Has any bowler ever bowled SIX byes in one delivery?

Magneto

Apparently, a British bowler named Charles Kortright had bowled 'six' byes when his bouncer went over the wicket-keeper's head and only bounced after it had crossed the boundary. Did Wes Hall ever bowl a bouncer that cleared the ropes in one go? Anyone knows any details about a similar incident in international cricket?

Very much possible. Batsman doesn't get bat to the ball and wk doesn't gather cleanly. Batsmen run 2 and the overthrow while the batsmen are taking the 2nd run goes to the boundary. End result: 6 byes. I will actually be surprised if such a scenario hasn't happened so far.
But I didn't mean all that - I simply meant bowling a bouncer that would fly above the WK's head and cross the ropes directly.
But I didn't mean all that - I simply meant bowling a bouncer that would fly above the WK's head and cross the ropes directly.
But shouldn't that be 4 byes? 6 runs are only awarded in case the ball is hit by the batsman and carries over the ropes. In case the batsman doesn't hit the ball with the bat, shouldn't it be 4 byes irrespective whether the ball bounced or not?
But shouldn't that be 4 byes? 6 runs are only awarded in case the ball is hit by the batsman and carries over the ropes. In case the batsman doesn't hit the ball with the bat' date=' shouldn't it be 4 byes irrespective whether the ball bounced or not?[/quote'] Yes, you are technically correct. It would be four byes only. But my question is not about the byes :wall: - It's whether anyone has bowled such a bouncer? :wall: :wall:
Yes, you are technically correct. It would be four byes only. But my question is not about the byes :wall: - It's whether anyone has bowled such a bouncer? :wall: :wall:
Not sure how you can find that :dontknow: We don't have footage of earlier days and going by the scorecard it will only show up as 4 byes even if it did happen. IMO it can happen if an express bowler like Steyn hits a crack on the pitch and the ball takes off to land over the boundary. Haven't seen it though nor recall anything like it happening.
Not sure how you can find that :dontknow: We don't have footage of earlier days and going by the scorecard it will only show up as 4 byes even if it did happen. IMO it can happen if an express bowler like Steyn hits a crack on the pitch and the ball takes off to land over the boundary. Haven't seen it though nor recall anything like it happening.
Cricket folklore/tales mainly. Like the Charles Kortright story.

Well I googled about it and looks like Jeff Thomson, Alf Gover, Kortwright, Frank Tyson and Roy Gilchrist may have bowled such a delivery. Here are the links... http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/8442-6-byes-2.html http://www.crichotline.com/jeff-thomson-one-of-the-fastest-bowlers-ever/ However as I said earlier such a delivery would result in 4 byes and not 6...

From Bill Frindall's column on the BBC Sport site: "The answer is none, unless they involved overthrows. Many considered [Charles]Kortright (no W) the fastest bowler ever to appear in county cricket (1894-1907) and he may well have bowled a bouncer that cleared the rope. However, a ball which pitches and carries the boundary without bouncing or being intercepted by the batsman scores FOUR byes - or, more appropriately as it probably passed the batsman well clear of his reach, four WIDES. Only HITS that clear the boundary can score six. In 1967 I set a question for the BBC Radio quiz show, Sporting Chance which caused a certain amount of havoc because it had to be taken out of the recording and an alternative substituted: How does an umpire signal six byes? My answer was with three arms. Don Mosey was very upset with me!" However, some other evidence I've found suggests Essex man Kortright bowled a beamer that didn't bounce at all on the way out of the ground...
However as I said earlier such a delivery would result in 4 byes and not 6...
Yes, but it is not as simple as that. The clause that six runs are for *hits* is a 20th century addition to the laws. The Kortright story happened in 1893. So six byes seems possible in that age - at least the umpire could have used his discretion. But, till 1910, to score a six it was not sufficient to hit the ball over the boundary. You had to hit the ball out of the ground. If you merely crossed the boundary, you may get a four or five (the latter was the rule in Australia for some time). So could Kortright have actually managed to bounce it out of the ground ? We can only guess that he couldn't.