Asian Games - Guangzhou - Nov 12-28 2010

Sir john

volleyball team did unthinkable, they could have wrapped in 4th set, The moment it went to 5th set I thought we lost it. But they somehow managed it. My favorite result too. Willing be watching Semis.
our Volleyball federation is the best sporting board in our country imho . This result is long due & it was high time our senior team caught up with rest of the top nations . we are among the 6-7 at the junior level . it was 2005 u-19 or youth WC IIRC , we beat Brazil and very other top teams in the league phase quite convincingly ....we played Brazil in the final again & lost to them in a close match ..apparently the federation used a strange strategy of picking players , the first criteria was height & skills wer secondary & that worked .. a lot of the current national players from the same youth team .

I think the Boxing Fed has been doing things like giving out central contracts. They have also been great at getting sponsorships for their boxers and attracting some of the best coaching talent to India. A huge kudos to the current admin of the boxing fed. We need to target high medal yielding sports and make sure we get our talent up to spec. Shooters have been a big let down. They should have a few golds. I guess due to CWG they're off color. Most have done great throughout the season. We do have a few world champs in the shooting team. Our weightlifters have been a big let down as well. But I suppose, given the competition, they didn't have much of a chance. We should have a couple of medals in Chess - but Anand and Humpi pulled out. They would have been sure shots to win medals. I'm sure they'll do well at the Olympics. Boxing and Shooting (hopefully wrestling) will be India's big hopes at the Olympics. We really need to improve at Track & Field and Swimming to make any impact on the medals tally in multi-sports events like this. But T&F and Swimming need to be overhauled completely and we can't expect anything from them until perhaps the 20s (if we start now). I'm quite disappointed with our tally position, especially coming off the high of CWG - but I suppose it's good to come down to earth again.
I dont understand how is this performance such a let down ? even in CWG we won few more gold medals than previous editions ...& there is every chance we will do better than last Asian games here

I dont understand how is this performance such a let down ? even in CWG we won few more gold medals than previous editions ...& there is every chance we will do better than last Asian games here
We won double the number of medals we had won in the edition before. 101 medals is quite a huge jump over a max of 69 medals (at Manchester in 02). India won 12 more golds that it had ever won before... I would hardly call that a few more! The shooters were in amazing form. If you look at most of the scores of our shooters here, you'll notice that almost all of them are shooting well below what they shot during the CWG and the world championships before that. Our top shooters are completely off-color. Even at the Asian games, we won 50+ medals in the 06 edition - mostly thanks to shooting (14 medals incl 3 gold vs 6 medals with no golds here). There are only 6 events left in shooting. I highly doubt we will medal in all of them. I will be very surprised if we reach anywhere close to 50 medals here.

We won double the number of medals we had won in the edition before. 101 medals is quite a huge jump over a max of 69 medals (at Manchester in 02). India won 12 more golds that it had ever won before... I would hardly call that a few more! The shooters were in amazing form. If you look at most of the scores of our shooters here, you'll notice that almost all of them are shooting well below what they shot during the CWG and the world championships before that. Our top shooters are completely off-color. Even at the Asian games, we won 50+ medals in the 06 edition - mostly thanks to shooting (14 medals incl 3 gold vs 6 medals with no golds here). There are only 6 events left in shooting. I highly doubt we will medal in all of them. I will be very surprised if we reach anywhere close to 50 medals here.
we hosted CWG , I hope you know the difference that can make .

Dude ... in the 2010 WC in Munich Gagan Narang and Tejaswini Sawant won golds. They have both not lived upto expectations here. Only China and SKorea had more medals in the World Championships... Here a whole host of countries have beaten our guys. Our shooters have been disappointing in this edition. Understandable considering that did really well in the CWG just a month back but disappointing nonetheless..