Confederations Cup 2009 Final : Canarinho's v/s The Yanks

Shane

Confederations Cup 2009

Group A: South Africa, Iraq, New Zealand, Spain Group B: USA, Italy, Brazil, Egypt Fixtures

14/6/09	South Africa	v	Iraq

14/6/09	New Zealand	v	Spain

15/6/09	Brazil	v	Egypt

15/6/09	USA	v	Italy

17/6/09	Spain	v	Iraq

17/6/09	South Africa	v	New Zealand

18/6/09	USA	v	Brazil

18/6/09	Egypt	v	Italy

20/6/09	Spain	v	South Africa

20/6/09	Iraq	v	New Zealand

21/6/09	Italy	v	Brazil

21/6/09	Egypt	v	USA

Semi Finals
24/6/09	Winner Group A	v	Runner up Group B

25/6/09	Winner Group B	v	Runner up Group A

3rd Place Play-off
28/6/09	 	 	 

Final
28/6/09	 	 	 

The Egyptian goalie was fantastic yesterday. But I should say lame finishes from Iaquinta and Co. cost Italy the match. Italy have got some serious problems all over the park. Chiellini struggled miserably when put under pressure, Zambrotta was completely outpaced and Gattuso is too old to last even 60mins. They gotta fix up these issues and come up with a better performance against Brazil which wont be easy. But you never know with Italy they might just sneak through to the next round. Go Azzuri Go.

Im a big italy fan but they were very poor yesterday. No pace or invention at all. Why Rossi didnt start is beyond me. Toni is NOT international class. Defensively poor- lots of first half errors- Cannavaro was great but not anymore. Same with Zambrotta who still has a great engine but as you say Don not so much the pace. Gattuso hasnt played all season and should not have been near the squad. Lippi was saying when asked about Gattuso that even if he was half fit Gattuso would have picked- I was like- WHAT?? There is young talent in the Serie A that should be given a go- now was a the right time with the WC a year away and in an international tourno- Marco Motta at right back, Foggia a left winger, Pazzini up front, Pepe looked ok when he came on injected a little pace. Giavinco should be in the squad. I think Chiellini is ok; There are defs like Napoli CB Santacroce who can be given a run. I dont know why Lippi dosent like Cassano who is probably the only genuniely creative attacker they have. Buffon- Motta, Santacroce,Chiellini, Grosso(for want of better options)- Brighi, De Rossi©- Foggia, Cassano,Pepe- Pazzini Would have been my Italy team for this tourno- why not experiment hopefully this tourno will teach em a lesson and hopefully its not too late.. Frustrating Azzuri.

I didnt watch the match yesterday but in the Egypt game they were defensively very poor especially Chiellini . I haven't seen much of Santacroce and Motta but I like to see Cannavaro as the center back still. He is such an inspiration to the side. They have some problems in the midfield. It is time to move on from the likes of Camoranesi and Gattuso (I am a big fan of his). Pirlo - De Rossi - Foggia will be my picks. The biggest problem they have is in the frontline. They struggle to find the net in the recent times even though they beat the US 3-1. Nobody in the current squad is capable of playing the middleman role of Totti. If that is the case they should better go with 4-4-2 instead of the diamond formation. Di Natale -Rossi - will be my frontline with Montolivo in midfield(he looked impressive against Egypt).

Big problems up front- no goal scorer. Toni is a useful battering ram who can hold the ball up but dosent score. Gilardino is probably a better finisher but dosent have anything else really. Pazzini i think is a striker who can cut it at international level, scored on his debut but was dropped I am not sure why. Pacy and can finish. Youre right I dont think 4-3-3 works at all becuase theres no width, yesterday it seemed like Camoranesi played behind the two front men really. And hes ok but yes they do have a problem with someone playing in that hole behing the stiker- that, for me, is where Antonio Cassano comes in. With Giovinco of Juve as an understudy. 4-4-2 could work, they would need good wingers. Foggia could be one, maybe Pepe on the right. Montolivo is ok- im sure he is supposed to be an attacking mid but both times i have seen him play was vs Brazil-yday and at the Emirates and he was ordinary, spent most of the time tracking back to close Robinho etc down. Pirlo and De Ross in the middle Not sure about Di Natale and Rossi both are similar ish in that they like to drop off a main man. Rossi with an 'out and out' striker- Pazzini or perhaps Iaquinta. Jurys out whether either are international class- but Iaquinta can offer more than Gila for me-pacier and stronger. Or even Di Nat and Iaq -they know each other from when Iaq was at Udinese

Guest Hiten.

Holy mother god. USA beat Spain to enter the finals. USA knocked out the Euro champions by scoring goal in each half to face either Brazil or RSA in the finals.

Tim Howard after the Spain game - "We are scratching our heads just like you guys are but it goes to show what hard work and commitment to each other can bring. Football is a funny thing. Any time you come away with a shock win you need to take your chances in front of goal and we defended like bandits. We rode our luck today." :cantstop: