Sachin: "I told Harbhajan that I believed he could bat"

Tendulkar chatting with Chappell, Shastri and Gavaskar right now on Star Cricket's post-show. Points he covered on his batting with the tail: - He believes Harbhajan has a lot of talent with the bat and he told him so immediately. - Made it clear to Bhajji that he was capable of scoring here - rough transcription - "If you tell a bowler they can bat, you charge them up, make them want to prove themselves and that is good for the team." - It's good to give that incentive to the lower order batsmen. When they are in, the fielders defend against the set/top order batsmen and make it harder to score runs at pace. They attack the lower order batsmen, and the field placings allow for more boundaries and quicker runs - so if the lower order bats are applying themselves and backing themselves to score, they can really cash in there. - He likes all of Sydney, not just the SCG :D - No mention of him batting for his average. :P

what a loser this guy is' date=' now he's even taking credit for other people's hard work. Tomorrow he'll say he distracted Bucknor when Symonds edged it[/quote'] quote the part where he took the credit for tailender's performance or dnt run your mouth on here
what a loser this guy is' date=' now he's even taking credit for other people's hard work. Tomorrow he'll say he distracted Bucknor when Symonds edged it[/quote'] Wat's wrong with telling a bowler that he can bat? Even when he played a great knock,Sachin bashers like you are trying to get the spotlight.. Go and watch something else...dont watch cricket..plzzzzzzzzz

Taking credit would be - "only because I told Harbhajan he could bat, was he was terrific". It's all semantics. I think what Sachin said was great and going by what the commentators on TV were saying about how much Harbhajan looked/looks up to Sachin, his comments prolly would have meant a lot.

Not to mention the general idea stressed by some on here (and the likes of SRW) that if you let lower order batsmen know they can bat' date=' and treat them as proper batting partners, the side will be better off than if you just protect them like an army of Phil Tufnells.[/quote']Actually Chappell was saying the same thing during commentry, if you trust the tail enders, they usually respond positively. But also trust some people not to get finer points of the game.
Actually Chappell was saying the same thing during commentry' date=' if you trust the tail enders, they usually respond positively. But also trust some people not to get finer points of the game.[/quote'] I think he spent more time laying into Tendulkar for taking the single and exposing Sharma to strike instead of hitting boundaries.

Nothing, absolutely nothing can justify Sachin handing over the strike to Ishant in the first ball of EVERY over. I can understand him trusting Bhajji and to an extent RPS, but rotating the strike with a 19 year old no.11 playing his 3rd test match is absurd. It is worthwhile to note that hardly anyone was raising their decibels beyond whispering levels when Sachin was rotating the strike with Bhajji or RPS, but posters were justifiably up in arms when he did the same with Ishant. And the comment he is using to cover his tactics,

If you tell a bowler they can bat, you charge them up, make them want to prove themselves and that is good for the team."
is just absolute nonsense. So, why dont we tell an opening batsman he can bowl and ask him to bowl all the time ? The first pre-requisite for reposing faith in a tail-ender is his batting talent, and by all the looks of it, Ishant looked as though he could get out ANY time. And another gem from the master,
It's good to give that incentive to the lower order batsmen. When they are in, the fielders defend against the set/top order batsmen and make it harder to score runs at pace. They attack the lower order batsmen, and the field placings allow for more boundaries and quicker runs - so if the lower order bats are applying themselves and backing themselves to score, they can really cash in there.
Yes, that is correct, but even the dumbest person on the planet will know that Ponting bought in the field for the last 2 balls of every over if Sachin was on strike. How hard could it be to try to go over the top ? Yet, Sachin didnt attempt a SINGLE adventurous shot in his partnership with both RPS and Ishant. And worse still, a tail-ender on strike not only means he has a chance to score, but the opposition has a chance to get him out as well. Either Sachin has all of a sudden discovered an unknown method of batting with the tail, or all the tactics of batsman like Chanderpaul, Misbah-ul-Haq, who batted so beautifully with the tail by farming the strike, were totally wrong. Take your own pick. The blunt truth is that, Sachin wanted to remain not-out, as he has tried to do on almost all of his 100s in the recent past, even if it means defying cricketing logic. He got away this time because by some rare piece of fortune both RPS and Ishant survived, otherwise, I wonder what sort of explanation he would have given. Who knows, maybe he would have just told the truth - " I wanted to remain not-out and boost my average".
Yes SRT suddenly discovered an unknown method of batting with the tail that SW so successfully employed against us of all people.
Yea.. you got no other refuge have you ? A no.11 against the pace of Lee and Johnson, for 5 balls every over... Sure, sound tactics indeed !

I'm an admirer of Tendya, but yesterday his tactics were baffling .... The only reason I could think of were that he thought this match was heading for a draw and hence the bacchas should get some practice/confidence for the future. I'm sure Ishant Sharma feels better while bowling by remembering that he stood up to the Aussies while batting.. it's psychological. Tendya's strange tactics might make sense, because at one point (not sure if it was RP/IS at the other end) Brad Hogg came on and Tendya played out the entire over, refusing singles and avoided getting the tailender on strike. Perhaps he thought they were better equipped to play the pacemen.... God knows (oh wait perhaps he does) what goes on in his mind...

though this is abt sachin, i'll rather talk abt bhajji's batting after a long period of time v get 2 c a good batting display from him i too had faith in his batting abilities, but till date he always thrown his wicket, no such thing as a good delivery that has got rid of bhajji always trying to hit the ball hard up in the air has led to his dismissal n now v c how playing ground shots can be so useful 4 him and s team as well

It is really tough to be Sachin.... Damned if you do and damned if you don't. The man pulled the team out of douldroms shepherding the tail to put about 200-225 more runs then we would have got under the stage and he is still being slagged. If he would have attacked and got out, people would have slated him for being irresponsible and throwing his wicket away now that we have got a lead and just because he wasn't the last wicket to fall, everybody is going after him that he didn't attack...