Rahul Dravid reaches a fair time to leave: a dignified exit

head coach

Guest HariSampath

by your standards for Dravid: Pathan got a 100 in the only test he played against Pakistan...which Dravid did not, and in Aus too he batted above Dravid in the Perth test and got a very useful score, in fact he played very well in both innings , got wkts and won us the game too, so how can he be dropped ?

by your standards for Dravid: Pathan got a 100 in the only test he played against Pakistan...which Dravid did not' date=' and in Aus too he batted above Dravid in the Perth test and got a very useful score, in fact he played very well in both innings , got wkts and won us the game too, so how can he be dropped ?[/quote'] Because one is an all time great batsman and the other is a good swing bowler cum a handy batsman.
^..No, I am just saying that no one should assume a player has an automatic right into the side.
Now you are just being a sanctimonious fool preaching to the choir. I very much realize the concept of 'no player is above the team/has automatic right'. I thought that would've been evident to any observer perceptive enough to see my calls for dropping Tendulkar in the past as well as my extremely high esteem for him. However, what YOU fail to realize is that you don't just toss away players as great as Dravid simply due to a bad patch- which btw, is far smaller than Tendy's rough patch. My suggestion- of dropping Dravid down the order is not just a device to keep dravid in the team(though it accomplishes that mission)- it IS the best option for the team! Dravid is struggling with his timing and is low on confidence. He bats at #3 plus has been asked to open even when he is not suited to. Plus India has one of the poorer opening combos in test cricket, so Dravid is more often at 10/1 than MOST other #3s. He is essentially the pivot and acted as the pivot to the team for the past several years and he needs a break from that responsibility. Its just that simple. I think Dravid needs to bat in a less pressure spot to get his composure back- following which, a player of Dravid's class is woth 100x than that of Yuvraj/Kaif and any other newbies for a while. Plus there is also the fact that Laxman is in fairly good nick and he's done well as #3 in the past ( he averages 49 there- thats pretty darn good!). There is also the FACT that last time India tried this ( dropping Dravid down the order and bumping Laxy up) it worked very very well! Not to mention, there is also the FACT that some players have dropped down the order to get out of a rough patch/bat in a less pressure spot. This juggle of VVS-Dravid IMO serves the best interests of the team,since it still keeps the best batsmen in the team and maximises output for team India. I am afraid, your idea of 'drop dravid' is utterly misguided sense of 'blood new youth' so far. I think this option, given how much sense it makes and its precedent, should atleast be tried a little before there is any serious talk of axing Dravid.
Guest HariSampath

I disagree...you are going in for selecting a team with the preconceived notion that "Dravid has to somehow play", and I am not. I go in thinking " what do I need to win this test", I decide the team combination required and the bowlers ( seam/spin) etc on subcontinental conditions to take 20 wkts. Then I decide the team by filling in my slots. Here Dravid will not find a place in the MO as we have batters like Sachin, VVS and Ganguly with better recent records, and Dhoni , Kumble to follow, leaving space for 4 more bowlers one of whom, if Pathan, adds to the batting strength. Now are you debating my approach ?

I think this option, given how much sense it makes and its precedent, should atleast be tried a little before there is any serious talk of axing Dravid.
Well said. And that makes even more sense when we realize that if Dravid is axed, VVS will play at #3. So try that option right now and see what we get out of it.