Ian Chappell has a dig at Buchanan

Guest Hiten.

Melbourne: Launching a lampoon at John Buchanan, former captain Ian Chappell has said that his daughter would not have done a bad job as a coach of the Australian team. Defending spin great Shane Warne, who has been criticized for his panning of Buchanan, Chappell said the former coach's contribution in Australia's dream run was nil. "It's a simple decision. The captain is 95 per cent important, the coach is five per cent important. Guess who I am going to worry about first?" Chappell was quoted as saying by the 'News Limited.' "Shane Warne would have been a magnificent attacking captain for Australia. A lot of people refer to John Buchanan's record as coach. How many wickets and how many catches and how many runs did he make? "He didn't make any. His contribution to those victories in my opinion is absolutely nil. Is someone going to tell me that if my daughter had coached Australia, would the results have been any different? "I am here to tell you the results wouldn't have been any different at all. In fact, they might have been better without him there." he said. Chappell's criticism of Buchanan came at a time when the latter was trying to resolve his differences with Warne by declaring that he was keen on working with the leggie as Cricket Australia coaches. Chappell also attacked Buchanan for floating the idea of allowing Australians to play for rival nations as a way of strengthening international cricket. "The thing is, if you think about that suggestion, it's exactly what Warney said, it's from pixie-land. What you are saying is that we need to find (countries) to compete against Australia, so what he is suggesting is you send off players who can't make the Australian side to play for other teams." "How is that going to help those other teams beat Australia? It doesn't make any sense," Chappell said. http://www.cricketnext.com/news/ian-chappell-has-a-dig-at-buchanan/28476-13.html

Gilchrist Retaliates Team tired of criticism: Gilchrist Cricinfo staff December 23, 2007 Adam Gilchrist has said the Australian team is tired of the criticism from former players, mostly directed towards former coach John Buchanan.In the past few days, Shane Warne and Ian Chappell had picked on Buchanan, with Chappell stating that his daughter might have done better than Buchanan and Warne labelling Buchanan "a goose". "I must say there has been a lot said in the papers this week, it seems. I guess one of the traits that we have a lot of pride in wearing the Baggy Green is that we show a lot of respect," he said. "That's what we have prided ourselves on. It is an elite club and we have always felt that a major characteristic of being in that club is to show respect. "It just seems that some guys in retirement have lost that." Gilchrist also hoped the upcoming Test series against India would be free of the tension that was around during the ODI series played earlier this year in India. "It will be hard fought. They [india] are a team that has said that they want to take the challenge to us in an aggressive manner," he said. "Hopefully we won't go down that route again in terms of the amount that was written about and time it took. It all got a bit out of control in the one-day series early on in India. "We are both aggressive teams, we are talented teams. I think we will just be trying to play hard aggressive cricket and not go too far with it." On Australia's bowling combination for the Test, Gilchrist said it would depend on the conditions, but said he preferred a spin bowler in order to have a balanced attack. "As a general rule, I have always thought a spin bowler in a Test team is very well balanced as an option. But I must put an asterisk - it depends on the conditions and that's what we have got to weigh up. "We definitely have got the arsenal to warrant four quick bowlers if the conditions suit," he said. "We have got a world-class spin bowler in Brad Hogg. He has proven that in one-day cricket and he's now very excited about the opportunity to try and prove that he deserves to play Test cricket." Gilchrist was unperturbed about his record against India. His career average in Tests is 49.27, but in the 14 matches against India it drops to 29.95. "There's no sort of box left unticked," he said. "I have scored a couple of hundreds against them in very very difficult circumstances." © Cricinfo ---------- http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/326994.html

This is shocking behavior by both Warne and Chappell. "How many wickets and how many catches and how many runs did he make? He didn't make any. His contribution to those victories in my opinion is absolutely nil. Is someone going to tell me that if my daughter had coached Australia, would the results have been any different? I am here to tell you the results wouldn't have been any different at all. In fact, they might have been better without him there." he said. Look at the kind of rhetorical questions Chappell is asking, like how many runs/wickets/catches Buchanan took. Its clear evidence that he simply wants to rubbish him totally. Ian Chappell has lost it totally in the last few years, I dont think any cricketer or cricket lover pays any attention to him anymore.

This is shocking behavior by both Warne and Chappell. "How many wickets and how many catches and how many runs did he make? He didn't make any. His contribution to those victories in my opinion is absolutely nil. Is someone going to tell me that if my daughter had coached Australia, would the results have been any different? I am here to tell you the results wouldn't have been any different at all. In fact, they might have been better without him there." he said. Look at the kind of rhetorical questions Chappell is asking, like how many runs/wickets/catches Buchanan took. Its clear evidence that he simply wants to rubbish him totally. Ian Chappell has lost it totally in the last few years, I dont think any cricketer or cricket lover pays any attention to him anymore.
i agree MM... they both are making statements from their waazu.... I also agree that Australian cricketers are the most committed cricketers and the result would not have been much different even if they had Greg Chappel as coach:finger:.. but still these guys need to show some respect for 3 time WC winner coach.

This isnt the first time Warne has had a go at Buchanan. Seems like he holds a permanent grudge against John for not making him captain. But what makes Chappell make such stupid statements against John ? I wonder if there is some history between the two.

Haha. JB was simply too intellectual for Warney. The Aussie coach has nothing to do with the appointment of the captain, mm. The history re. Chappelli is simply that he captained Australia before coaches were in vogue. Right from when Simmo first became the Oz coach, he maintained the only coach a team needed was to get the team to and from the ground.

But why only Buchanan ? I dont see these guys criticizing anybody else ? If this were merely just "JB merely being too intellectual for Warne" or Chappelli being from the times when " coaches were not in vogue" these two must have a go at most people. But i dont see that. And to call someone who has taken more than 700 test wickets and considered as one of the best spinners of all time as "not as intellectual as JB" is doing grave injustice to Warne, IMO.

And to just add on, to say things like " Has he scored runs, has he taken wickets or catches" or " Even my daughter wouldnt have done a bad job if she were coach of the Aussie team" about arguably the most successful cricket coach is in-explicable. And Was Buchanan really a bad coach ? Here's Ricky Ponting, showering effusive praise on Buchanan and his tactics Buchanan deserves praise for outstanding record AFP January 1, 2007 Ricky Ponting has praised the work of the coach John Buchanan for much of Australia's recent success and believes his successor has an enormous role to fill. While the retirements of Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath and Justin Langer dominate Australia's view of the fifth Test at Sydney from Tuesday, it is also Buchanan's final Test in charge. Buchanan, 53, will stand down after the World Cup in West Indies in April and a search is underway for his replacement. Ponting's comments come after Kevin Pietersen claimed the Australian coach was not respected by his own players. Ponting said Buchanan and his support staff had been overlooked for a long time and deserved to share in the side's achievements. "They have to accept some of the accolades that come the team's way," Ponting said at the SCG. "You look at the standard of cricket that we've been able to play over a long period of time. "Just before John took over and certainly right through his stint as coach we've played some amazing cricket. Even this current run, we've won 11 matches on the trot. That doesn't happen every day either. The coach has got to take a lot of the credit for that." Langer, who announced his Test retirement today, described Buchanan as "the great visionary". "I've learned so much from John Buchanan," Langer said. "He's an outstanding person and an outstanding coach. His vision was monumental in the success we've had over the last few years." Buchanan has the exceptional record of 68 wins in 89 Tests in charge, and having started with 15 consecutive victories in 1999-2001, he could finish with 12 straight successes. "He's been coaching a very skilled and very talented team," Ponting said. "What you've seen some of those players do has been a lot of the time pretty extraordinary, so he's got to take a lot of the credit for that." Tom Moody, the former Test and one-day allrounder who is currently with Sri Lanka, and Tim Nielsen, a previous Australia assistant coach, are the front-runners to replace Buchanan. © Cricinfo --------- http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/ausveng/content/current/story/274648.html

But why only Buchanan ? I dont see these guys criticizing anybody else ? If this were merely just "JB merely being too intellectual for Warne" or Chappelli being from the times when " coaches were not in vogue" these two must have a go at most people. But i dont see that. And to call someone who has taken more than 700 test wickets and considered as one of the best spinners of all time as "not as intellectual as JB" is doing grave injustice to Warne, IMO.
Apart from that being nonsensical reasoning, it's Christmas here and, although I'm not a Christian, it's a time for goodwill towards men so go pick an argument with someone else, mm. Not interested. Season's greetings to you. :regular_smile: By the way, the ratio of books read by the two men mentioned is about 1000:1 in Buchanan's favour. You work it out.

FACT no.1 : I am NOT interested in picking useless arguments with anyone. I was just wondering aloud why two of Australia's greatest players would target their most successful coach like this FACT no.2 : You dont need to have a book reading ratio of 1000:1 to be more intellectual than anyone else. Shane Warne probably knows more about spin bowling and cricket than John Buchanan's thousands of books could ever teach him. And yes, Seasons greeting to you too Sir, Enjoy the flavor of Christmas. P.S : I can see that I have well and truly gotten under your skin, to the point where you consider even my blatantly harmless posts as provocative.Oh well, theres nothing i can do about it.