Akmal, The Crisis Man

Dhondy

The ship is sinking, seafarers are deserting the ship....who would you want on the deck, dousing the flames? How about the man we saw in action today? Take a look at what he has achieved so far for Pakistan in situations where others have balked. What is particularly noteworthy is not just the runs he has scored, but the manner in which he has dominated partnerships, often with established batsmen at the other end. March 2005, Mohali. India take a 204 run lead over the visitors. Pakistan are floundering at 243 for 6, leading by a mere 39, when Akmal walks in. He proceeds to add 184 with Abdul Razzaq, contributing 109 of those runs. Pakistan escape with a draw, a result that proves crucial when they square the series at Bangalore. Series result 1-1. November 2005, Lahore. Akmal comes in to bat at 247 for 5, and adds a massive 269 with double centurion Yousuf, amassing 154 of those runs. Pakistan go on to trounce England by an innings. Series result 2-0. Two months later, Akmal is back at Lahore battling the old foe, admittedly though in much more comfortable circumstances. Coming in to bat at 477 for 5, he takes Pakistan to a mammoth 647 with Afridi. This time he is outscored by the swashbuckling all-rounder, who makes 103. Kamran reamains not out with 101. Result, draw. In the series decider at Karachi next month, he pulls off the most amazing coup ever, rescuing Pakistan from 39 for 6 with an audacious 113, piling up 115 with Razzaq, whose contribution is 45, and 82 with Shoaib Akhtar, who makes 45. India are beaten by over 300 runs. Series result 1-0. January 2007. Port Elizabeth, South Africa. It's the second Test of the series, and Pakistan are chasing 191 for victory, but slump to 92 for 5. No problem. Kamran racks up a 99 run unbeaten partnership with Younis Khan, contributing 57 in the process. Victory to Pakistan. Series result 1-2. And finally, today, 2 December 2007. Just as the Pakistani fans are clamouring for Akmal to be dropped for his shoddy glovework, he takes Pakistan from a perilous 150 for 5, replying to India's massive 616 for 5 declared, to the relative safety of 357 for 6. A 207 run partnership with co-centurion Misbah-ul-Haq. Kamran's share? 119. Fill in the result at your convenience. He has been dismissed 58 times in his career, of which seamers have got him out on 34 occasions, and spinners on 24. However, it is the South African left arm spinner Paul Harris, who holds the distinction of dismissing him on 6 occasions. Ray Price, the Zimbabwean practitioner of SLA spin has got him twice, while Ashley Giles and Sri Lankan spinner Herath have also dismissed him on one occasion each. Bhajji has done it on 4 occasions, Kumble on 3. There's a lesson somewhere there for India. Given the manner in which Akmal has tormented them, often changing series results with his decisive innings, they could do worse than bringing in Murali Kartik at Bangalore to exploit his weakness against left arm spin, particularly as their fast bowling options, which is Akmal's other Achilles heel, is bare to the bone, with the indisposition of Sreesanth and RP Singh.

At this point, all the previous innings weren't really in my mind. Sarfraz Ahmad was all set to step in at Bangalore. Akmal's career hung (and may still hang) in the balance. Watching his reaction after reaching 100 was quite revealing. It was like the gorrilla finally decided to get off his back. You could see he was feeling the pressure. Maybe that's what was missing during the recent slump.

Is he really the crisis man that he is being credited to be? It is always convinient and terribly easy to count to proverbial "hits" while ignoring the "misses". He has scored well at strategic moments (note i refer to it as strategic rather than crisis) and has managed to win over the naysayers just in the knick of time to avoid the axe from the selectors. and in the meanwhile his keeping behind the stumps, the job he is required to fulfill primarily, has been agonizing at best. We are giving him credit for his hundred odd runs on a pitch with few (but there nonetheless) demons and an attack comprising of (for all practical purposes) two spinners. Heck, lets flip the argument, had he latched onto that chance from tendulkar, and the resultant effect not withstanding, thats a 170 run partnership significantly reduced! As i stated in another thread, we might just have given mediocracy a lifeline but extending kamran's run in the test team for atleast another test for none would dare to drop the few batsmen who actually performed if this match does play out into a terrible loss for pakistan...

dhondy' date=' i think he played a big part in drawing the second test vs SA in the recent series too. I think he scored the most runs out of any of their players[/quote'] I am fed up of this guy retaining his spot at our expense :whatchutalkingabout anyways still a long ways to go in this match ... chances are he might have to do it twice in a row to keep his team in the hunt

Akmal is a flat track, easy conditions bully, Dhondy. How many times have we seen this ? To his credit, he does respond well under pressure, but his batting has got more to do with conditions than anything else. Look at his career stats & see for yourself:

