Pankaj Singh!

Chaos

Munaf is way more experienced' date=' and crank it up too, if he wants, as he showed on a few occasions this series. [/quote'] About Munaf I have 3 questions
  1. Does he really want to ?
  2. And if does then can he be consistent & be fit ?
  3. Some of his deliveries are at the pace of less than 120 , can he do anything about that ?

I dont think he deserves to play

Yeah, but the difference is that Ranadeb ripped through lesser teams usually. Pankaj has troubled far better batsmen than Ranadeb has. I don't recollect reports discussing Ranadeb causing Mumbai or Delhi's better bats all sorts of problems, or going through the likes of Kaif, Chopra, Manhas and Dhawan. Besides, Pankaj is from Rajasthan. Unlike Bengal, THEY don't produce fresh greentops just for their seamers to flourish. Therefore Pankaj can bowl on more than one kind of surface. [backfired in the last ranjis though - orissa kicked Bengal's ass in 7 sessions - HA!]

About Munaf I have 3 questions
  1. Does he really want to ?
  2. And if does then can he be consistent & be fit ?
  3. Some of his deliveries are at the pace of less than 120 , can he do anything about that ?

I dont think he deserves to play

Excellent questions. There is no doubting his talent. However, his commitment and fitness have come under persistent cloud.

Muanf is one the most confused bowler I have ever seen. Plus he lost his pace. The same pace for which he was once famous ! well ... there is just one thing to do for BCCI .. move on and look at other guys .. But sadly even the younger guys cant bowl real quick I wonder where Balaji is . I saw him last time when India toured and he looked very committed and mostly disciplined.. Bring Back Balaji !!

>>>No, I didn't see it, I obviously don't watch players in action before commenting on them, else I'd actually have some level of perspective. My earlier posts,

Salil, you talk about FC performances, which is fair enough. However, just one thing. Does the name Ranadeb Bose ring a bell for you ? And to point out, I have nothing against him, how can i ? I havent seen him bowl. However, his selection is totally baffling to me, considering Ishant is already there.
Munaf is way more experienced' date=' and crank it up too, if he wants, as he showed on a few occasions this series. [b']As Ravi has pointed out, its baffling to see selectors including TWO rookie pacers on a trip to Aus. Essentially, what the selectors have done is to pick the playing eleven even before the tour has began. There is no way the management will risk playing either Ishant or Pankaj for the firstv test.
I am actually yet to make a single negative comment about Pankaj Singh.

MM, It should not have been daadaji patel, but Agarkar (gasp, yeah!) should have gone instead of either PS or IS rookies. AA has the experience and commitment. Lacks the consistency, but should have made the tour, since we are LACKING A RIGHT ARM bowler! Who are our right arm bowlers: 1. AA 2. daadaji patel 3. AM I MISSING ANYONE ELSE? Rest all rookies: 3. VRV (not rookie rookie, but very raw) 4. Ishant Sharma 5. Pankaj Singh 6. Praveen Kumar

Yes, bring back a man who's incapable of playing cricket for more than 2-3 days as he's still rehabilitating and remodelling his action to something he'll need to get used to. Bravo!
Actually " bring back balaji" was my attempt at humor which clearly didnt work.:whatchutalkingabout He bowled pretty well few years ago and I haven't heard about him since.........
Actually " bring back balaji" was my attempt at humor which clearly didnt work.:whatchutalkingabout He bowled pretty well few years ago and I haven't heard about him since.........
he looked more in control than any of these new fast bowlers......but again where the hell is he
Here, I found a video of India Green(the team that he played for in the Challenger Series). You can skip the great promo of ICF :D aSqkNFO04ck 17uR2nY4iwc
Did anyone else notice, Munaf patel hit a couple of 6's in that video :hysterical: How slow was tht track???

