"Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill"

audioman

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill"

..and I guess that's the same with Amitbah' date=' Sharukh[/quote'] Forget Amitabh Shahrukh Beckham Pele Maradona etc. In India everyone gets mobbed. Remember the incident month or so back where Dhoni was mobbed when he stepped out to have a hair-cut? I mean come on, a player can not have a hair cut?? :doh::doh:

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill" I am sure there must be other websites who ran the Infosys article, actually I am not sure what we are arguing here? I am not happy that Rediff provided space for something like this But now that it did, fact remains that public relate ( or can relate ) to sport and entertainment than real life problems.

I am not happy that Rediff provided space for something like this
I would agree to that. It just seems to me that with each passing day websites like Rediff are becoming nothing but a giant Message Board. I mean there are less half-decent article and more and more such snippets by some unknown. It makes me feel a bit like gone are the days of Kishore and Rafi. Today we see an "Indian Idol", "Saregamapa" every single year, cheer for some unknown and then completely forget them. Who needs so many writer/articles? Gimme a nice Prem Panicker/Faisal Sharif essay on rediff and I am happy. xxx

If there was a crappier article ever written Iam yet to see it .... Not only does this guy have any idea whatsoever about "Cricket" he excruciangly keeps harping about how working for BCCI is not representing the country ... Yes we know BCCI is not a "OFFICIAL" Body endoresed by Govt. Of India... and that Sachin is not a Govt Employee .... that to me is merely a technicality and if Iam not mistaken there are some court cases pending against BCCI in that regard. Nobody in his right mind has any doubts that any Indian Player when he plays in a ICC Test Match or a ICC ODI or any ICC event ... that person represents the Country ... and that BCCI is merely the body that manages the whole affairs. ICC would be damn pissed if they get to know that the "BCCI Team" does not represent India ... as this guy claims it to be the case. Where do these idiots come from and how do they get airtime really bothers me... :shrug:
You're right Bheembhai. Plus this guy simply doesn't know about the decision that the court took in 2005. If you people also do not know about it, then here is the link: link Bizarrely, the Board also argued that the team picked by the BCCI is not in point of fact the national side, but merely a team picked by the BCCI itself without government imprimatur. In pronouncing judgment on the BCCI's counter-petition, a two-member bench of the Delhi high court headed by Chief Justice B C Patel essentially shot the Board's contention down. In essence, the Hon'ble Court ruled that Article 226 of the Constitution applied not just to state governments or statutory bodies, but equally to "a private body discharging public duty or positive obligation of public nature". Thus, the Court suggested, the BCCI did fall under the purview of the courts of the land. Responding to the strange contention that the BCCI does not in effect pick the national side, the Court argued: "The team that it selects to represent India is known as the Indian team and wears the India logo. A player who plays for India with pride, would have only a fraction of this pride left it he were told that he does not play for India but for the BCCI XI. We have dwelt on this aspect because an inexplicable argument was advanced on behalf of the BCCI that, in point of fact, the Indian team is not a national side in the sense of having the sanction of the Government, but a side picked by the BCCI amongst Indian players.? Or, reduced to its essence, the Court said that the BCCI discharges a public function when it picks the national team; therefore, the BCCI is accountable to the public. The judgment qualifies for the 'landmark' tag, because this is the first time a court has held that the BCCI is accountable to the public; for the past 75 years of the BCCI's existence, courts have consistently held that the BCCI can only be challenged by its own members, and is not answerable to the public.

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill" Rajeev, the article is written as an argument against the previous rediff article that claimed Sachin had not lost it yada yada yada. That would put things in perspective. I agree that it is pretty stupid to call Sachin a patriot based on all this. Great player, yes. But patriot? Just because he represents India? How many of us call Amitabh Bachchan a patriot because he chooses to make Indian films? These people provide for great entertainment and make their millions out of providing viewers with a good time. This is work/business just like anyone else'.

will this author allow himself to be subjected to public criticism on his job performance ... from people other than his employers ... like Sachin does ?
If he can make half as much money as Sachin has, I'm sure he would agree without a second thought.

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill" Audio in obsession over Tendulkar yet again, what's new :shrug: It is plain stupid to compare sports with film making and corporate world. Just look back at your posts and you will see how silly an argument it is. Anyone in sane mind wouldn't think playing cricket and facking up to intimidating bowlers is not like tapping a keyboard or turning up in meetings.

I wonder if I am a lesser patriot or have served my country any lesser because I never played cricket for the B.C.C.I.? His tons don't indicate patriotism; his ten thousand runs don't indicate patriotism. They just indicate that he has been a damn good batsman over 16 years; period. I pay a huge amount of tax -- admittedly, because it is deducted at source -- every year in a country whose base of non tax paying individuals is huge. I don't spit on the roads and I don't break traffic signals. Am I leaving some stone unturned in serving the country because my talents lie in tapping a keyboard and not in wielding a bat?
Guys like this will shit in their pants at a prospect of facing even 60 mph bowling. If you can't respect someone's talent you shouldn't freakin go around derailing it either. It is not like Tendulkar is finding faults with this fella that reckons he is saving the world with tapping on a keyboard. Absolutely stupid comparison. While this fella taps away on a keyboard he is not living up to the expectations of millions of people. If it were that easy to do the job as a cricketer or as any sportsman there wouldn't only be very few top cricketers around the world. It takes heaps of sacrifices, physical/mental exhaustion and dedication to get to a state that these top cricketers are in. Simply put they indeed are special and that is the reason they are rare to come by. Someone that cannot appreciate that hasn't a scent of any sport. I'm not a big fan of collecting autographs or thronging players but I clearly believe they are cut above the rest and it is indicated that he is among one of the best in the business while the one that taps on the keyboard dime a dozen in every house these days. Someone that can't see that is simply blind.