This World Cup Will Be Decided On The Toss

Dhondy

Yup. If the coin flips your way, close your eyes, point to the boundary. Field every time, and you can't go wrong. Early starts, underprepared tracks which ease out as the day wears on mean that the team bowling first will have a massive advantage. When two teams are equal, the toss will make the difference. Practice the toss, Rahul. What this also means is that if you are in doubt as to whether you play a bowler or a batsman, go for the batsman. Sehwag over a Pathan, for example. If you win the toss, take the powerplays back to back, and drive home the advantage. The first 20 overs could possibly decide the match. This will be a low scoring tournament. Let alone insane talk of four hundreds and five hundreds, even 300 will be difficult to breach, except aganst the minnows. Teams batting first will be well advised to keep theit best batsmen back for the later half of the innings. Scoring will be much easier in the last 20 overs.

Re: This World Cup Will Be Decided On The Toss Don't be fooled by the warm-up results, Dhondy. The pitches will be as batsmen-friendly as conceivable; designed to allow both sides to make full use of the 50 overs. The advertisers wouldn't have it any other way, and niether will the adminstrators. .

Re: This World Cup Will Be Decided On The Toss ...otherwise it will just be a repeat of the '03 WC. Remember how the dew factor skewed the advantage towards the side fielding under lights ? I will never forget how Ganguly quite literally did a STRUT back to the pavilion after winning the toss vs ENG. The game was won at that very moment.

Re: This World Cup Will Be Decided On The Toss

...otherwise it will just be a repeat of the '03 WC. Remember how the dew factor skewed the advantage towards the side fielding under lights ? I will never forget how Ganguly quite literally did a STRUT back to the pavilion after winning the toss vs ENG. The game was won at that very moment.
No, the game was won because Nehra produced the spell of his life.

history doesnt support I dont think winning the toss and fielding is a given. In the India - WI series out of 5 matches 3 were won by team batting first. yes I know that pitches have been relaid etc. but I think you are making too much of the warmup games

Andy Roberts expects sporting pitches http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wc2007/content/current/story/284925.html Cricinfo staff March 12, 2007 Andy Roberts, the former West Indies fast bowler who is now a pitch consultant for the World Cup, has predicted that the pitches in the tournament may not necessarily be slow turners, contrary to general expectations. With several pitches being relaid and a few new surfaces being tried out, Roberts expects the pitches to offer enough assistance to both batsmen and bowlers. "A lot of people will be surprised by the 22 yards on offer," Roberts told The Times of India. "We won't get the slow pitches that people are anticipating." Roberts, also the chief curator of the Antigua Recreation Ground, cited the India-West Indies practice match at the Trelawny Stadium last week as an example. West Indies were bundled out for just 85 on a pitch which offered plenty of seam movement to the seamers. "What you will find is a lot of brand new pitches," he said. "For the first game or so they may be slow. That will not be the case right through. At some venues it will have even bounce, some will also have a lot of carry." Roberts has been busy supervising the preparation of pitches all over the Caribbean for the World Cup, coordinating with Andy Atkinson, the ICC's pitch consultant. When asked for his impression of the relaid wickets, Roberts said that the surfaces in the Kensington Oval in Barbados and the Sir Viv Richards Stadium in Antigua were sporting in nature. However, he expressed caution over the new surface in Guyana, given its location in the South American mainland, unlike the other host nations. "The wicket in Barbados has been playing fairly well in the practice games. There have been lots of runs. The bounce and carry has been good. Antigua too has a new pitch and if it has been prepared according to the specifications then you might see the same thing there. "The only one I am worried about is Guyana. It doesn't have the same type of clay as other countries. It may surprise us because it is a new pitch." Pitches in the West Indies have slowed down over the years, offering plenty of assistance to the slower bowlers as India observed last year during their tour. However, he felt that the region had come for some unfair criticism. "In the Champions Trophy too you had some bad pitches. Most pitches around the world have slowed down."

I think it is way too early to be saying this. I would rather wait for the big games in the first round and then come to a stand. We haven't seen anything as yet.
There we go I feel quite happy with my prediction. The pitch was not bad at all. In fact it was way better than a lot of countries can offer. There was decent bounce, carry, swing, a little seam, spun all right and batters that played well could score on it. I think this pitch was tailor made for good cricket. I hope we are not speaking too soon and continue to see similar pitches. A score of 250 - 275 being a winning total is a welcome change. :wtg: