Rahul Dravid reaches a fair time to leave: a dignified exit

head coach

Rahul Dravid is one of the most gentle cricketers the cricketing world has ever seen. His sacrifices and contributions towards success of team stands on top. In a country where politicians and other public figures are only interested in holding onto their positions in eternity, he is an exception and has shown us grace, dignity and above all maturity with his decision to stand down as captain. In the first test against Aussie, he might be struggling to regain his form but he has the resolute in him to become the top scorer when the series unfolds. Having said that I believe it is fair time for him to leave test cricket after this series on a high note before people start thrashing his contributions. He should be remembered as a great Wall who stood tall against his opponents and not as someone who struggled towards the end of his career!

I think he ll quite after this series... I tot the same abt his captaincy... and he did quit... hope he does the same this time
Just curious Zubin, What made you think that Dravid will relinquish his captaincy? He had returned from a successful and significant tour to England. I agree he had a poor run with the bat in the tests but he crackeda super fast 92 off 63 balls, couple of other good scores...But generally Indian captains do not resign after a successful tour. did u think Dilip Vengsarkar's interference would have been a reason? Yean?why?

IF dravid leaves cricket it would be great tragedy for Indian cricket, he is one cricketer who has done everything in his powers to put team first, he opened the batting even when he was captain to accommodate others in the team. He just lacks the public image like Kumble thats why he has been made scapegoat for Indian team's lack of success.

It's not the time for him to retire. That's taking the easy way out' date=' he should work on his game and come back stronger.[/quote'] Completely agree. After this series, whether he scores runs or not he should take time off (definitely opt out of the triseries) and not just score runs in domestic games but actually work a little bit on his technique especially 1. Watch his old videos (1996 SA/Eng series etc) and analyze his batting style. 2. Leaving the balls (he was really great at it) 3. Not shuffling across or standing a yard in front of the crease (he used to come across earlier also but not this much and used to adjust if bowlers were working on getting him out lbw) 4. Taking singles (this is easier said than done but he can surely give it a try in Ranji/Duleep trophy). 5. Not take too much advice from too many players.
In the first test against Aussie, he might be struggling to regain his form but he has the resolute in him to become the top scorer when the series unfolds. Having said that I believe it is fair time for him to leave test cricket after this series on a high note before people start thrashing his contributions.
I am not so sure about that. Dravid has been in terrible form in this series and from whatever I have seen him do at the crease he doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever. In the first innings he played a tortoiseque 66 ball 5. And do remember that he received atleast 2 close calls and was dismissed off a no-ball. What bothers me is his sheer inability to rotate the strikes. Even of deliveries far away from off stump he was unable to do anything except get the bat and keep the ball down. In this innings he is following the same route with 30 ball 3. I would hope Dravid proves me wrong but he seems to be performing at 50% of the batsman he is. At the end of the day he would most likely retain his position in the side due to the whole - If you retire Dravid then who? - line of thought. xxx
I am not so sure about that. Dravid has been in terrible form in this series and from whatever I have seen him do at the crease he doesnt fill me with any confidence whatsoever. In the first innings he played a tortoiseque 66 ball 5. And do remember that he received atleast 2 close calls and was dismissed off a no-ball. What bothers me is his sheer inability to rotate the strikes. Even of deliveries far away from off stump he was unable to do anything except get the bat and keep the ball down. In this innings he is following the same route with 30 ball 3. I would hope Dravid proves me wrong but he seems to be performing at 50% of the batsman he is. At the end of the day he would most likely retain his position in the side due to the whole - If you retire Dravid then who? - line of thought. xxx
Lurker, If Dravid retires after this series then ideal candidates are Badrinath or Tiwary.
Lurker' date=' If Dravid retires after this series then ideal candidates are Badrinath or Tiwary.[/quote'] Hmm.. true that. We need to blood those guys on easier tours and take them instead of some of the seniors. IMO there is a lot of batting talent in the ranks
I hope Dravid will prove critics wrong and will go back to his fantastic best
Fineleg, I'm not a Dravid critic. His fantastic best years that you still expect are over! I'm sure he realizes that more than anyone else. He is a true gentleman and wont drag his feet too long for sure... :hatsoff:
Guest HariSampath

It is very unlikely that Dravid will get a chance to play in the 2nd test....and the chances are he will reassess his situation and game too. He is a very intelligent dignified cricketer who may want to think whether this is a lack of form or he is seriously downhill, and its the end of a fantastic test career. If this test , where he was a miserable failure, is not seen in isolation but in the context of England and pakistan series, it certainly looks that he is at the end of the road. Sad, but true. If he is dropped from 2-3 tests, Dravid will announce his retirement.