Seniors maybe rotated in the forthcoming one-dayers

Ram

Latest news , the BCCI has decided to rotate the 3 seniors for the coming one-dayers , starting from the 4th one-day. Only 2 out of the 3 will play any single match from now. Sachin is thought be the first one to sit-out. I do foresee some problems with it though. IF we start losing regularly , there will be calls like " Whats the point in having such world-class players when the team isnt doing well ?". Sustaining such a policy through continuous defeats will almost be impossible. Youth is the way forward. I dont see why Ganguly would still want to play one-day cricket. If he retires NOW , he can bow out with grace and a head held-high. He must play test matches though. I am not sure about Dravid but positively feel Sachin has another 12-15 months of ODI cricket left in him. http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/27276/big-three-to-be-rested-by-turns-in-odis.html

Why? I supported the calls for his dumping back when he could barely buy a run. He's India's most consistent/highest run scorer this year, in good form and high on confidence coming off previous successes. He may be slow, but nobody else in the side is capable of playing an anchor role in ODIs these days. Dravid's form has been iffy, Tendulkar should just go out and attack because when he's batting as an anchor to build an innings, he doesn't last too long at times. The rest of the batsmen are all natural strokeplayers who should be given license to bat aggressively with a more sedate, stable batsman down the other end. The other thing we keep forgetting: you need people with real mental strength and grit to take on Australia. Ganguly has that. If Gilchrist, Ponting or co. sledge him, he won't complain to the media or get cowed. He'll return it in spades, rile them up and get their blood pressure through the roof instead. The man has guts, cojones, form and runs on his side. Pick him if he's fit.

Latest news , the BCCI has decided to rotate the 3 seniors for the coming one-dayers , starting from the 4th one-day. Only 2 out of the 3 will play any single match from now. Sachin is thought be the first one to sit-out. I do foresee some problems with it though. IF we start losing regularly , there will be calls like " Whats the point in having such world-class players when the team isnt doing well ?". Sustaining such a policy through continuous defeats will almost be impossible. Youth is the way forward. I dont see why Ganguly would still want to play one-day cricket. If he retires NOW , he can bow out with grace and a head held-high. He must play test matches though. I am not sure about Dravid but positively feel Sachin has another 12-15 months of ODI cricket left in him. http://www.cricketnext.com/videos/27276/big-three-to-be-rested-by-turns-in-odis.html
It is strange that madia is reporting it widely now, when this fact was known before the ODI series in England. Didn't we all know before that Sachin didn't want to play each and every ODI now? Vengsarkar had talked about this rotation thing just after announcing the ODI team for England. He had said that more or less every player will be rotated to give him a breather. Sree was rested for ODI series in England. Zaheer was rested was T20 tournament. Now I'm waiting to see when Dhoni, Karthik and RP Singh are rested!

Dravid's one day form has been excellent this year, completely dispelling the myth that he can not score fast. He did not really do anything wrong in the 2nd ODI, and his was the ONLY wicket out of our batsman that I felt was truly unlucky as it was an excellent catch from Johnson. I dont believe Dravid could have played that shot much better.

