"Kirsten a puppet" - Tony Grieg

FORMER great Tony Greig has slammed Gary Kirsten's appointment as Indian coach, saying he will be little more than a puppet whose strings will be pulled by senior players such as Sourav Ganguly. Greig insists Indian officials turned to South African Kirsten only because they wanted a figurehead coach who would not rock the boat. The former England captain said India wanted to avoid the hardline management style of former coach Greg Chappell, who quit in April. "It (Kirsten's appointment) came as a bit of a surprise to me," Greig said yesterday. "It probably has something to do with employing someone who is likely to let the senior players have their way and definitely not someone who will impose himself on the team the way Greg Chappell did. "Why India didn't go for someone like Tom Moody or John Buchanan is a mystery to me." Kirsten, a former batsman who played 101 Tests, has been embroiled in controversy since he signed the two-year deal this month. Officials are unhappy Kirsten will only be in Australia for the third and fourth Tests. His coaching credentials have also been questioned. Kirsten, 40, has little formal coaching experience. Greig said Kirsten is a man of great character and integrity, but worries whether he is up to the task. "This is a job that is so difficult and so political that the Indians are reluctant to appoint an Indian," Greig said. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22909851-2882,00.html I agree !