Defence News and Updates

Cricket_Hacker

CAG picks holes in LCA project, says it fails to meet IAF requirements http://m.economictimes.com/news/defence/cag-picks-holes-in-lca-project-says-it-fails-to-meet-iaf-requirements/articleshow/47204118.cms NEW DELHI: India's Tejas Light Combat Aircraft project, in the works for over three decades, came under severe criticism from CAG today as it pointed out that its Mark-I version has 53 "significant shortfalls" which have reduced its operational capabilities as well as survivability. Not only that, IAF would be "constrained" to induct the fighter LCA without availability of a trainer model, thereby "adversely impacting pilot training", the audit body said in a report tabled in Parliament. The CAG noted that it was due to the delay in the manufacture and supply of LCA that IAF had to go for alternative temporary measures such as upgrading its MIG BIS, MiG-29, Jaguar, and Mirage aircraft at a cost of Rs 20,037 crore and revise the phasing out of MiG-21s. "LCA Mark-I, which achieved Initial Operational Clearance (December, 2013) has significant shortfalls (53 permanent waivers/concessions" in meeting ASR (Air Staff Requirements) as a result of which it will have reduced operational capabilities and reduced survivability, thereby limiting its operational employability when inducted into IAF squadrons," the report said. Listing the shortcomings, the CAG said that the LCA Mark- I fails to meet the electronic warfare capabilities sought by IAF as the Self-Protection Jammer could not be fitted on the aircraft due to space constraints. Also, it said that the Radar Warning Receiver/Counter Measure Dispensing System fitted on the aircraft had raised performance concerns which are yet to be overcome till January this year. It added that the shortcomings in the Mark-I (increased weight, reduced internal fuel capacity, non-compliance of fuel system protection, pilot protection from front, reduced speed) are expected to be overcome in the Mark-II model. "LCA Mark-I does not meet the ASR. The deficiencies are now expected to be met in LCA Mark-II by December 2018," the CAG said. While DRDO has always showcased LCA, christened Tejas, as an indigenously-developed aircraft and the indigenous content of the LCA was estimated by ADA to be 70 per cent, the CAG said it "actually worked out to about 35 per cent" as of January this year. Systems such as Kaveri engine, Multi-Mode Radar, Radome, Multi-Functional Display System and Flight Control System Actuators taken up for indigenous development could not be developed successfully, resulting in LCA's continued dependence on the import of these systems, CAG said. IAF had proposed in the early 1980s that a new aircraft be developed to replace the MiG-21 fleet, manufactured during 1966 and 1987, after its phasing out in the 1990s. The project for indigenous design and development of LCA was sanctioned in 1983 at a cost of Rs 560 crore, which was enhanced from time to time up to Rs 10,397.11 crore. The government in June, 1984, constituted an Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) as a dedicated institution for the management of the LCA project. IAF had issued Air Staff Requirement (ASR) in October, 1985, envisaging a light-weight multi-mission fighter with contemporary air combat and offensive air support capabilities and excellent manoeuvrability for close air combat at low and medium altitudes. The projected requirement was for 220 Light Combat Aircraft (200 Fighters, 20 trainers) to be inducted by 1994. However, LCA could only achieve Initial Operational Clearance in December, 2013, as against the earlier scheduled date of December, 2005. The Full Operational Clearance (FOC), which was scheduled to be completed by December, 2008, is now slated to be achieved by December this year although experts said even that could be delayed. The CAG said that ADA's decision to advance the building of two prototypes from Full-Scale Engineering Development (FSED) Phase-II to FSED Phase-I so as to utilise its savings on the grounds of accelerating the development process of LCA had failed to yield the desired results. This, the report said, was because preponed prototypes were deficien

Indian navy is doing good comparatively to army and airforce:two_thumbs_up: Lot of indigenously built warships inducted into navy last few years. Our surface fleet is quiet strong .although our submarine fleet is old and obsolete

India Rafale Deal Part of Needed Air Force Modernization Last month, India*announced plans to purchase 36 Rafale fighter jets*from France, though a final deal has yet to be signed. In an email interview,*Iskander Rehman, a nonresident fellow in the South Asia Program at the Atlantic Council, discussed India’s air force. http://www.worldpoliticsreview.com/trend-lines/15751/india-rafale-deal-part-of-needed-air-force-modernization#.VVJKILuC_KU.twitter

Pakistan Army Introduce LY-80 and IBIS-150 LOCAL201312211529487641426944704.jpgHQ-16ABC+LY80+Surface-to-Air+Missile+sky+dragon+ly+80+China+North+Industries+Corporation+%2528NORINCO%2529%252C+Pakistan+People%25E2%2580%2599s+Liberation+Army+%2528PLA%2529+sam+plaaf+pla+china+export+type+054abc+%252813%2529.jpgHQ-16ABC+LY80+Surface-to-Air+Missile+sky+dragon+ly+80+China+North+Industries+Corporation+%2528NORINCO%2529%252C++People%25E2%2580%2599s+Liberation+Army+%2528PLA%2529+sam+plaaf+pla+china+export+type+054abc+++%252813%2529.jpg

First Three batteries of the China Aerospace Long-March International LY-80 surface-to-air missile system have been purchased for nearly US $226 million, with eight units of the IBIS-150 air defense surveillance radar for $40 million.