Why? I supported the calls for his dumping back when he could barely buy a run. He's India's most consistent/highest run scorer this year, in good form and high on confidence coming off previous successes. He may be slow, but nobody else in the side is capable of playing an anchor role in ODIs these days. Dravid's form has been iffy, Tendulkar should just go out and attack because when he's batting as an anchor to build an innings, he doesn't last too long at times. The rest of the batsmen are all natural strokeplayers who should be given license to bat aggressively with a more sedate, stable batsman down the other end. The other thing we keep forgetting: you need people with real mental strength and grit to take on Australia. Ganguly has that. If Gilchrist, Ponting or co. sledge him, he won't complain to the media or get cowed. He'll return it in spades, rile them up and get their blood pressure through the roof instead. The man has guts, cojones, form and runs on his side. Pick him if he's fit.
We need an anchor to open the innings with powerplay on? Is that how desperate our country is? Add to it that this guy is a poor runner between wickets and a poor fielder, makes him a totally unfit ODI player, IMO.
Winds of change IN AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW, SELECTION COMMITTEE CHAIRMAN DILIP VENGSARKAR GETS CANDID ABOUT ZONAL SELECTION & THE PRESSURES OF BEING INDIA CAPTAIN ... G Krishnan, Hindustan Times Mumbai, October 04, 2007 First Published: 00:21 IST(4/10/2007) Last Updated: 04:14 IST(4/10/2007) DropShadow_BotLeft.gifDropShadow_BotRight.gif Dilip Vengsarkar, in a very eventful first year as chairman of the selection committee, has had much to do. In the last selection committee meeting of his first year at the job, Vengsarkar had to pick up two teams last Thursday — Mumbai and Rest of India for the Irani Cup. "I pick up the best teams," Vengsarkar says in a matter of fact manner, seemingly not harried by the demands of the job. "I have been selecting teams for a decade and a half. It is nothing new." As he starts his second year in office, Vengsarkar says he believes India have a great chance to topple the Australians on their own soil later this season. Excerpts from an exclusive interview: How did your first year in office go? Well, it was rather satisfactory because, apart from the early exit from the World Cup, the team did reasonably well, winning a Test for the first time in South Africa. It was a great opportunity to win the series. At home before the World Cup, India won the ODIs against the West Indies and Sri Lanka. Then, of course, India beat South Africa in Ireland and won the Test series in England. The T20 World Cup win was the icing on the cake. There is, however, a tough series in the offing against Australia. I strongly feel that this team has the best chance to beat Australia in Australia. Your panel brought back Sourav Ganguly for South Africa. How tough was the decision? There has to be a good blend of youth and experience in the team. In the Tests, temperament plays a major role. Though Sourav and Zaheer (Khan) were not in the best of forms when selected, as selectors, it was important for us to back our gut feeling. Many advised me to look ahead, but we believed in Sourav and Zaheer and I'm glad they delivered, consistently. Munaf Patel, with his recurring injuries, continues to be an enigma. How do you handle players like Munaf? Munaf has the potential to become the front-line bowler for India. However, he must realise that to bowl consistently fast match after match, he must be extremely fit. He just cannot be a line and length bowler, not in Test cricket. At the highest level, you are rated only for your consistency. Period. He has to put in a lot of hard work if he has to make a comeback. However, all is not lost — he can make a comeback if he shows form and fitness. What made you name MS Dhoni as Rahul Dravid's deputy for the ODIs in the UK? What gave the selectors the belief that he could be a future India captain? I have been watching Dhoni from close quarters for quite some time now. I found him to be a very good student of the game. He is extremely focussed, down to earth and very disciplined. He is modest about his achievements and possesses good man-management skills. He has all the qualities of a good captain. You yourself have captained India. What sort of pressures play on a captain's mind? There is always pressure on the captain. You have to think of so many things besides your own game. The captain has to perform all the time to call the shots with authority. He has to lead from the front, he has to lead by example. If a captain is out of form, the pressure can be unbearable. With the media trying to sensationalise every issue these days, it can be very tough, for it's impossible to explain your side of the story every time. There have been indications that Sachin Tendulkar has only to nod his head to become the Test captain. Who do you think is the ideal man to lead India in Tests? It would not be fair of me to answer this as there are four other selectors in the panel. India won in series in Bangladesh, England and the World T20 without a coach. Do you think we should continue with a cricket manager? We have two coaches --- Venkatesh Prasad (bowling) and Robin Singh (fielding). They have done a good job. We also have Roger Binny, Chandrakant Pandit and Paras Mhambrey as top quality coaches. Which selection committee meeting was the toughest in the last one year, and why? To be honest, I was never in favour of a zonal selection panel. That's the reason I refused to be on panel twice before. However, I have changed my mind as all the selectors on the panel at present are on the same wavelength. However, that may not be the case with every selection committee in the future. You've got to have people with integrity, sincerity and honesty. Luckily for me, I have people with these virtues on the panel. There have been promotions and relegations in the BCCI's player contracts list. What's the logic behind the changes? The players have been graded as per their performance in the last 12 months. There is a criteria in place for the same. ---------------------------------------- So you see, Vengsarkar has been singing this tune since right after the WC 2007, when Sachin and Ganguly were rested in the ODI series vs Bangladesh. There is nothing new that he has said this time!
Dravid's one day form has been excellent this year, completely dispelling the myth that he can not score fast. He did not really do anything wrong in the 2nd ODI, and his was the ONLY wicket out of our batsman that I felt was truly unlucky as it was an excellent catch from Johnson. I dont believe Dravid could have played that shot much better.
you are right!! He is the only batsman who can play and involve in buiding good partnerships.. When he holds one end the others should play around him.. he is a gifted batsman
He actually is attacking, but when it doesnt come off, as it sometimes is bound to, there are calls for his head....:sad_smile::sad_smile::sad_smile:

What's transpired at Chandigarh should show us all that Ganguly really should be in the side. He's had the experience and cool head to keep things under control and going at a still-respectable pace (68/0 after 15 overs) despite Tendulkar's shocking start to his innings. I wonder if Tendulkar might benefit from a brief rest though. A couple of games off, a little while to clear his mind or maybe bat a long innings or so for Mumbai before Pakistan arrive.