The Tech Thread

Sachin=GOD

The books I searched were more for testing the site... Right now I am into Investing and Mythology...I tried 'One Up on Wall Street' by Peter Lynch ( I had the physical book but one of my friend borrowed it and went abroad :(( )..as a typical desi, don't want to buy it again :--D Tried "The Sauptikaparvan of the Mahabharata: The Massacre at Night (Oxford World's Classics)" by W.J.Johnson too... No luck with these 2 ( books were listed but wall street had just cover page and mahabharata one dint open...
don blame me if this is not correct :--D http://en.bookfi.org/book/1065620

The books I searched were more for testing the site... Right now I am into Investing and Mythology...I tried 'One Up on Wall Street' by Peter Lynch ( I had the physical book but one of my friend borrowed it and went abroad :(( )..as a typical desi, don't want to buy it again :--D Tried "The Sauptikaparvan of the Mahabharata: The Massacre at Night (Oxford World's Classics)" by W.J.Johnson too... No luck with these 2 ( books were listed but wall street had just cover page and mahabharata one dint open...
Check your PM.

The Global Internet Is Being Attacked by Sharks, Google Confirms Reports of sharks biting the undersea cables that zip our data around the world date to at least 1987. That’s when the New York Times reported that “sharks have shown an inexplicable taste for the new fiber-optic cables that are being strung along the ocean floor linking the United States, Europe, and Japan.” Now it seems Google is biting back. According to Network World’s Brandon Butler, a Google product manager explained at a recent event that the company has taken to wrapping its trans-Pacific underwater cables in Kevlar to guard against shark bites. Google confirmed to me that its newest generation of undersea cables comes wrapped in special protective yarn and steel wire armor—and that the goal is to protect against cable cuts, including possible shark attacks. http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/08/15/shark_attacks_threaten_google_s_undersea_internet_cables_video.html

Solar energy that doesn't block the view Researchers have developed a new type of solar concentrator that when placed over a window creates solar energy while allowing people to actually see through the window. It is called a transparent luminescent solar concentrator and can be used on buildings, cell phones and any other device that has a flat, clear surface. 140819200219-large.jpg One of the benefits of this new development is its flexibility. While the technology is at an early stage, it has the potential to be scaled to commercial or industrial applications with an affordable cost. "It opens a lot of area to deploy solar energy in a non-intrusive way," Lunt said. "It can be used on tall buildings with lots of windows or any kind of mobile device that demands high aesthetic quality like a phone or e-reader. Ultimately we want to make solar harvesting surfaces that you do not even know are there." Lunt said more work is needed in order to improve its energy-producing efficiency. Currently it is able to produce a solar conversion efficiency close to 1 percent, but noted they aim to reach efficiencies beyond 5 percent when fully optimized. The best colored LSC has an efficiency of around 7 percent. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140819200219.htm

This Android Shield Could Encrypt Apps So Invisibly You Forget It’s There

A team from Georgia Tech has designed software that acts as an overlay on Android smartphones’ communication apps—like Gmail or Whatsapp—and mimics the apps’ user interfaces. When users type, the text is encrypted automatically before being passed on to the application and transmitted over the internet. Likewise, the interface invisibly decrypts text received from other users of the software. The result, as the researchers describe it, is a “transparent window” over apps that prevents unencrypted messages from leaving the user’s device, an invisible communications condom for your smartphone’s secrets. “The window acts as a proxy between the user and the app. But the beauty of it is that users feel like they’re interacting with the original app without much, if any, change,” says Wenke Lee, the Georgia Tech professor who led the developers. “Our goal is to make security that’s as easy as air. You just breathe and don’t even think about it.”
http://www.wired.com/2014/08/m-aegis-android-encryption/?mbid=social_twitter