Pakistan cuts steel on third Azmat-class missile patrol craft 1453963_-_main.jpg

State-owned shipbuilder Karachi Shipyard & Engineering Works Limited (KSEW) held a steel-cutting ceremony for the Pakistan Navy's third Azmat-class missile patrol craft on 16 April. In a statement marking the occasion, KSEW said that the vessel - which derives its design from the People's Liberation Army Navy's (PLAN's) Houjian-class fast attack craft - is being built in collaboration with China. The statement did not provide details on which Chinese company KSEW is collaborating with. First-of-class PNS Azmat (1013) was built by China Shipbuilding & Offshore Company's Xingang Shipyard in Tianjin. Second ship, PNS Deshat (1014), was built in Karachi under a technology transfer agreement with the same company.
http://www.janes.com/article/50777/pakistan-cuts-steel-on-third-azmat-class-missile-patrol-craft

US arms Pakistan with 14 combat aircrafts, 59 trainer jets, 374 armoured carriers PAF-F16s-RedFlag.jpg1634450_-_main.jpgmirages_refuel.jpgF-16.jpg

This include F-16 armaments including 500 AMRAAM air-to-air missiles; 1,450 2,000-pound bombs; 500 JDAM Tail Kits for gravity bombs; and 1,600 Enhanced Paveway laser-guided kits. All this has cost Pakistan $ 629 million. Pakistan has also paid $ 298 million for 100 harpoon anti-ship missiles, 500 sidewinder air-to-air missiles ($ 95 million); and seven Phalanx Close-In Weapons System naval guns ($ 80 million).
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/defence/us-arms-pakistan-with-14-combat-aircrafts-59-trainer-jets-374-armoured-carriers/articleshow/47173133.cms

hmm i am not too sure about cutting edge of the Jf-17 I dont blame pakistan for buying it. Sanctions on the F16 crippled their air force. However the Jk-17 needs to be inducted in much larger numbers than what pakistan are inducting. Its a numbers game strategy with the Jf-17, it is cheap to maintain and cheap to buy of the shelf/manufacture. But you probably need about 400-500 to maintain a technological balance if they are indeed going to replace the F16s. Its same with the LCA. What the Indian air force needs is a dirt cheap and easy to maintain core workhorse which can be deployed in numbers and maintained. Then have the Su-30mki and rafale etc for that technological edge. Unfortunately the LCA has been delayed so badly that India has been forced to convert the much more expensive Su-30MKI as its mainstay with Rafale providing the edge. Its an expensive business.

Well bro ,Cutting Edge or not, we are hoping to induct about 400-500 JF-17s. JF-17 Block 2, is more or less like 4th Gen Fighter, Its not easy to Replace F-16s, but JF-17 Block 3, will be the different beast, with New more powerful Engine, AESA, Dual Seat , with speed up to 2.0 Mach+ & with more weapons etc. It will be Like 4.5 Gen Fighter.

Well bro ,Cutting Edge or not, we are hoping to induct about 400-500 JF-17s. JF-17 Block 2, is more or less like 4th Gen Fighter, Its not easy to Replace F-16s, but JF-17 Block 3, will be the different beast, with New more powerful Engine, AESA, Dual Seat , with speed up to 2.0 Mach+ & with more weapons etc. It will be Like 4.5 Gen Fighter.
I thought it was 110?

I thought it was 110?
Currently we can produce 25 Units per year, almost 60 Units in Service, we will receive 110 from China , and other 80-90 Units will be Produced at Home. it will be 250+ Units from Block 2. and if I am not wrong the other 200+ Units will be from Block 3. So it will be 400-500 Total Units of JF-17s.

Currently we can produce 25 Units per year, almost 60 Units in Service, we will receive 110 from China , and other 80-90 Units will be Produced at Home. it will be 250+ Units from Block 2. and if I am not wrong the other 200+ Units will be from Block 3. So it will be 400-500 Total Units of JF-17s.
I see fair enough. Its about creating an eco system for these jets.