[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]in Australia           3    6   0    77  47   24    4   12.83   0   0   2
in England             4    6   0   101  58   20   15   16.83   0   1   1
in India               4    7   0   210 109   30   28   30.00   1   0   1
in Pakistan           14   22   3   920 154  113  102*  48.42   3   4   1
in South Africa        5   10   1   185  57*  33   29   20.55   0   1   2
in Sri Lanka           2    3   0    84  33   27   24   28.00   0   0   0
in West Indies         2    4   0    75  49   21    4   18.75   0   0   0
in Zimbabwe            2    3   0    94  56   38    0   31.33   0   1   1
[/FONT]
The stats clearly show that the man CANNOT bat anywhere but on the national highways of Pakistan. As poor as they were yesterday, many of the Pakistani batsmen got out to poor shots. I dont reckon it was particularly difficult to bat if you applied yourselves. Pit him in slightly more difficult conditions & watch Akmal fail every time. Dhoni who is often put down as an FTB, has far better stats than duckmal.
[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]in Bangladesh          2    3   2   104  51*  36   17* 104.00   0   1   0
in England             3    5   1   209  92   76*  36   52.25   0   2   1
in India               7   11   1   312  64   57   51*  31.20   0   3   0
in Pakistan            3    3   0   179 148   18   13   59.66   1   0   0
in South Africa        2    4   0   104  47   34   18   26.00   0   0   0
[/FONT][FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]in West Indies         4    7   0   168  69   29   20   24.00   0   1   0[/FONT]

Bumps, there's stats and then there's stuff beyond stats. Who cares if Akmal is rubbish beyond the subcontinent? In the marquee series that matters, he is Pakistan's Sehwag and Kumble rolled into one. Do you realize that this is probably the 3rd series victory he has probably cost us? When one man makes such a huge difference, you cannot but sit up and take note. He has been absolutely immense, a mill-stone around India's neck. I fully share Dal's frustrations, but am also full of admiration for the man's capacity to rise to the occasion when it really matters. I knew that at some point in the series, he would reward his selectors' faith in him by hurting us big time, and he has proven me right. MVP for Pakistan against India, second to none.

Its an ability to play well under pressure which Sachin is not capable of.
Sachin is the King of pressure knocks, Akmal isnt fit to be a student of Sachin's students toilet cleaner when it comes to pressure knocks All through the nineties Sachin saved India over and over again, all over the world Sachin was a lone ranger for India and that is why he is like a God to Indian cricket fans Dont come here with this **** against the greatest player ever in the history of cricket
A Dhoni who is often put down as an FTB, has far better stats than duckmal.
[FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]in Bangladesh          2    3   2   104  51*  36   17* 104.00   0   1   0
in England             3    5   1   209  92   76*  36   52.25   0   2   1
in India               7   11   1   312  64   57   51*  31.20   0   3   0
in Pakistan            3    3   0   179 148   18   13   59.66   1   0   0
in South Africa        2    4   0   104  47   34   18   26.00   0   0   0
[/FONT][FONT=MONOSPACE,COURIER NEW,COURIER]in West Indies         4    7   0   168  69   29   20   24.00   0   1   0[/FONT]

I can't wait to see how Dhoni will perform in Australia, its going to be fun to watch how he copes with the bounce given his style of play ...
Do you realize that this is probably the 3rd series victory he has probably cost us? When one man makes such a huge difference, you cannot but sit up and take note.
That sums it up. His innings at Mohali and Karachi robbed us of what would have been 2 of our most important series victories in cricket history. I just hope this wont be the third.
Bumps, there's stats and then there's stuff beyond stats. Who cares if Akmal is rubbish beyond the subcontinent? In the marquee series that matters, he is Pakistan's Sehwag and Kumble rolled into one. Do you realize that this is probably the 3rd series victory he has probably cost us? When one man makes such a huge difference, you cannot but sit up and take note. He has been absolutely immense, a mill-stone around India's neck. I fully share Dal's frustrations, but am also full of admiration for the man's capacity to rise to the occasion when it really matters. I knew that at some point in the series, he would reward his selectors' faith in him by hurting us big time, and he has proven me right. MVP for Pakistan against India, second to none.
He does play well against us, like Afridi does. I'll agree. But i wont rate him as a test bat with these stats. India has a habit of making superstars out of journeymen. Akmal is the latest addition to that portfolio. It is frustrating when the series is ours for the taking and someone comes out & plays like that. But any team worth its salt, is gonna show some fight. So far we've owned Pakistan in all aspects (batting, bowling & fielding) of this test series. Its about time, one of their blokes shows some fight. It will be an interesting first session tomorrow. If Pak saves the follow on, they will go on to draw the test. But the match is by no means decided, as it stands.