So Ishant for Aussie tour or no?

Cricketics

So Ishant for Aussie tour or no?  

1. 1.

I reaped rewards for sticking to line and length: Ishant PTI BANGALORE, December 11: Beaming after completing his maiden five-wicket haul in the third Test against Pakistan, rookie pacer Ishant Sharma attributed his success to the tried and tested formula of sticking to line and length. Ishant admitted the placid M Chinnaswamy track hardly had anything for the bowlers and said the placid nature of the pitch prompted him to concentrate on line and length instead. "I just tried bowling line and length, because it was very difficult to get batsman out on these kinds of flat tracks," the lanky Delhi pacer told reporters after the day's play. Playing only his second Test, Ishant, however, refused to crib about the track and said an international cricketer should be prepared to excel on every kind of wicket. "In international cricket you get all kinds of wickets and you have to bowl on whatever kind of tracks you get," he said. The youngster also thanked his senior teammates for keeping him keyed up. "Seniors in the team helped me a lot and were telling me where to bowl and I got a lot of encouragement from then," said the pacer, who finished with five for 118. Ishant's performance came a day before the selectors meet here to pick the 16-member squad for Australia. The youngster, however, denied that staking claim for a berth was an added motivation for him. "No, that was not the case. I was just concentrating on my game," he said. Asked if he had spoken to his parents after the showing, Ishant said, "I haven't. But I require their blessings all the time." http://cricket.indiatimes.com/I_reaped_rewards_for_sticking_to_line_and_length/articleshow/2615257.cms

India's Sharma could be handy in Australia: Lawson REUTERS BANGALORE, December 11: Indian paceman Ishant Sharma could be an asset in the Test series in Australia, Pakistan coach and former Australian fast bowler Geoff Lawson said on Tuesday after the teenager took his maiden five-wicket haul. "It's nice to see a bowler hit the deck hard and he could be handy in Australia," Lawson told a news conference. "He has pace and bounce," he added of the 19-year-old, who took four wickets in a 6.1-over burst on the penultimate day of the final Test for figures of five for 118. India, who lead the three-match series 1-0, have an overall advantage of 220 runs after ending the day on 131 for two in their second innings. Sharma impressed with his lively pace after getting the opportunity to play his second Test following injuries to senior bowlers. India will name their Test squad for the Australia tour, which starts later this month, on Wednesday. "Everyone helped me, the new-ball partner and the bowling coach and when you bowl well then it's a great satisfaction," Sharma told a news conference. "It is not an easy track to bowl on. After some time I changed my line and tried as hard as possible." "I was hit for a few boundaries but I never get discouraged so you have to keep a big heart to bowl at this level. You need patience on such sort of pitches, which I kept," he said. "It surprises me that he hasn't played much. He has been outstanding in this series. He got 80-odd at Delhi before getting run out, then he could have ended not out in the second innings, before producing a brilliant knock in Kolkata." "It needs an unplayable ball to get him out. He concentrates hard and is a solid number five. He has shown that he is a world-class player," Lawson said. The Australian admitted that in absence of Mohammad Asif and with Shoaib Akhtar struggling for full fitness, Pakistan arrived here with a depleted attack. "We came here after South Africa series and had to leave Mohammad Asif back home because of injury. We haven't played to our best as well. But you have to take the bad with the good. Had Shoaib (Akhtar) bowled around 25 overs in the first innings India would not have got to 600." To a question whether Pakistan batted slowly, Lawson said, "We had a target of avoiding the follow-on and we did that first. We lost a couple of wickets with Younis and Yousuf getting out in succession and lost a bit of momentum. Akmal then helped Misbah and the two played like they did in Kolkata." Lawson, meanwhile, took the occasion to suggest that Indo-Pak series should feature five Test matches, instead of three. "I think it needs to be a five-Test series. It's little unsatisfactory to have three Tests because it is tough to come back after losing the first. India and Pakistan are always great contests and it deserves to be a five-match series." http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Sharma_could_be_handy_in_Oz_Lawson/articleshow/2615248.cms

Shoaib an inspiration, says Ishant OUR CORRESPONDENT

Bangalore: Ishant Sharma was over the moon on Tuesday after completing his maiden five-wicket haul in only his second Test. The lanky Delhi pacer, however, said he drew his inspiration from Pakistan spearhead Shoaib Akhtar. Ishant polished off the Pakistan tail during a fiery spell with the new ball in the post-lunch session, returning figures of 33.1-10-118-5. “Shoaib is a fast bowler and seeing him bowl with such pace has given me motivation,” Ishant told reporters after the fourth day’s play at the Chinnaswamy. The following are excerpts from the press conference: Q What was the formula behind your success? AIt was a flat track at the Chinnaswamy, not easy to bowl on, and it was very difficult to get the batsmen out. So I just decided to change my line and length with the third new ball and it paid off… But in international cricket you should be prepared to get all kinds of wickets and you have to bowl on whatever kind of tracks you get. Were you motivated by the fact that the selectors would be picking the squad for Australia on Wednesday? No, that was not the case. I was simply concentrating on my game and wanted to do something for my team in this match. If I keep on performing, chances will come my way. Do you feel you were unlucky not to have got a wicket with the second new ball despite bowling quite well? It happens. Sometimes you will be hit for a few boundaries… this is part of the game. You have to keep a big heart to keep on bowling. Personally speaking, I never get discouraged by such situations. You need patience on these sorts of pitches. I kept my patience and it paid off. How did the team help you? Everyone backed me. The captain, Irfan Pathan, other seniors and the bowling coach (Venkatesh Prasad). It’s very satisfying when you bowl well. Did Shoaib Akhtar inspire you? To some extent, yes. He is a fast bowler and seeing him bowl with such pace has given me enough motivation. Did you get any message from your parents after the day’s play? No, but I’m waiting for it. I always require their blessings.

http://www.telegraphindia.com/1071212/asp/sports/story_8658417.asp