Mythbusters

Bumper

We have already opened with Dravid and we know the results. He doesn't want to open. But I am sure for the team he will do it. We should drop Dhoni and make Dravid wk. this way we will accomodate everything. Its simple, Yuvraj has to wait, as kumble said he will soon be leading this batting line up, but right now he has to wait.

We have already opened with Dravid and we know the results. He doesn't want to open. But I am sure for the team he will do it. We should drop Dhoni and make Dravid wk. this way we will accomodate everything. Its simple, Yuvraj has to wait, as kumble said he will soon be leading this batting line up, but right now he has to wait.
It will be foolish to make Yuvraj wait any longer.

its good situation to be in. It means you have another class MO waiting and ready. So if one of your MO batsman has niggles, he will not be forced to play. Just like how Sachin skipped this game. If we did not have Yuvi, I am sure he would have inclined to play this game. Its great situation to be in.

Guest HariSampath

If I have to make a choice, I would rather have Dravid at 3 and have Laxman open. He is very good, has opened in 15 tests for India, has been complaining past few years he never gets enough batting opportunities higher up etc. VVS should be asked to open and we must convert this problem into an opportunity. Then we will have a solution for the next 3 series. Laxman averages near 29 when opening , and thats very decent ,he has done the job in 15 tests and even scored a hundred and some 50s. He has opened overseas, particularly in Aus.

Why not Ganguly open instead of Dravid. He is terrific form and opens in ODI . So ' date=' he is the best candidate to open in the first test against Australia. If he fails, then move him in middle order and then try Dravid.[/quote']Good idea as well, and I'm sure SCG wouldn't mind trying that either.
Guest HariSampath

No, Sourav and Dravid are reluctant openers and will never apply for the job, whereas, Laxman is someone who will want the job if it is open and he has done pretty decently as an opener in Australia, evn that 167 was as an opener when everyone crumbled and most importantly Aussies have a healthy respect for VVS, and by sending him first up, we will be making a statement

As far as I am concerned ... to drop any of the middle order would be foolish because 3 of our main 4 are in good form, and anyone who seriously thinks we should drop Dravid now has lost it. Yuvraj payed a gem of an innings and deserves a spot in the side, especially since Karthik, and Gambhir didnt capitalise. The way I see it , the logic about Kumble opening doesnt make sense because opening the bowling and batting are 2 completely different things. If an opening batsman falls, the first drop is in the next ball, whereas if an opening bowler has a bad ball, they dont immediately give the ball to the first change bowler. Usually they give him a 4 or 5 over spell anyway. The way I see it ... if you look at the jobs that an opening batsman must do : * Solid technique * Excellent temperament * The ability to make big scores Dravid has all of those things. Laxman is a possible candidate too, but Dravid is technically a better batsman.