Pankaj Singh ... nearly gave up cricket (from TOI) The newest addition to India’s pace battery, the 23 year-old Pankaj Singh, who has been selected for the Australian tour, had given up on cricket just about a few years back, while he was doing his graduation. ‘‘I played in an inter-degree tournament in Sultanpur, and we won that tournament, and I picked up plenty of wickets. However, when the university team for the All-India tournament was announced, 10 of my teammates were selected and I was the only one left out. I decided to give it all up, thinking there was too much politics in cricket.’’ Things, however, took a different turn when Munawar Ali, who coaches the Mohammedan Sporting club in Kolkata, spotted him and took him in Sultanpur and took him to Bangalore. ‘‘Brijesh Patel and K Parthasarthy saw me there and they were impressed. Rahul Dravid too was there and he faced me and liked what he saw. Thereafter, I bowled in India ‘A’ camp at Bangalore and was also sent to the MRF Academy. Then, about six years back, Parthasarthy sir asked me to play for Rajasthan.’’ It was while bowling for Rajasthan, and picking wickets season after season, that Pankaj realized that he could play for India. There were problems in him playing for Rajasthan, with objections being raised about the fact that he didn’t belong to the state. ‘‘Lalit Modi sir (president of the Rajasthan Cricket Association) and a few officials helped me out. Lalit sir said as long as I was good player, nothing else mattered. Rajasthan captain Mohammad Aslam helped me as well,’’ Pankaj told TOI. Soaking in the reality that he had indeed made it to the Indian squad, Pankaj said: ‘‘I was expecting this, but wasn’t thinking too much about it, as it was up to the selectors to decide my case. I am glad that this has happened now,’’ he rattled off.

Pankaj Singh ... nearly gave up cricket (from TOI) The newest addition to India’s pace battery, the 23 year-old Pankaj Singh, who has been selected for the Australian tour, had given up on cricket just about a few years back, while he was doing his graduation. ‘‘I played in an inter-degree tournament in Sultanpur, and we won that tournament, and I picked up plenty of wickets. However, when the university team for the All-India tournament was announced, 10 of my teammates were selected and I was the only one left out. I decided to give it all up, thinking there was too much politics in cricket.’’ Things, however, took a different turn when Munawar Ali, who coaches the Mohammedan Sporting club in Kolkata, spotted him and took him in Sultanpur and took him to Bangalore. ‘‘Brijesh Patel and K Parthasarthy saw me there and they were impressed. Rahul Dravid too was there and he faced me and liked what he saw. Thereafter, I bowled in India ‘A’ camp at Bangalore and was also sent to the MRF Academy. Then, about six years back, Parthasarthy sir asked me to play for Rajasthan.’’ It was while bowling for Rajasthan, and picking wickets season after season, that Pankaj realized that he could play for India. There were problems in him playing for Rajasthan, with objections being raised about the fact that he didn’t belong to the state. ‘‘Lalit Modi sir (president of the Rajasthan Cricket Association) and a few officials helped me out. Lalit sir said as long as I was good player, nothing else mattered. Rajasthan captain Mohammad Aslam helped me as well,’’ Pankaj told TOI. Soaking in the reality that he had indeed made it to the Indian squad, Pankaj said: ‘‘I was expecting this, but wasn’t thinking too much about it, as it was up to the selectors to decide my case. I am glad that this has happened now,’’ he rattled off.
so he was 17 then:eyedance: and was asked to play Ranji
Guest HariSampath

I saw the Challengers trophy on tv.. he bowls much faster than 135..I liked the fact he is very well built, very tall 6' 5"and has a good bowling action that will create extra pace for him easily without strain or injury risk. He hits the deck hard, is a smart bowler and gets his wkts off edges, caught behind, slips etc. So all said and done, good choice. Look at the facts, he is not a complete unknown or anything.. any player who is at the India A level is certainly a prospect for India ...just that we all follow International cricket more, we don't make anyone famous till he has played for India. His FC record, India A record, people like Vengsarkar, Brijesh patel and Rahul Dravid impressed...all cannot be for nothing..and another point, how many of the current players like RP, Sree, Irfan, Munaf etc have greater records or claims to fame when they first came up ? Its only after they performed for India we all started acknowledging them.