Men/Women who earned your respect

head coach

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect I posted this on a similar thread by Lurker a while ago. kpsg.jpg My favourite Indian? KPS Gill, Chief of Punjab Police in the early 90s. The man's iron will and uncompromising courage broke the back of terrorism in Punjab. It is fair to say that Sikh insurgency, in the wake of Operation Bluestar, represented the greatest threat to India's national security in its history. It's not as if India hadn't had to contend with dissent before. Two of those groups, the Naxals in Bengal and Kerala in the 70s, and the tribesmen in Assam in the 80s and 90s, were particularly fierce and persevering. But they were not a patch on the Punjabis. Not even close. The raid of the golden temple started a chain of events that is quite unparalleled in India's chronicles. Not only did Indira pay with her life, it alienated the common Sikh on the streets and Gudwaras. Shocking, because the Sikhs had always been India's strength. They counted themselves among her greatest patriots and had a disproportionately high representation in the armed forces. Operation Bluestar changed all that. The common man in Punjab felt violated, and the anger and resentment generated a movement that left the country stricken with its speed and utter, unbridled violence. There was a time in the early 1990s when the judiciary in Punjab was completely paralysed with fear. Multiple murderers would walk into the home of high court judges and get bail orders signed with complete impunity. It was mayhem. Terror ruled. Enter KPS Gill. Fresh from an assignment in Assam, he took over from the redoubtable Julio Ribeiro, who had started the process of claiming back the initiative from the terrorists with the blessings of Chief Minister Beant Singh, although the latter was another who had to pay for his courage with his life. But Gill took matters to another plane. He recognized pretty early that if you wanted to best the terrorists, you had to use their own methods, Strict adherence to the rule of law was not going to work. He gave his men carte blanche to go out and nail the perpetrators. Nobody was to be spared, no means considered too illicit. The terrorists were hounded like dogs. Killed in encounters in Amritsar and Taran Taran, pursued across the length and breadth of India into the hotel rooms of Calcutta and shot in their beds, their money flow from the Khalistan sympathizers in Pakistan and UK cut off...it was a single minded campaign that struck terror into the hearts of men who had practiced it themselves with impunity for the best part of a decade. Gill stopped them in their tracks and restored India's peace. Of course, he has his faults. The biggest blot on his career was the police execution of human rights activist Jaswant Singh Khalra, who was picked up from his home, shot dead, and his body dumped in a canal because he was thought to be a terrorist sympathizer. Later, Gill was accused of having fondled senior IAS officer Rupan Deol Bajaj, and convicted of that offence. He also presided over the shambles that Indian hockey has become. But nothing can take away from what he achieved in Punjab. He stood tall in the face of terrorism and showed its practitioners that he was meaner, stronger and braver than them. They couldn't stare the man down. For that feat alone, KPS Gill remains my favourite Indian.

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect

Lurker, Irfan & Tabu - How did they gain your respect? Is it for their acting skills or is it for any specific movie?
HC, Irfan and Tabu are both fantastic actors and for whatever its worth I would say that Tabu is one actress that can match any major actress of the world today and Irfan is more than capable of doing the same. I have been a Tabu fan ever since the days of Maachis and she is one heroine that can push me to go watch a movie if she starred in it. The combination of Irfan and Tabu was a cracker indeed in Maqbool. Matter of fact today's Hindi industry is bristling with a load of talents that I have great respect for. People like Vishal Bhardwaj(Omkara,Maqbool), Anurag Kashyap(Satya, Black Friday), Konkana Sen Sharma(Mr& Mrs Iyer), Manoj Bajpayeem, Kay Kay Memon, Shiny Ahuja, Rajpal Yadav etc. It remains to be seen if these people make it to the highest rosters of Hindi industry or is that solely reserved for the Khaandani Hrithiks and Abhisheks? xx PS: Am also a fan of this guy(Prasoon Joshi) 15film2.jpg Ever since he wrote kuchh kar guzarne ko khoon chala khoon chala aankhon ke sheeshe mein utarne ko khoon chala

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect 150px-Subhas_Bose.jpg I rate him ahead of Gandhi Ji and vivekananda_centenary_color_poster_for_thumbnail.JPG always admired both the leaders... and both occupy very prominent place in my Bedroom walls... i had these two greats as avatars at bimaro wali forums par... will use here again... NoBody else is allowed to use these people as avatars ....its patented by me :hic: among the recent ones.... 1. The Rahul Dravid 2. T.N.Sheshan 3. Leander Paes 4. Kiran Bedi

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect Vivekananda fascinates me. Can somebody write an article about his life without using jargon? What did the man think? What made him tick? Why do so many people find him inspirational? Can a case be made that it's a case of us SKCs revering him because he was the only prominent Indian religious leader of that era to have spoken at the Chicago conference and wowed the audience?

