Chess updates

Gollum

Album 61 - An intimate award-winning documentary The year was 2010. Boris Gelfand had ascended the massive world championship ladder to earn the right to battle Vishy Anand for the title. His entire life had been dedicated to making this moment possible. A camera crew followed him throughout the match, filming the drama involving not only him and his team, but all those who helped him prepare the way. A fascinating documentary. http://en.chessbase.com/post/album-61-an-intimate-award-winning-documentary

An hour-long lecture by Vishy Anand Earlier this year Vishy Anand gave a lecture at the Indian Institute of Technology Madras in his native city now known as Chennai. The video has just been published on YouTube, allowing us to watch as the multiple World Champion is greeted by rapturous applause and goes on to describe his career, all the way from his sudden rise from nowhere to Indian no. 4 as a 13-year-old to his most recent successes. Highlights include assessments of Anatoly Karpov and Magnus Carlsen. https://chess24.com/en/read/news/an-hour-long-lecture-by-vishy-anand

Magnus Carlsen proposes changes in WCh

In advance of travelling to the US to prepare for the Sinquefield Cup, I felt it important to share with you something I have been thinking about a great deal: the World Championship cycle format. I want to preface what I’m about to say with the notion that I have great respect and reverence for all the World Champions that have come before me, and for those that have contributed to the professionalization of chess. The Chennai match against V. Anand and our subsequent match in Sochi were both equally powerful and wonderful experiences. I was amazed by the intensity of the match format, as well as the massive interest from both the media and the public. I know people are working diligently to organize the 2014-2016 World Championship cycle, and I very much look forward to the match in November 2016 against the winner of the spring 2016 Candidates tournament. Despite this, I have, for a long time believed - and voiced publicly - that there should be a new World Championship cycle system, which is both balanced and fair. Those of you who have followed top level chess closely for years will remember that I openly raised the issue of the privileges held by the World Champion on several occasions, prior to qualifying for the match in 2013. In short, I strongly believe the chess world should evolve to a more just system. What does that look like? I have long thought that moving to an annual knock-out event, similar to the World Cup, would be more equitable. This change would in effect improve the odds of becoming World Champion for nearly every chess player, with the exception of the reigning World Champion, and potentially a few other top players who would no longer be favoured by the current format. Creating regional qualifying events combined with rating spots, the participation of all the top players in the world and the undisputed World Championship title at stake, I truly believe this would make the World Championship cycle more accessible to everyone. In conclusion, I strongly recommend FIDE look into modernizing the World Championship cycle format. What are your thoughts? Do you agree that the Chess World Championship cycle would benefit from a new system?
https://www.facebook.com/magnuschess?fref=ts

FIDE Announces Women's Grand Prix Series 2015-2016: Four Stages from Monte Carlo to China

FIDE has announced the 2015-16 women's Grand Prix series, the results of which will determine one participant in the 2017 world championship match. Dates and venues for the four stages: 2-16 October 2015 - Monte Carlo, Monaco February 2016 - Kish, Iran May 2016 - Tbilisi, Georgia July 2016 - Chengdu, China 16 players will take part, ten by qualifying, four nominated by the organisers and two chosen by the FIDE President. Here are the ten who already have the right to play in the series, from whom FIDE is awaiting signed contracts: Mariya Muzychuk (world champion 2015 in Sochi) Natalya Pogonina (runner-up in 2016 world championship) Pia Cramling (semifinalist in world championship) Harika Dronavalli (semifinalist in world championship) Hou Yifan (here and below, on average rating Aug 2014 - July 2015) Humpy Koneru Nana Dzagnidze Xu Wenjun Anna Muzychuk Valentina Gunina First reserve - Alexandra Kosteniuk (also on average rating) .
http://chess-news.ru/en/node/19756