Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing

ask4me

Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing NEW DELHI, April 28: An alleged contract between Sourav Ganguly and an international sports gear manufacturer linking payment to the former cricket captain to the time he spent on the crease has spurred the BCCI to scan the endorsement contracts of all members of the squad. Ganguly's alleged contract, said sources, figured in the April 6 meeting of BCCI office-bearers in Mumbai. An office-bearer raised the issue. Board boss Sharad Pawar also made a reference to such a contract, though he didn't name the player, in his interview on Friday. Ganguly, though in good form, scored 66 off 122 balls against Bangladesh, and that set tongues wagging. In fact, there was a buzz about this alleged contract more than a month ago when sources close to Sourav had clarified that there was no such clause in his contract. Instead, there was a clause of higher payment on better performance and this didn't go against team goals. The cricket board has started scanning the contracts of players after getting information that Sourav Ganguly allegedly has a contract with a company that links payment to the time spent by the former captain at the crease. Though BCCI officials have decided to look at all the endorsement contracts of members of the team, it is acknowledged that nothing might come of the exercise. "We are not going to get to see any such contract, for what would be submitted to the board would be cleaned of clauses such as this," a BCCI official told TOI . The controversy involving Ganguly is part of a wider debate raging in the cricket circles over endorsements impacting the performance of the players. With the perception that commercial tie-ups were distracting the players, the board seems to have come around to capping the number of endorsements per player at six. The dominant view is that while three could be allowed for cricketing gear ? shoe, bat, and shirt ? the cricketer could also endorse three more products. from TOI news story

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing Of course. This is the board officials passing the buck and seriously looking for a scapegoat which they are unable to find because of lack of talent in India, because of no previous plan of grooming a VC and because Chappell jumped before board could do anything. Didn't you read this:

Though BCCI officials have decided to look at all the endorsement contracts of members of the team, it is acknowledged that nothing might come of the exercise. "We are not going to get to see any such contract, for what would be submitted to the board would be cleaned of clauses such as this," a BCCI official told TOI .
Ha!! ..and some people are getting fooled by the the board is saying!!?? :eek: The board should look at itself in the mirror first and then should comment on ANYONE!!

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing Even if there are no such clause currently, it is good for the board to ensure that there are none going forward. And given our players' hunger for money, I wouldn't rule out them signing such contracts.

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing So players are hungry for money? Why should they not be---any reasons? Everyone knows that id performance drops, the player will be dropped from the ad too. Then? And what is board? A bunch of saints who NEVER think about money? Wake up for God's sake!

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing some other unproved and unaccounted for accusations against the same player in recent months by the banias in BCCI and their paid dobermans:- 1. That he is a Cancer inside the team. 2. That he fakes injury. 3. That he is responsible for nepotism and groupism. Unproved, therefore must be true. Case closed! Accused declared a convict and banished!

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing I have learnt since the Woolmer's death a lot of media reports are just speculations. How the heck did this reporter get hold of Ganguly's contract in the first place? I'm sure it will be privy to the agency and the player. Even if the BCCI sought the agency won't really dilute the confidential contract IMO. Always look out for the "An alleged contract" in the report, this report is just to draw attention of the readers.

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing

So players are hungry for money? Why should they not be---any reasons? Everyone knows that id performance drops, the player will be dropped from the ad too. Then? And what is board? A bunch of saints who NEVER think about money? Wake up for God's sake!
May be you stay up all night (depending on the timezone) to watch Sharad Pawar and co. have a session of paan. OTH, it is the players whom I watch and whom I am concerned about and they are the ones who just dished out a performance to remember for me in the world cup.

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing Such a contract would make sense for someone like Viru...eh? and btw more time spent at the crease usually means better performance... I thought the BCCI itself was FOR performance based contracts... WHAT A FACKING JOKE this alleged article is...

Only the worst kind of human being can stoop to batting slowly for money! I say if any player is exhibiting unnatural behavoir' date=' throw him out before he can say 'sponsor'.[/quote'] Karina, I'm sure there is no such clause there and players only play for the nation. We're doing a huuuuuuge dis-service to them by even thinking that they can stoop so low. It is BCCI deflecting the blame from its own head and acting to please general/common public thinking that players played badly because they were doing more ads! No common cricket fan is willing to go inside and see how these players reach that level and what sacrifices they have to do to stay there!! Extremely disappointing!!

Re: Sourav's ad contract has Board buzzing NEW DELHI: The Indian cricket Board on Sunday gave a clean chit to Sourav Ganguly who had himself offered to show his endorsement contract papers to BCCI amidst media reports that the deal contained a clause which provided financial incentives for more time spent at the crease. The BCCI went through Ganguly's endorsement documents and found nothing objectionable, BCCI Vice-President Rajeev Shukla said. "Reports of the clause which talked about more incentives for time spent at the crease are baseless and unfounded. There is nothing objectionable," Shukla said. BCCI President Sharad Pawar had stirred a hornet's nest two days ago by telling a news channel he had received complaints that a player's contract had a clause which calculated his earnings based on the time spent at the crease. A newspaper report on Sunday said that Pawar was hinting at Ganguly's contract. "Sourav contacted the BCCI headquarters about these reports mentioning his name into the controversy and offered to show the contract papers," Shukla said. "On behalf of Pawar, I went through his contract paper and after that I am of the view that no such clause exist. In fact, the BCCI President wanted to go through the process so that Ganguly's name is cleared," he said. Shukla also said that Pawar had not taken the name of any player in his interview and was only referring to some "allegation." "Sections of media had reported that BCCI President Sharad Pawar was hinting at Sourav Ganguly on his contract with Puma in course of his interview with the TV channel," Shukla said. "Pawar did not take any name and there was no aspersion on any individual. He had only referred to some allegation and had emphasised the need to find the truth," he said.

BCCI President Sharad Pawar had stirred a hornet's nest two days ago by telling a news channel he had received complaints that a player's contract had a clause which calculated his earnings based on the time spent at the crease.
will Sharad Pawar come out in open and will he have guts to name the player whose contract he was talking about or was he just groping in dark? Disgraceful for the President of the board to stoop so low!!! :mad:

Only the worst kind of human being can stoop to batting slowly for money! I say if any player is exhibiting unnatural behavoir' date=' throw him out before he can say 'sponsor'.[/quote'] Karina, I'm sure there is no such clause there and players only play for the nation. We're doing a huuuuuuge dis-service to them by even thinking that they can stoop so low. It is BCCI deflecting the blame from its own head and acting to please general/common public thinking that players played badly because they were doing more ads! No common cricket fan is willing to go inside and see how these players reach that level and what sacrifices they have to do to stay there!! Extremely disappointing!!
I agree with you, but then why do companies have such a clause in the first place? Don't they know their player, his integrity? Makes you wonder... Let's say there is such a clause. I'm not saying Saurav plays slow every time, but lets say in that match against BD he sees the batting collapse, and he thinks, might as well make my sponsors happy instead of following the pack. Hmm?