Sambit Bal the snivelling insect surfaces

Don

Be Fair ^^Com'on Mate Be fair to him. I think its a beautiful write up and as much as I hate to point fingers its better than the flipping star news accusing "kaptaan" and "guru gregg" In fact they openly said that Dravid's performance was the worst of all.... I think the worst was Sehwag, then Tendulkar. :Cry:

Re: Sambit Bal the snivelling insect surfaces nevermind that he was injured.. nevermind that he was given wrongly out.. nevermind that he was among the top run getters.. despite of all that and more, only SRT can pull this kinda criticism and hooplah.. :hail::hail: sambit bal... you better dont go to India, mumbaikars will be waiting dude.. aa koi fatwa nikalo re.. :hic:

Re: Sambit Bal the snivelling insect surfaces

And he seemed to have infected Dravid with his approach, because runs dried up from the other side too. Dravid had scored 36 from 88 balls when Tendulkar came in. He made only 11 from the next 46 and hit no more fours. The fourth wicket stand produced 24 runs in 15 overs, to which Tendulkar contributed 9 in 45 balls. It was worse than tentative and diffident, it was supine and unbecoming. 'He looked like a man weighed down by his own doubts' An hour later Dinesh Karthik, all of 21 years old and only in his 10th Test, showed what intent and confidence, combined with skill, can achieve. He swept Harris from the rough, cut him when he shortened his length, and reverse swept him from outside the legstump. Kallis was cut and flicked off the pads, Steyn was cover-driven and suddenly the demons seemed to have vanished from a wearing pitch. Had the tail-enders stayed with him a bit longer, he looked likely to stretch the Indian lead beyond 250. In Tendulkar's case, it was the opposite. He arrived at the crease at a juncture when the match was on the line, and instead of imposing himself on the proceedings as you would expect of a player of such skill and stature, he let the occasion wear him down. Soon the bowlers acquired such a grip that every run felt like a struggle. Watching it was embarrassing.
I cannot debate what he has written to be honest and am in line with Sambit's thinking. There is only one way you can excuse Tendulkar. That is to believe Tendulkar is mentally not strong as Karthik and does not have as many shots as Karthik to counter this situation. I refuse to believe Tendulkar's batting is inferior to Karthik even though Tendulkar has struggled in the recent times. As for the mental make up goes I think it's a fair point to believe Karthik was more ready for the occassion than Tendulkar. :shrug:

India might still go on to the win the match. But if they don't we know where they let it slip.
Garbage... No critism of Openers, No critism of well set batsmen getting out to lose strokes , No critism of Lakshman, No criticism of Asads goofups.... But no surprises from Sambit Bal...He lives to his reputation.

Re: Sambit Bal the snivelling insect surfaces As I mentioned in another thread, I blame Dravid and Chappell for sending an injured batsman out in the middle at a crucial juncture of the series ahead of batsmen in form like Laxman and Karthik. Tendulkar failed, but it wasn't surprising. He is not the Tendulkar of '98 who could counter back spasms and everything and take the attack to the opposition. The team management and Tendulkar himself must accept that sooner than later that he is a support act in the current batting lineup.

Re: Sambit Bal the snivelling insect surfaces My expectations of Tendulkar was lowered in this inning quite a bit after his recent run. All I wanted was about 40-60 runs which Tendulkar was very much capable of. If I lower my expectations of Tendulkar anymore I won't be rating him any better than a lower order batsman. Unfortunately Tendulkar didn't even match my lowered expectations. I don't know how else to react to be honest. I would like to think I'm one of the biggest Tendulkar fan out there but am just being fair and not blinded. If he was out to a first ball beauty I can understand but he spent over 60 balls and he could well have produced a valuable 30 plus but he faltered :shrug:

Garbage... No critism of Openers, No critism of well set batsmen getting out to lose strokes , No critism of Lakshman, No criticism of Asads goofups.... But no surprises from Sambit Bal...He lives to his reputation.
And what is his reputation may I ask? Sambit Bal is a decent writer. I have followed him since he used to write regularly at Outlook and I am not sure what "reputation" you are talking about. Care to elaborate? As for not writing about openers, VVS, Asad Rauf's goofups etc, you forgot a key thing - this article is about how SRT let the writer(and all of us really) down, not a synopsis on Day 4 of the game. And which right minded Indian fan does not feel the same about SRT's batting today(or yesterday as the case may be). xxx

Tendulkar was injured and was given a wrong decision. That he was sent in at number 5 with the game on line carrying an injury is as much Dravid and Chappell's fault as his. :wall:
Shwetabh. That would make for some ground of argument if he was dismissed first ball. Or if he survived say an over but got out in the next. Basically meaning he was out early on. But if he played for 60 odd deliveries, for an hour and a half, and scored 14 runs, is a cr@p of highest order. Please do mind that these runs did not come against Donald and De Viliers at their prime but an aging Pollock, a rank debutant Harris and an average Kallis. Clearly SRT botched up his game, and India's. By the way all things remaining the same, if you had to make a guess(based on past 2 years or so of his performance) how much do you think a fully fit Sachin would have scored? xxxx

But if he played for 60 odd deliveries, for an hour and a half, and scored 14 runs, is a cr@p of highest order
It wasn't good batting but perhaps that was all he could do being handicapped by injury. It was obvious his feet weren't moving at all throughout the innings.
By the way all things remaining the same, if you had to make a guess(based on past 2 years or so of his performance) how much do you think a fully fit Sachin would have scored?
30-40.

30-40.
We did not miss much then. If a 100% fit Sachin does not score as much as an aging-making-comeback Ganguly(46) and an out-of-form Dravid(47) then surely he should consider calling it a day. By the way your honesty is much appreciated. I would not have been surprised, though certainly disappointed, if a SRT fan would have suggested he would have scored more than 30-40(which is what I would think a 100% fit Sachin would score as well). xxx