What international cuisine do you like?

Brainfade

Besides Indian food, which I assume most of us like in one form or another, what cuisines do you like? I love Italian - essentially anything with cheese. Love Thai food as long as it does not have fish sauce/fish oil. OK with Greek/Mediterranean and Mexican food. Not a huge fan of Chinese (unless it is Szechuan or Indo-Chinese). Japanese is bland.

I doubt may of you here have tried Ethiopian cuisine but if there is an ethiopian caffe in your city, seriously give it a go. Their food is limited in variety but AMAZING. Don't bother with their veggies- its just boiled & mashed stuff. But their meat dishes- masha-allah, its FABULOUS. They usually cook it in a very flavourful spicy curry ( dry curry or sometimes soupy curry) and eat it with this spongy kinda bread that is a PERFECT match with their food- its slightly sour in taste but the consistency of the bread is a perfect match with meat.

I have heard some great comments about Ethiopian food, and even though there are a few in my town I have somehow never ended up there. Probably need to check them out. Any special dish recommendation? That way I can atleast know what to expect.

I have heard some great comments about Ethiopian food, and even though there are a few in my town I have somehow never ended up there. Probably need to check them out. Any special dish recommendation? That way I can atleast know what to expect.

Any special dish recommendation? That way I can atleast know what to expect.
I am not a fan of their fish, simply because i find fish + bread = bad combo (and Ethiopian cuisine doesnt do rice, its all about bread), so i will stay clear of it if i were you. Mind you, the fish itself ( be it dry-fried curry or soupy curry) is fairly good tasting but the bread just doesnt go with it IMO. For meat, its mostly lamb,chicken or beef, made in similar styles. IIRC, the 3 major preparation styles are Kitfo, Kekel and Tibs. Kitfo is minced meat that is lightly cooked ( would be rare-medium by steak standards) and spiced with a strong sauce (mitmita i think its called) that makes it taste a bit sweetish- not my favourite. Kekel, which is my favourite by far, is a slow cooked soupy dish that is very close in taste to similar type of Indian dishes- the spicing if flavourful, yet mellow (it is not a hot dish,though it can have a mild burn to it) and a good aroma to it. Given the kind of preparation, i prefer it in lamb. Tibs is by far the most varied dish i find and it is very similar in texture to dry-curries in Indian cuisine ( you know the type, where there is meat, a little bit of oniony-paste and some oil,not much 'curry/water' to it) and it is a stronger flavour than Kekel and can be made fairly spicy. I prefer it in beef, though chicken goes just as well with it. If the ethiopian place has a bar in it, ask for a Merlot or Shiraz, preferrably French and IMO they go very well with Tibs and Kitfo. For Kekel, i'd recommend a white wine- preferrably Sauvignon Blanc or Reisling with it.

i think' date=' it is more a dosa thing than a roti....[/quote'] I can see that but its neither...dosas are crispy on the outside/edges and soft on the inside and have a much stronger 'sourish' taste to the crepe. Injera is soft and spongy (it even looks like a sponge when you turn it over with the holes in it).

Thanks CC, Apo and Gator. Seems like I am the only ignorant one here when it comes to Ethiopian food! So injera for roti/dosai/crepe/pancake kinda and Tibs or Kekel..Got it. Generally speaking, what turns out better - lamb or chicken?