'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket'

'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket' Print Email To Editor Reuters Posted online: Friday, April 06, 2007 at 1943 hours IST Karachi, April 6: Pakistan's media manager at the World Cup told an inquiry committee on Friday that there had been more focus on religion than cricket in the team. The performance evaluation committee including three former Test players and administrators has been constituted by the Pakistan Cricket Board to look into their first-round exit from the World Cup. "I told the committee that the players were not focussed on cricket in the World Cup. They were more into religion," Pervez Mir, a former Pakistan player, said. Mir said he was disturbed to see focus on cricket missing in the team in such an important tournament. "I told the committee that Pakistani players, rather than pray privately, tried to make it a public spectacle," he said. RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES Mir said he had told the committee of incidents to highlight his point and added that some players, led by captain Inzamam-ul-Haq, even made it a point to pray in the galley of aircrafts on flights rather than privately in their seats. Inzamam, who stepped down as captain and retired from ODIs after the World Cup, had been criticised for using the team platform for religious activities. Pakistan's late coach Bob Woolmer had also complained to the board he found it frustrating to see the players taking part in religious activities after matches when he wanted to discuss cricket with them. A member of the committee. which has to give its report in 30 days, said Mir's statement was disturbing. Saleem Altaf, a senior board official too, said the committee would also be calling former chairmen of the board Tauqir Zia and Shaharyar Khan next week.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: 'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket' well pakistani player are not doing anythign different.. i have seen enough buy roads getting jamed ith queues after queues of egotistic folks putting a fine show....... kahte hain public display se shabab milata hai ... wonder how it remains a private relationasip with god in this case.. not complainingthough whatever makes them fail, they sud hang on to it :wtg:

Re: 'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket' Why is this sudden religious fervour gripping the pak team ?? through whole of the 90's and early 2000's things were normal. Then saeed anwar grew beard and after that its literaally been a procession..

Re: 'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket'

Why is this sudden religious fervour gripping the pak team ?? through whole of the 90's and early 2000's things were normal. Then saeed anwar grew beard and after that its literaally been a procession..
yea.. after anwar it was inzi, saqlain, mushtaq ahmed, yousuf, etc etc
Guest dada_rocks

Re: 'Pak more focussed on religion than cricket' Bhai log ya to mera sense of humour screwed hai ya aap logon ka.. when I try to make people laugh nobody laughs but when I am just being serious git, it turns out funny..