Symonds seen as spin twin

King

AUSTRALIA has moved into the post-Shane Warne era by ordering explosive all rounder Andrew Symonds to shelve his medium pace and focus on spin. More... Symonds seen as spin twin By Ben Dorries August 15, 2007 AUSTRALIA has moved into the post-Shane Warne era by ordering explosive all rounder Andrew Symonds to shelve his medium pace and focus on spin. Symonds revealed yesterday he had been advised by selectors to concentrate on practising his off spin with a view to becoming a spinning sidekick for Stuart MacGill in the Test side this summer. MacGill is first in line to fill the biggest boots in world cricket - those of world record Test wicket-taker Warne - and Australia wants to lighten his load by having Symonds as a spin-bowling foil. "That was mentioned to me, that I've got to concentrate a bit on spin," Symonds said. "I think that is just covering all bases. We have tours to India and other places like that coming up." Symonds doesn't want to ditch his canny medium-pace swingers altogether - he may unveil them when conditions suit or when Australia plays on a wicket conducive to pace. He hasn't has any specific spin coaching this winter but plans to consult some of Australia's leading spin minds, like he did in a masterclass with former Test off spinner Greg Matthews two years ago. "I will tap into whoever I can," Symonds said. "I haven't talked to Stuey (MacGill) in the last few months but I'm sure we will have a chat about things." Most of Symonds's 11 Test wickets have been taken with medium pace but his likely shift to a more permanent spin role shows Australia's plans for life without Warne have progressed quickly behind the scenes.

Symonds can try his best but not a chance in the world he will be able to pick wickets in test cricket with spin bowling :D Symonds is a very highly over rated test cricketer. He could even front up as a utility batsman in test cricket but him making it big as a spinner is only wishful thinking. It's like asking Ponting to take up medium pace so that he can fill in for McGrath :hysterical:

but him making it big as a spinner is only wishful thinking. It's like asking Ponting to take up medium pace so that he can fill in for McGrath :hysterical:
There's really no question of him 'making it big' as a Test spinner. He will simply be asked to spin a few the other way in support of Stuart MacGill when conditions suit.

Yes. This is the beginning of the end , a glorious chapter of domination in world cricket. We shall all see what Australia can come up with , without two of its champion bowlers. Domination by a single player/team is not good for any sport. What we need is exciting rivalries. Australia's fall will mark the rise of many more cricketing powers.

i dont think gilchrist has more than a year to come.... same goes for haydos.... Hussy is like Graeme smith and Strauss who started off in a hurry... tht leave punter as the only great player in their lineup in batting.... imagine a bowling lineup spearheaded bby a guy who averages 32 with the ball while generously chucking... tht is some bowling depth there....

Yes. This is the beginning of the end , a glorious chapter of domination in world cricket. We shall all see what Australia can come up with , without two of its champion bowlers.
As I've said before the Australian winning percentage will go down measurably after McGrath/Warne.
Oh really ? What do you base those statements on ? Hope ? :regular_smile: What say we actually look at some figures ? I use 9 Tests as a yardstick because that's how many Stuart Clark, McGrath's replacement in the attack, has played. Last 9 Tests for Glenn McGrath: 32 wickets @ 29.8 Last 9 Tests for Stuart Clark: 47 wickets @ 17.8 Last 9 Tests for Shane Warne: 46 wickets @ 28.47 Last 9 Tests for Stuart MacGill: 46 wickets @ 21.04 How will Australia be worse off ?
Oh really ? What do you base those statements on ? Hope ? :regular_smile: What say we actually look at some figures ? I use 9 Tests as a yardstick because that's how many Stuart Clark, McGrath's replacement in the attack, has played. Last 9 Tests for Glenn McGrath: 32 wickets @ 29.8 Last 9 Tests for Stuart Clark: 47 wickets @ 17.8 Last 9 Tests for Shane Warne: 46 wickets @ 28.47 Last 9 Tests for Stuart MacGill: 46 wickets @ 21.04 How will Australia be worse off ?
Stuart Clark is 32 yrs old... Lee is 31 yrs old.... Lee averages more than his age.... Clark had good series in australia and south africa.... both bouncy pitches.... 1 test match in bangladesh - total minnows in bangladesh... he averages a whoppin 77.... the same side, similar conditions, Irfan pathan took a 10'fer.... expected better from u there, Donns...

Nope Donny , ofcourse not. I can quote you figures of bowlers who had similar numbers in 9 test matches they played , only to fall away into oblivion later. Try as you might , Australia wont produce another pair bowlers whom , between them , have close to 1300 wickets.That is the key , wicket taking over a long period of time.

Why hollow, gator ? They are actual figures of the two bowlers who retired and the two bowlers who will replace them. Clark and MacGill aren't rookies, mm.

I can quote you figures of bowlers who had similar numbers in 9 test matches they played ' date=' only to fall away into oblivion later.[/quote'] Bowlers ? So do it, mm. At least 2 bowlers who took similar to 47 wickets @ under 18 in their first 9 Tests only to fall away into oblivion.

I'm very skeptical about writing Australia off already. English domestic cricket is ruled by the Aussies and that shows they still have a lot of players that are way better than the rest. Just that they never really had chance to play international cricket because there were already players that were even better than them. I trust Australia has good players in the reserve that can stand up and be noticed in international cricket. It may be impossible to replace the McGrath/Warnie duo but their reserve players are still good enough to keep the Aussies at the top for years to come.

Why hollow, gator ? They are actual figures of the two bowlers who retired and the two bowlers who will replace them.
i didnt say, they were false, dons.... i jus said:
Clark had good series in australia and south africa.... both bouncy pitches.... 1 test match in bangladesh - total minnows in bangladesh... he averages a whoppin 77.... the same side, similar conditions, Irfan pathan took a 10'fer....
throw in a test hat-trick of top 3 batters too.. and we know where pathan is now, right?

Saqlain Mushtaq and Narendra Hirwani are two bowlers who had outstanding starts to their test careers , but later fizzled out Donny. But i hope you get to see my actual point. Its easy to perform in patches , but not so easy to do so over many years. And surely you couldnt say Clark and Mcgill are actual "Replacements" to Mcgrath and Warne. Clark is 32 , how old is Mcgill ? 34 ?

Stuart Clark is 32 yrs old... Lee is 31 yrs old.... Lee averages more than his age.... Clark had good series in australia and south africa.... both bouncy pitches.... 1 test match in bangladesh - total minnows in bangladesh... he averages a whoppin 77.... the same side' date=' similar conditions, Irfan pathan took a 10'fer.... expected better from u there, Donns...[/quote'] Interesting stats that Gator. Clark averages 77 against Bangladesh :confused_smile: