Harbhajan summoned by match referee

did anyone catch why Sachin and Singh were called over to speak to the umpires? the aussie and Indian players were talking, the umpires then went off to chat, then called Sachin over and had words to him...... a bit of sledging by each side or perhaps a rule clarification?

I was going to ask about this in another thread. Damn the umpires for talking with their hands over their mouth - like the commentators said, I can't see what it was that they didn't want us to hear/know? Apparently it was more about the Andrew Symonds - Singh saga. Singh said something to Symonds later on after the chat, but he was ignored.

i think Bhajji really retaliated with some nasty remarks...well..Symonds started this...thought he is just a passive indian block.. this lesson will teach him a thing or two about sikhs... no wonder they are among the majority in armed forces.. i think...Bhajji spoke about his ancestors ..or family members..otherwise there is nothing more which can really heat up the chat... But i liked it...it really backfired on symonds...kept his trap shut after that..

Harbhajan summoned by match referee Harbhajan Singh has been charged with a Level III offence under the ICC Code of Conduct following his on-field altercation with Andrew Symonds on day three of the second Test in Sydney. The two players came face to face while Harbhajan was batting. Under the code, Harbhajan will have a hearing with match referee Mike Procter for "using language or gestures that offends, insults, humiliates, intimidates, threatens, disparages or vilifies another person on the basis of that person's race, religion, gender, colour, descent, or national or ethic origin". Television replays showed Harbhajan beckoning Symonds and the two of them having an extended conversation before Matthew Hayden and Sachin Tendulkar, who was batting at the other end, intervened. The two umpires then spoke to Harbhajan. The charge was laid by the umpires following a complaint by Ricky Ponting. If found guilty Harbhajan could face of ban of between two and four Tests or four and eight one-dayers. The hearing is scheduled for after close of play on Saturday. Tendulkar was asked about the incident at the press conference following the day's play and said he thought it was not an issue. "There were a couple of lines exchanged," he said. "It keeps happening virtually every day. As far as I'm concerned [as long as] the games move on and the players don't cross their limits its fine. It's good for the spectators too. Sometimes it's humorous and sometimes it is funny." Asked whether the exchange was funny, Symonds, Tendulkar replied, had said: 'You seem to be very friendly with our bowlers. Why don't you be friends with me now? I am a bowler as well.' Symonds has had previous run-ins with the Indian cricketers, particularly with Sreesanth. Earlier this year when Australia toured India for seven ODIs in October, Symonds had slammed India's on-field behaviour and said Harbhajan and Sreesanth had been the major instigators of on-field conflicts between the two sides. Sreesanth, while acting as 12th man during the fourth ODI in Chandigarh, reportedly taunted Symonds as he returned to the pavilion after his dismissal. Reports from the series also suggested that Symonds had been subjected to racial taunts in the form of moneky chants by spectators in Baroda and Mumbai. Symonds said he hadn't complained about the crowd behaviour at the venues and though he was not bothered at being targetted by partisan spectators, he said he was upset the abuse had been denied by the local authorities. :omg: http://content-www.cricinfo.com/baggygreen/content/story/329037.html

Maybe because of a comment like yours
:haha: then they shud comeup with wat to say n wat not to say....some sorta guidelines.. hyprcrisy at its best i feel refrees r sukin too much ozzie for too long.. they shud try some brownie di.cks too... as long as we have wimps like BCCI, this will continue..

Thanks for the article, Desi. I just briefly heard something on a news update about it and was wondering what was going on. Hadn't heard anything about it all night, nor read about it on Aus newsites. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Thanks for the article' date=' [b']Desi. I just briefly heard something on a news update about it and was wondering what was going on. Hadn't heard anything about it all night, nor read about it on Aus newsites. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.
I heard it on the radio couple of hrs ago and since then I have been online looking for masala ... Sachin claimed Harbhajan had said: "You seem to be very friendly with our bowlers. Are you trying to be friends with me now? I am a bowler as well." "It was just one of those things," Tendulkar said. If Harbhajan is found guilty, it could be said he would be ruled out for the rest of the series and could find his career disrupted.

these irritaing aussies!! this is my first post in ICF..aussies can insult,abuse..do whatever they like..when its directed at them they cant take it.. when the ****ing mcgrath called jayasuriya 'black monkey' he was left scot free. when the present STAR CRICKET gentleman michael slater abused venkatraghavan,it was dismissed as an 'one off' incident..what the ****ing rights do they have to question bhaji?? and no can certainly blame the crowds for calling symonds a monkey!!!HELL,he looks like one!!!!! note that they were pretty friendly,nice,affable till today,cuz they were sure india wasnt a challenge.. today they realised india can be a threat,so all these talk,we also saw brett lee trying to soften up ishant.. actually,we should not expect better behaviour from aussies..!!!

aussies can insult' date='abuse..do whatever they like..when its directed at them they cant take it.. [/quote'] That's the Australian way, don't you know? ;-) I don't condone racism at all but I'm getting just a tad tired with Symond's now. A friend of mine just texted me and said that the news said something about it being a sledge against his mother. Not sure if that contains even one iota of truth, but ffs.

Haha. You think that's racist...you should see what people are writing on other forums and news sites. According to one idiot Indians that live in Australia and continue to support India are terrorists. I have a feeling I should start fearing lynch mobs during the February matches. :nervous:(j/k).

Haha. You think that's racist...you should see what people are writing on other forums and news sites. According to one idiot Indians that live in Australia and continue to support India are terrorists. I have a feeling I should start fearing lynch mobs during the February matches. :nervous:(j/k).
I have seen it first hand .. I mean racism thats why Im saying that no one has a right to do it. It doesnt matter if you are an Indian or Aussie. Lets keep it clean here .......

Harbhajan accused of racism Malcolm Conn | January 05, 2008 INDIA spinner Harbhajan Singh faces being banned for the remainder of the Test series against Australia after being reported for racially abusing Andrew Symonds at the Sydney Cricket Ground yesterday. In a sensational development that has completely overshadowed a brilliant century from Sachin Tendulkar on the third day of the second Test in Sydney, Harbhajan allegedly revived the terrible crowd abuse Symonds suffered during the recent one-day tour of India. During the tour Symonds, the only black player in the Australian side, was abused with monkey chants. Ricky Ponting made a complaint after Harbhajan confronted Symonds while batting yesterday. Harbhajan has been reported by umpires Steve Bucknor and Mark Benson under clause 3.3 of the International Cricket Council code of conduct. It carries a penalty of being banned for between two and four Tests or four to eight one-day matches. It was at the end of a Brett Lee over that tensions boiled over. On the way to a breezy 63, Harbhajan made a point of seeking out Symonds. Tendulkar wandered over to join his batting partner and waved away Matthew Hayden as he turned to offer some well-chosen words to the noisy Harbhajan. Unimpressed that Harbhajan had reopened a personal feud with Symonds, Ponting marched over and let Harbhajan know he should pull his head in. By this stage umpires Bucknor and Mark Benson, who have barely had control of this game from the outset, were conferring and called Harbhajan over. Yesterday's questionable behaviour started long before Harbhajan decided to go verbal, when Ganguly highlighted he was from the same school of poor fielding and petulant behaviour as Yuvraj Singh

You missed the funny bit of the article Resuming on 21, Ganguly dominated the scoring ahead of a more circumspect Tendulkar, taking to spinner Brad Hogg until he drove with the outside half of the bat to be caught at mid-off by Mike Hussey for 67 from just 78 balls with seven fours and a six. Ganguly had decided to go after fellow left-hander Hogg with some gusto but was so horrified to give his wicket to the 36-year-old Test rookie for a third time in as many innings that Ganguly showed his disgust like a 12-year-old by bashing his bat on the ground. :giggle: What a sook ... I mean the author of the article ... 1. Why so much disrespect for ganguly ?? 2. How does he know or what prrof does he have that something racist was said and if so then what were the exact words ... :finger:

Ganguly had decided to go after fellow left-hander Hogg with some gusto but was so horrified to give his wicket to the 36-year-old Test rookie for a third time in as many innings that Ganguly showed his disgust like a 12-year-old by bashing his bat on the ground.
What a flipping idiot. Sounds like a 12 year old wrote the article. /end Ganguly biasness.