Was dropping sehwag down the order a mistake?

Mandrake

This looks like exactly the kind of pitch Sehwag thrives on...opening with him could have worked here and would have gotten us a big advantage.However,it seems to me that either his own confidence or Dravid's confidence in him is at an all time low and understandably so.Anyway,lets see what sehwag does tomorrow...but in my opinion he should have opened here.

Re: Was dropping sehwag down the order a mistake? Given the benefit of hindsight I say if ever Sehwag should have opened on this tour this was it. I think it was suggested there was fair bit of moisture in the pitch early on. Probably Dravid or Sehwag himself may have felt his best chance of scoring any runs was down the order. BTW Gavaskar was of the opinion Karthik was selected as an opener and Sehwag primarily as a bowler :eew:

Re: Was dropping sehwag down the order a mistake? Maybe they were just trying to be safe. What if Sehwag failed yet again as opener? Then the pressure would have been on the lower and middle order to steady the innings. Kaarthik has shown a lot of heart, but I would still rather have Sehwag pounding away on a patta wicket than DK. In fact, he may just do that now that we started with a good opening partnership and if our middle order just keep accumulating. He will bat without any kind of pressure. That's when he gets scary. :hic: