do well. Viz. Krish as coach, i think his handling of the U-19 team and INdia A by itself is good enough to make us realize that he would do well as a coach. But i guess its a mere wish from our side. The board has to take notice

Kris Sree is/was my all time favourite Indian batsman. However' date=' I dont hink he disciplined enough to be a coach. He was never big into physical fitness [b']nor a good fielder.We need a coach who can crack a whip and make our team more sharp in the field. Of course that is just my opinion. :two_thumbs_up:
I agree. Krish was not a good fielder, he was a great fielder! Not only was he fearless and a very fast mover, what personally appealed to me was he was always bubbling with ethusiasm. Anytime a wicket would fall you could see him to be the first to run to the bowler. It would have been fun to hear him talk in broken Hindi with his typical accent to Kapil, Amarnath etc. xx
Srikkanth not a good fielder ???? Have you seen the 1983 WC games on video at least ? He was consistently described as the "fastest mover in the competition" , even in the WC finals at Lord's, and that's no joke considering the kind of fielders who played world cricket in 1983. I am totally confused because this is the first time in my life I hear Srikkanth being described as "not a good fielder". Kapil Dev had once said " give me 11 Srikkanths on the field and I will beat any team any day" Next time Srikkanth checks this site, and sees his pic on your avatar and what you had to say about his fielding, I think he may board the next flight to Calif...to sort it out with you:D
Ok , I guess I deserve it. I was trying to express my opinion that he is not big into physical fitness and is too laid back to be a coach. Let me put it this way, I campare him with John McEnroe in tennis. McEnroe was brilliant at the net and he is touch artist. He was never into body building or trained like a robot. He is so anti Lendl or Federer. That is why I loved him to death. Same applies to Srikanth. He is mercurial and spontaneous. I dont think those qualities are something BCCI want as a coach. I hope I made myself clear now.