Sachin's centuries and India's defeats.

Good post ! You brought out another thing that was at the back of my mind ; most of those 100s are against not so strong teams and when he DOES score against the big teams its usually NOT in a crunch situation, which may not be reflected in mere stats !
Yeah he's a choking selfish midget from Mumbai who never performs under pressure unlike best player of pace Inzamam blah blah
In last five years' date=' india have won only 5 times in the 10 centuries that sachin has scored( against top teams).[/size'] 10 Tons: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=start;runsmin1=100;runsval1=runs;spanmin1=10+Jan+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=match 5 wins: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=start;result=1;runsmin1=100;runsval1=runs;spanmin1=10+Jan+2006;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=match Indias Win percentage against top teams in last 5 years in 56.X%. http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=won;result=1;result=2;result=3;spanmin1=05+Jan+2006;spanval1=span;team=6;template=results;type=team Not a good Stat for a fan to feel confident about team's chances when Sachin scores a ton...
What this stat tells me is that either the rest of batsmen didn't provide enough support to him or the bowlers didn't do their part in winning the game. You can't expect more from an opener than getting a 100. India should look at the reasons why they can't win when their opener has scored 100s and not blame the opener for scoring a 100 in a losing cause.
Simple fact is that he is capable of scoring hundreds even in conditions where others fail. This gives the impression that a lot of his runs are in losses' date= which is factually correct but misses the crux of the situation.
Not necessary (in the recent times) 175 Vs Aust and last 2 Tons were in perfect batting conditions!!
Not necessary (in the recent times) 175 Vs Aust and last 2 Tons were in perfect batting conditions!!
and even in those perfect batting conditions others were not able to make runs or at least support the one man who was making runs - for that also you blame not the others but the person who has made a 100.
What this stat tells me is that either the rest of batsmen didn't provide enough support to him or the bowlers didn't do their part in winning the game. You can't expect more from an opener than getting a 100. India should look at the reasons why they can't win when their opener has scored 100s and not blame the opener for scoring a 100 in a losing cause.
:mad: I am talking purely in terms of probability of Sachin scoring a ton and India winning!!!!!! :mad: same for S=D

I think this entire discussion reflects a rather poor understanding of what the game of cricket is about. It is a team game with 11 players, each with a role to play. If EACH of Sachin's hundreds had resulted in a win for India, I would still not have considered his so-called 100% record as the reason for India's win. If NONE of Sachin's hundreds had resulted in a win for India, I would not have considered his hundreds to be any less valuable than contributing to his team's performance. Purely because drawing a correlation between a hundred and a win is rubbish IMO. If bowlers screw up, how is Sachin's hundred to be blamed for the loss? Conversely if Sachin gets a hundred but the bowlers turn up an amazing match-winning performance, surely they deserve the credit more than Sachin on that given day, purely looking at relative performances? And the comment that Sachin seems to play for himself and not for his team is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard. Every single team-mate acknowledges the value Sachin brings to the team, not just with his runs but with his sheer presence and encouragement for the other team members. Like asterix has said, yesterday it was amazing to see Sachin's commitment in the field, even at the age of 37. One can say it is to be expected but it is still something to be admired. I am no blind worshipper of Sachin but I do think these constant attacks on him about his centuries not translating to wins are just rubbish. Either people are just trolling or they show a huge lack of understanding of the game.

I think this entire discussion reflects a rather poor understanding of what the game of cricket is about. It is a team game with 11 players, each with a role to play. If EACH of Sachin's hundreds had resulted in a win for India, I would still not have considered his so-called 100% record as the reason for India's win. If NONE of Sachin's hundreds had resulted in a win for India, I would not have considered his hundreds to be any less valuable than contributing to his team's performance. Purely because drawing a correlation between a hundred and a win is rubbish IMO. If bowlers screw up, how is Sachin's hundred to be blamed for the loss? Conversely if Sachin gets a hundred but the bowlers turn up an amazing match-winning performance, surely they deserve the credit more than Sachin on that given day, purely looking at relative performances? And the comment that Sachin seems to play for himself and not for his team is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever heard. Every single team-mate acknowledges the value Sachin brings to the team, not just with his runs but with his sheer presence and encouragement for the other team members. Like asterix has said, yesterday it was amazing to see Sachin's commitment in the field, even at the age of 37. One can say it is to be expected but it is still something to be admired. I am no blind worshipper of Sachin but I do think these constant attacks on him about his centuries not translating to wins are just rubbish. Either people are just trolling or they show a huge lack of understanding of the game.
sensible post :nice:
Great post. Sums it up perfectly :two_thumbs_up:
:mad: I am talking purely in terms of probability of Sachin scoring a ton and India winning!!!!!! :mad: same for S=D
Probability cannot be calculated for data that has no correlation. For probability, one event has to be the cause and another the effect. Though an individual's hundred furthers the team's cause, it has no correlation with a victory since a hundred can neither guarantee a superb bowling performance nor can it stop similar performances by opposition batsman..

Ab toh Goddy haters ka naya funda hai - agar kisi aur batsman ne 100 mara (Yuvi or Viru or Kohli or Gauti etc) aur India haar gayi toh woh bechaara toh bahut achcha khela aur usne toh apni taraf se pura effort kara lekin team ke baaki members achcha nahi khele isliye India haar gayi...............lekin agar Goddy ne 100 mara aur India haari toh galti sirf ek aadmi ki jisne run banaye kyonki jab usne 100 mara toh India haar gayi :hysterical: :hysterical: