The Sehwag threads [Merged]

Guest HariSampath

The Sehwag threads [Merged]  

1. 1.

• Much better
    • Not better
    • unclear

40000 ICF $ I am willing to bet. There is no way in hell Sehwag is going to come good. He is done and dusted. Brett Lee is much improved and he is going to eat Sehwag alive.
Look at the players that have been dropped and then made comebacks in the last couple of years. They've all performed in some form of the game or other. 1. Wasim Jaffer 2. Zaheer Khan 3. Irfan Pathan 4. Sourav Ganguly Maybe we should be ruthless in dropping non-performing players, no matter who they are, (I for one didn't mind Dravid being dropped for ODIs vs Pakistan). Seems to have done the trick in a few cases. Sehwag's been dropped now he can take a leaf out of the other players' books that are listed here and come back strongly.

Can someone please help with this Sehwag question? The last 6-7 months - can someone list Sehwag's score and team he played against (with mode of dismissal eg. c. X b. Y) in domestics/intl (4 day or 3 day matches only) I'd really appreciate this info. NO ODIs or 2020s please. Thanks a lot.

It's irrelevant. Class players with proven performances cannot be judged on the same yardsticks as journeymen like Gambhir.
So are you saying that all 'openers' in the probable 24 and outside apart from Sehwag are journeyman? That is a really sad attitude to take for all openers in India. Motu has not performed (& given lots of chances) yet he makes while people who have done really well are ignored. What logic! I thought Vengi was better than Moron More but not.
So are you saying that all 'openers' in the probable 24 and outside apart from Sehwag are journeyman? That is a really sad attitude to take for all openers in India. Motu has not performed (& given lots of chances) yet he makes while people who have done really well are ignored. What logic! I thought Vengi was better than Moron More but not.
Yes they are all journeymen Gambhir, Chopra, Karthik, Parthiv, the whole lot. Their best performances are worse or at best equal to Sehwag's record over his last 10 tests or so.
It's irrelevant. Class players with proven performances cannot be judged on the same yardsticks as journeymen like Gambhir.
Certain players vary their game by opposition. There are some like Gambhir who will feed upon a Saurashtra or Tamil Nadu attack, thrash Kenya and England A at A-level cricket, then flay Zimbabwe and Bangladesh. And who will then get eaten alive by Mohammed Sami at test level. There are a few like Sehwag who have a terrible record in some domestic forms, or against lesser teams like Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, but raise their game exponentially when they are needed to. Pressure situations in the WC (Sehwag was the one man who stood up in the crunch game v. SL, and what about the final in 03?), high profile matches versus Pakistan and Australia - he's one who'll deliver.
looking for only 4 day and 3 day matches and no tests? ok someone posted it
I am sorry, Test matches are ok (i thought he had not played in 6-7 months, maybe I was wrong). If he played Test matches in 6-7 months, then please provide that info as well. Thanks Tapioca for the URL. :two_thumbs_up:

Lets define success criteria for Sehwag for the Tour of Australia Just to keep things clear, I'll keep this as a separate thread. I see there are plenty of happy and unhappy faces at Sehwag's inclusion in Test for Aus. What is the acceptable success criteria so we can have meaningful discussion after Aus Test tour is completed? It has to be relative to performance of other batsmen, and given that Sehwag is an opener (we expect openers to help us with good strong batting performances) and given that he has been extended a miraculous offer to tour - we expect very good performance from him.

If we total the runs of all Indian batsmen in the Tests that Sehwag was in the 11, he needs to be in the Top 2 or atleast Top 3 of the runscorers (within the matches/innings he gets to play). To some extent keeping this as criteria, we can talk about "how well he played" apart from runs scored etc. But runs scored is important.
Can all (or MOST of us) accept this as the criteria? (we have to ignore umpiring - too complicated to bring that if SRT gets a silly decision, or VS or RD etc) PS: just for easy reference later, cross referencing: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=81341
If we total the runs of all Indian batsmen in the Tests that Sehwag was in the 11, he needs to be in the Top 2 or atleast Top 3 of the runscorers (within the matches/innings he gets to play).
Would you have accepted a similar criteria for Gambhir or Karthik? Are you willing to give the same criteria to Jaffer, the other opener. I back Sehwag to make at least one telling century in the first innings of a test and average around the 40 mark over all.