Lurker, Irfan & Tabu - How did they gain your respect? Is it for their acting skills or is it for any specific movie?
HC, Irfan and Tabu are both fantastic actors and for whatever its worth I would say that Tabu is one actress that can match any major actress of the world today and Irfan is more than capable of doing the same. I have been a Tabu fan ever since the days of Maachis and she is one heroine that can push me to go watch a movie if she starred in it. The combination of Irfan and Tabu was a cracker indeed in Maqbool.
Tabu is awesome talent and naturally beautiful , I must add.

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect I dont know whether T N Seshan qualifies for this list: Seshan suffered from an attitude problem. As a bureaucrat, he probably rarely had his way. He perhaps decided to square up for the repressed life of a bureaucrat by becoming a megalomaniacal CEC. He did some good things like trying to curb election expenditure, getting after politicians who faked residency certificates to contest for Rajya Sabha seats, and punishing bureaucrats ducking out of election duty. But he overdid the one-man-saviour bit.

Vallabh Bhai Patel Gen Sam ManeckShaw Gen Kariappa
Gen Kariappa , Coorg Special. :wtg: BTW , Coorg women are so hot ! :lol:
Yes Saar :wtg: Other Kannada Hero's Rani Chennama ... the first woman to stand up to the English Vishweshwaraiah Dr. Rajkumar Chandra,AK,Vishy,Dravid,Javagal And from the old times : Chhatrapati Shivaji
Very Good list Bheem, It's a pity that Chennamma of kittur doesn't get the attention of Jhansi ki Rani. Vishweshwaraiah is another icon all Indians should be proud of .

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect What hour of the morning did Vivekananda wake up? How hard did he work? Did he lead a spartan life? Did he succumb to the charms of his female admirers? Did he hold his own under the glare of attention from cynics and critics? Should I feel inspired? Somebody please tell me.

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect In no specific order : robhewitt.jpg Robert Hewitt's : The man that was Lost At Sea for full 4 days and survived. I watched this program on Inside NZ and cannot stop appreciating the gut, determination and resolute he showed during these 4 days. Don't look at the face and frown by the way. That picture was taken about a week later after he was rescued from sea after 3 nights and 4 days lost in the sea. Read more about him http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10367503 sachin-1.jpg A Cricketer or a freak, one off talent and modesty is his virtue. The one and the only "Sachin Tendulkar". It is difficult for anyone to get past this man in terms of cricketing talent and level headedness. Truly a man you would look up for inspiration. intro_eroberung3_01.jpg Edmund Hillary : One of the first two men to conquer Mount Everest way bak in 1953. Stuff of true heroes. I don't need to say anything more as each one of us know how hard it was those days to get to the summit. sukhi_turner.jpg Sukhinder (Sukhi) Turner, coming from India made a career in politics and now is a prominent business woman owns "The Little India" chain of hotels. Sukhi married the famous NZ cricketer Glenn Turner in the 70s and migrated to NZ after her marriage. Sukhinder (Sukhi) Turner, DCNZM (born 1952) was the Mayor of Dunedin, New Zealand, from 1995 until her retirement from the position in 2004. She was notable as the first Green Party mayor in New Zealand. She was also regarded by some as New Zealand's most prominent politician from the country's Indian community. Turner was born in Ludhiana, the largest city in the Indian state of Punjab. Her birth name was Sukhinder Kaur Gill. She follows the Sikh religion. She attended university in the United States, gaining qualifications in history and political science. She moved to New Zealand after marrying Glenn Turner, a prominent New Zealand cricket player, in July 1973. Sukhi and Glenn Turner settled in Dunedin in 1982. They have two children. Turner took part in a wide range of community work, focusing particularly on education. She took an active role in school committees and associations, and in 1992, successfully stood for election to the Dunedin City Council. After a three year term on the Council, Turner chose to contest the mayoralty, challenging a long-serving incumbent. She was successful, and was subsequently re-elected twice. Turner announced that she would retire from the position in October 2004, when her third term expired. She was replaced by Peter Chin. In early 2004, Turner was among the recipients of the Pravasi Bharatiya Samman, an award given by the Indian government to honour those who have made a significant contribution to Indian immigrant communities in other countries. mother_theresa_big.jpggandhi.GIF

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect Vallabh Bhai Patel Netaji Vivekanad Ramkrishna Paramhans Homi Bhabha Ramanujam Vishwanatahan Anand P C Mahalonabis Vikram Sarabhai Amitabh Bachchan Satish Dhawan J C Bose Rabindranath Tagore S. Chandrashekhar

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Men/Women who earned your respect Honestly I thought it was supposed to be indian only....of course there are non-indians too in the list To start with Buddha